Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

COILOVERS V.S. SPRINGS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COILOVERS V.S. SPRINGS

hey i really dont know anything about suspension can somebody answer some of my questions plz?

1) I've read in some threads that you need to purchase a camber arm and control arm when installing springs. Are these really necessary?

2) What is the difference between a coilover and a spring? Which one is better?

3) If coilovers are a better way to go (since they cost much more) is the Nismo coilover as goo as the HKS one?

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2004, 04:21 AM
Re: COILOVERS V.S. SPRINGS

And also that same I read said that there would be significant uneven tire wear with springs w/o camber arms and control arms.

Since coilovers are so much more expensive, would getting coilovers eliminate any problems that might exist with getting springs?

thanks.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:58 PM

1) I've read in some threads that you need to purchase a camber arm and control arm when installing springs. Are these really necessary?

RD They will correct the amount of tire wear going to 1 part of the tire. If you get them they will increase life span of the tires. If you do auto X and looking for handling you wont want them. Lowering your car w/ springs will give you more negative camber which will let you run the corners w/ more speed. I'll be doing KG/MM and no correction since i auto X ill want the extra handling over tire wear.

2) What is the difference between a coilover and a spring? Which one is better?

RD coilovers come in different forms. Some fully adjustable some you can adjust only some ways. Coilovers are a good balance of springs and shocks. Just springs will kill off our g35 shocks quicker since the harder spring is too much for the stock stoch to handle for a wile. If you have the money get Coilovers w/ full adjustability and all the camber setup. Coilovers let you adjust camber.. depending on the set you get.

3) If coilovers are a better way to go (since they cost much more) is the Nismo coilover as goo as the HKS one?

RD Nismo set is not adjustable. And is a good sport street setup. HKS the 2300 ones are fully adjustable and can let u play with the settings till you get what you want.

I' would go w/ coilover but since i dont want to spend 2300 i rather get springs for now see how they are. This will let me know what kind of ride setting i want in the future.

Old 04-07-2004, 01:57 AM

hey thanks for spending time to answer all my questions fully.
I really appreciate it. I just have two more questions.

1) Are the HKS coilovers the best ones?

2) Are the $2300 HKS coilovers you are referring to the HKS Hipermax coilovers? (Cuz I've seen these for as low as 1500).

Old 04-07-2004, 02:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait wait wait. lemme get this straight:
Coilovers let you adjust the camber too?
i know they adjust height, damper, but camber too? which kit does this. im very interested now.

G35S 6MT
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts
JWT popcharger + Z-tube
Stillen True Dual Exhaust
6-wire ground kit

Old 04-07-2004, 02:54 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

The 350Z/G35 coupe/sedan do not allow for camber adjustment via the upper shock mount. These cars do not run a strut based suspension. Only way front camber can be changed is with a new upper control arm. Rear camber has some factory adjustment, additional camber adjustment comes courtesy of adjustable camber arms.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 04-07-2004, 12:53 PM

OK! I forgot about G35's dynamics suspension system. Everyone is trying to use dynamics suspension now because of F1. So no camber control for the G's from shock-mounts. But older cars u can adjust camber from the shock mounts w/ camber kits or plates...

HKS are not the best... The best according to friends in japan are Apexi N1. For track racing/best handling.

A kit like the N1 is set up so hard or stiff that it will last 5-6months in New Jersey's roads.

Also depending on how you setup will determine "the best" for you.

How you have it setup will play a huge roll. Each road surface is different and there is no 1 setting that is best for everything.

I think this is why nismo made their setup. It’s a balance between good street setting and track. Not too much on any side.

But every kit is setup different with different pressure ratings for different types of road surfaces.

You can mix and match but that is for professionals who know what you can match and you cannot because if you or me go out matching shock pressures to springs we will 100% make a mistake and ruin the shock.

Zeal uses SWIFT springs (which is another company they own.) made by Endless is a great suspension company and now that they are in Cali they will overhaul suspension kit for much cheaper than apexi will…

A lot of people will say JIC kits are the best… No they are good kits but JIC’s quality in past 2yrs has dropped so much and its just not worth buying their stuff anymore.

It all depends on what you want to do?

Old 04-08-2004, 03:39 PM

I'm Thinking of HKS LS+ Coilovers or Tein Flex or CS W/EDFC install when my car comes out from the bodyshop... My question is which one feels more like a stock??? for example, when you go over the bumps, and etc... I had Tein spring w/Tokiko on my maxima before and it was very stiff....and i dont like that...

for price HKS LS= $1500, HKS LS+ = $1750 Tein Flex $1430 and edfc $335...

<font color=blue>*2004 DG 6-MT, Premium, Side Molding, Alum pedal sets, Aero Package, JWT Popcharger+Z-Tube for Now</font color=blue>

Old 04-08-2004, 05:52 PM

that's a great price on the flex w/ edfc. Can you pm me with where I could get the same deal?
Al