Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

BF Goodrich KDW V2, problems with beads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
BF Goodrich KDW V2, problems with beads?

Hey everyone,
I have Stern Wheels with the above tires on them. They have about 18k miles and are wearing perfectly. I have an issue with the rears. They are 275/35/19s. I have had issues with them holding in air. Before, they would leak 2-3 pounds of air every three days or so. Once I had them rotated between rims this spring, one tire would go flat within a night. Tire Discounters claims its the rim, because of paint chips on the inside. I told them its the tire, and another manager from another location agreed. Well, they replaced the tire, and again a brand new tire wouldnt hold air (this is tire #3 with same issues. So, since i had a few scratches, I called a professional rim repair place here in Columbus Ohio, and after he checked it and so called fixed what Tire discounters claims is the issue, it still leaked. The rim repair shop also stated there is no reason why this tire should leak, the rim is clean, currosion free, and strait, so it must be the tire.

So, has anyone else had issues with these tires? Outside this they are great rain and preformance tires.

Also, Tire Discounters claims its the wheel so I should have to fix the wheel on my own cost. But, when I asked the manager how paint chips happen on the inside of the rim, he stated "through natural wear and tear from mounting and balancing the tires on the rims." So I asked him then that he should have to repair the rim, or share in the cost. He quickly says "wait, its not our fault!" I mean come on, he just said that the paint chips happen from mounting and balancing the tire...

Anyways, sorry for the long rant, I havent driven my G in a Month now because of this....

So again I ask, has anyone else had this issue with these particular tires?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have the same tires you have. my first set was 245/35/19 all around. every few days i would have to refill to a good psi, right around 45 psi. sometimes it would get down to about 20 psi. Got a new set of rims, staggered. went with 245/40 and 275/39/19. same leaking situation one tire in front and both in back. got my 4th set of rims currently on my car, same staggered setup. transferred the same tires to the new rims, the issue still persists. i have an air compressor so i just fill them back up to the required psi and go on. they are great in the wet like you said, but it does get annoying.

not sure if you have tried nitrogen. By nature, th molecules are thicker in nitrogen, so it would be harder for them to leak out, but at the same time, you have to pay for that, some places $25 to $35 per tire. and if it still leaks, your out at least $100. it sucks but i'm sure more people probably have the same issue.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i havent had that many issues with leaking. but DO NOT drive them when the air is low. im a fool that did and im now paying a grip to get new ones. apparently one of the tires sensors was loose and that caused it to leak. i got tired of filling it everyday and didnt take it to a shop to get it looked at. well i ended up shredding the inside of the tire since the ruber was bent so much. lesson learned. dont be a moron like me.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I've had BF Goodrich KDW; when these tires are new; they have these excess hair like rubber on the sidewalls of these tires. Before they get mounted on any rim, make sure they shave the side wall. I've had this issue in the beginning and luckily one guy on the shop remembered they had this problem on the KDW's before. After they shaved the sides; I've not had a leakage. Great aggressive tires.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:10 PM
^^^ thanks for that answer! I will mention it next time.

The wheel is at the shop and hopefully when it comes back, all will be good.

When they had the tire off last, I had them check to see if the leak was from the TPMS, but it wasnt. It was tight and just for kicks, they replaced the seal.

When I get the rim back this week, I'll let you guys know how it turned out...

Old 04-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by session_road86
I've had BF Goodrich KDW; when these tires are new; they have these excess hair like rubber on the sidewalls of these tires. Before they get mounted on any rim, make sure they shave the side wall. I've had this issue in the beginning and luckily one guy on the shop remembered they had this problem on the KDW's before. After they shaved the sides; I've not had a leakage. Great aggressive tires.
i know the little bristles that you are talking about on the sidewall, but how will that contribute to the leaking?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:42 AM
I bought a set of KDW2's a few weeks ago.. I had the same problem with one of the fronts. They used some black goo stuff and its doing great. Not a great solution. But I attributed it to being mounted and driven on when it was 45F that day. Maybe it was just the tire :/ They used water to check the rest of the wheels and a rear had one of the thin stubblely things down in the bead, it was leaking albeit so slowly I hadnt noticed yet.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:00 AM
Great I got these tires because of how good they were but I wasnt crazy about the way they looked. Ill have them Friday. I hope I didnt make a bad decision.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:01 PM
not at all.. I went out and checked after reading this post, havent lost *any* in over a week. It was easily correctable. In my case, with the front, I'm sure it was the combination of a 35 series 19 being mounted (and stretched over the lip) at under 50F. They reseated the bead and its golden. Honestly the stubbly rubber things can happen to any tire, but these BFGs must be located close enough to the bead to allow that to happen. Its easy to visually see. I wouldnt worry. Still in the top 5 tires you can run period, and probably in the top 2 for value.

Edit: removed last paragraph.. board timed out and edited the wrong post

Last edited by TimW; 04-10-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I've had several sets of KDW2's in various 19/20" sizes. I actually had these problems twice. Problem went away on its own after combinations of reinflating and remounting the tires. Weird...

Old 04-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I've had several sets of KDW2's in various 19/20" sizes. I actually had these problems twice. Problem went away on its own after combinations of reinflating and remounting the tires. Weird...
Was that when you were driving around on 0 psi w/ your run flats?

Old 04-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Strtsk8r321
Great I got these tires because of how good they were but I wasnt crazy about the way they looked. Ill have them Friday. I hope I didnt make a bad decision.
hopefully you wont have problems. they are good tires though. I actually like the thread pattern, very different and stands out from the rest. good luck with them.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:39 PM
not to go OT here, but I saw a mention of 45psi? is that what others are running? (19s here). I've been running at 38.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
as it stands right now...i am still waiting on a verdict from the wheel repair guy...man, its been over a month since i have driven my G...good thing I have my BMW K1200RS to keep me entertained!!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Was that when you were driving around on 0 psi w/ your run flats?
Jeff, nice to see you posting just for the sake of posting

We're talking about KDW2's here, nothing to do with that set.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BF Goodrich KDW V2, problems with beads?