Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Replacing fron wheels to match rear wheels on 07 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing fron wheels to match rear wheels on 07 coupe

I'm trying to eliminate the problem of not being able to rotate the tires on my 07 coupe. Can I just replace the front wheels with the same size as the rear wheels in order to be able to rotate the tires, or is it recommended to replace all 4 wheels at once?

What's the most cost effective method for solving this problem? I don't necessarily want to spend thousands on custom wheels.

Thanks.

Last edited by Ryusei; 03-25-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you trying to replace your rims or your tires?

You can go with the same size tire front and rear, I have done it for my winter snow tire set up, but you will lose the stagger set up for the car.

The rims should be the same size. On my 04, they put a bolt/nut on the front rotor so you couldn't put the rear wheels/tires on the front. The rear rim didn't have a cut out to accept the bolt......the front rims do.

I'm not sure if the 07 19" rims are set up the same way.

As long as you don't throw off the VDC/ABS systems, you should not have a major problem going with all the same size tires.....

Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Or you can do what most people do with staggered tires...
every 5k miles flip each tire from right to left. simple

Old 03-25-2008, 01:32 PM
My goal is to be able to rotate the wheels every 6K miles. I wasn't aware of a bolt on the rotor. That should be removable, right?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Mixturepinoy
Or you can do what most people do with staggered tires...
every 5k miles flip each tire from right to left. simple
Wouldn't I get more milage with a full rotation?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Ryusei
Wouldn't I get more milage with a full rotation?
You may, but running same width tires for a long period of time will cause problems with your VDC..

Here's a diagram of what i'm talking about..

Attached Thumbnails Replacing fron wheels to match rear wheels on 07 coupe-rotate.png  
Old 03-25-2008, 01:44 PM
I read elsewhere on this forum that others had eliminated their staggered setup. So as long as I'm not running dirrectional tires, I can just rotate them side to side and improve the milage on them?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You may, but running same width tires for a long period of time will cause problems with your VDC..

How does VDC sense the front wheels? I was under the impression it only monitors the rears.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts

running the same width for an extended period of time is NOT going to mess with the VDC. THat's like saying that you cant put staggered wheels on a sedan because they didnt come staggered from the factory.

And cross rotating the stock wheels/tires will do you no good because they are assymetrical tires (Bridestone RE050A) meaning they can only be mounted one way so the inside will always be on the inside. If you have directional tires, then YES, you can cross rotate and prolong the life of your tires.
-GP-

Old 03-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Ok, so I'm guessing that my options are as follows:

(1) Keep the staggered setup and buy new tires that are not assymetrical or directional and then just rotate them side to side.

(2) Eliminate the staggered setup with new front wheels and buy new tires that can fully be rotated.

It seems to me that the most cost effective method is to just eliminate the assymetrical or directional aspects so that I can rotate the tires on a regular basis. Discount tire does rotations for free, but there's obviously a charge if they have to remove the tire from the rim.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
running the same width for an extended period of time is NOT going to mess with the VDC. THat's like saying that you cant put staggered wheels on a sedan because they didnt come staggered from the factory.

And cross rotating the stock wheels/tires will do you no good because they are assymetrical tires (Bridestone RE050A) meaning they can only be mounted one way so the inside will always be on the inside. If you have directional tires, then YES, you can cross rotate and prolong the life of your tires.
-GP-
hmmmm... changed my whole way of thinking..

Old 03-25-2008, 02:02 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

no, No, NO.... you WANT directional tires if you are going to flip flop them every 6-8k miles, that is the whole purpose. You use the tire for 6-8k miles then when you flip them, the old inside is now on the outside of the wheel and the old outside that has fresh tread is now on the inside.

As far as doing this, at discount tire, they will charge you the same price as they would to mount and balance 4 new tires, which ranges anywhere from $50-70 (used to work there but forgot how much it costs)
-GP-

Old 03-25-2008, 02:02 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

hmmmm... changed my whole way of thinking..
its all good Tito, a lot of people are misinformed. That's why we have the forums, you learn something new everyday.
-GP-

Old 03-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
no, No, NO.... you WANT directional tires if you are going to flip flop them every 6-8k miles, that is the whole purpose. You use the tire for 6-8k miles then when you flip them, the old inside is now on the outside of the wheel and the old outside that has fresh tread is now on the inside.

As far as doing this, at discount tire, they will charge you the same price as they would to mount and balance 4 new tires, which ranges anywhere from $50-70 (used to work there but forgot how much it costs)
-GP-
So what do I need to do to be able to perform a normal tire rotation? Do I need new front wheels or are they all the same - meaning, I only need a matched set of tires.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:27 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

that depends on which size wheels you have... The stock 18" wheels are all the same size (18x8 +30) they just have staggered tires. The stock 19" wheels are staggered wheels and tires (19x8 +30/19x8.5 +33)

If you have the 18's then you could just get 245/45/18's for the front so they match the rear and call it a day. If you have the 19's then i'd swap out the 19x8 fronts for a set of the 19x8.5 rears and get 245/40/19 tires to match the rear.
-GP-

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing fron wheels to match rear wheels on 07 coupe