Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Can changing to a different brand tire effect acceleration and braking performance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Exclamation Can changing to a different brand tire effect acceleration and braking performance?

Ok...here's my story...

I picked up my 05 IP coupe earlier this week. Love the car, hated the awful OEM 19 Bridgestone front tire noise. The car has 22K on the dash and these tires were just about done.

I had an appointment with discount tire to get a replacement set Kumho 225/40/19 ((which at the time I placed the order, I was told it was the only tire in the price range that would be there in time for the appointment etc etc))

Finally, yesterday I was told they're all on back order and won't be in for possibly weeks. The guy frantically tries to locate a set of tires for me and calls me this morning.

I ended up having the Nexan N3000s installed on the front. I drive off and head back to work...ok..noise is gone. I hear some tire noise (fronts a little bit louder vs the OEM Bridgestones in the back and although its not a deal breaker, its enough to take notice))

Now here comes the observation...immediately I notice the car isn't as peppy to accelerate and takes a little bit longer to stop vs with the stock tires on the front. I'm thinking it can be the grip action of the Nexan N3000s vs the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas

I'm feeling like trying to take these back and ask them to swap them out for the stock tires or trying another brand even if I have to come out of pocket with the difference.

My question to the board is, can changing out a set of tires cause that much of a noticeable drop/add in braking and accelerating performance? If so how much of a difference have you guys felt with other brands vs the OEM tire? Which ones do you like better??

Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, another source that contributes to the difference can be the weight of the new tire compared to the old as well

Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Oh boy! Here we go...I'm back to the wheel weights again lol. Now I have to find out how much these tires weigh vs the OEM ones.

If this helps, I got 245/35/19 for the fronts and told them I'd be back for a matching brand for the rear ((this was before they mounted them). I was told I can go 275 on the back...

Now, if I get the matching rear set for the fronts, could that help restore some of that missing grip?? Like I'm wondering if I'm experiencing this because I still have the OEM tires on the rear. The OEM rear ones are 245/40/19

Old 05-24-2008, 05:33 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
you shouldn't go 275 on the rear of the OEM wheels