Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Toyo T1R FTL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G
I do want to try the nitto invo's though...

-Sean
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
decent tire but the downpart is that u can not rotate from side to side. So if u have over -2.0 camber like mine, im guessing they will take about half the time of T1Rs to wear out.

A friend of mine had those and Toyos before on his GTI and GTO, he told me the performance of the Toyos are better.
Hope it made sense. I was not talking about toyos when i said u can not move rotate side to side. I was referring to nittos.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Hope it made sense. I was not talking about toyos when i said u can not move rotate side to side. I was referring to nittos.
That is what im asking. Why can you not rotate the nittos from side to side?

-Sean

Old 06-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Because the tire is not symmetrical like the toyos. There is only one way that the tire can be mounted on the rim. In other words, this tire is directional and outside portion of the tire is not the same as the inside.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:44 PM
I still do not see why you could not rotate this tire...i see the main grove which pumps water out, but would it mater if that grove is on the inside or outside of the tire?

-Sean

Old 06-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Nismo G, actually im wrong. I just looked at the tire and figured out that the tire is not directional. So that means u can rotate this tire from side to side and not have to take it off the rim. My bad.. I thought these were directional tires for some reason.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Ok i just talked to my friend and he said that tires are not directional that means u can switch them around with the rim attached to it. But as far as the outside and inside part goes the tire's outside part has to be outside. That means if u have camber wear inside of the tire there is no way to get around that by switching them side to side because if u even do, the outside part of the tire is still going to be outside and the camber wear is still going to remain the same.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Ok i just talked to my friend and he said that tires are not directional that means u can switch them around with the rim attached to it. But as far as the outside and inside part goes the tire's outside part has to be outside. That means if u have camber wear inside of the tire there is no way to get around that by switching them side to side because if u even do, the outside part of the tire is still going to be outside and the camber wear is still going to remain the same.
I understand that. With the tire having the tread pattern that it does can you take the right rear off and put it on the left rear rim and then take the left rear tire and mount it on the right rear rim or can you not do this because of the main water channels location?

-Sean

Old 06-22-2008, 04:00 PM
I understand that. With the tire having the tread pattern that it does can you take the right rear off and put it on the left rear rim and then take the left rear tire and mount it on the right rear rim or can you not do this because of the main water channels location?

-Sean
No, therefor shortening the potential tire life for people that have negative camber like myself. My guess is because the main water channel location.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:07 PM
No, therefor shortening the potential tire life for people that have negative camber like myself. My guess is because the main water channel location.
That is stupid. The tire design is impeccable, but because of the fact that it cant be re mounted and balanced makes it ****.

-Sean

Old 06-22-2008, 04:09 PM
That is stupid. The tire design is impeccable, but because of the fact that it cant be re mounted and balanced makes it ****.

-Sean
well many tires are like this including PS2s, and OEM bridgestones.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
anyway...

Anymore T1R reviews?... I have 3 days to go with another tire... actually it might be too late - the vendor has them at the shop waiting to be mounted...

For those with T1Rs... My main concern is the reports of soft sidewall... I'm going 40 series as it is - a soft 40 is going to **** me off! So how bad is it?...

Old 06-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
anyway...

Anymore T1R reviews?... I have 3 days to go with another tire... actually it might be too late - the vendor has them at the shop waiting to be mounted...

For those with T1Rs... My main concern is the reports of soft sidewall... I'm going 40 series as it is - a soft 40 is going to **** me off! So how bad is it?...
Just go 10mm wider and go 5 mm less in sidewall thickness. Im running T1R 285/30/19 on my 19x9.5 volks...fits perfect.

EDIT: i forgot to say you will have less sidewall flex.

-Sean

Last edited by Nismo G; 06-22-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Just go 10mm wider and go 5 mm less in sidewall thickness. Im running T1R 285/30/19 on my 19x9.5 volks...fits perfect.

EDIT: i forgot to say you will have less sidewall flex.

-Sean
I'm doing 245 all around because I don’t want to stager and I don’t want so much rolling resistance on the front... I have 8.5 wide rims (they took over 4 months so I'm not going to consider getting a wider rim)...

So I'm relatively set on 40 series... that profile is fine IMO... a decent tire with reasonable sidewall stiffness will be fine in the size I intend to run.

But again, I'm now concerned about the T1Rs... but changing the size to compensate for weak sidewalls is not in my plan.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
I'm doing 245 all around because I don’t want to stager and I don’t want so much rolling resistance on the front... I have 8.5 wide rims (they took over 4 months so I'm not going to consider getting a wider rim)...

So I'm relatively set on 40 series... that profile is fine IMO... a decent tire with reasonable sidewall stiffness will be fine in the size I intend to run.

But again, I'm now concerned about the T1Rs... but changing the size to compensate for weak sidewalls is not in my plan.
You have the same size rims all around on the coupe?

-Sean

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Toyo T1R FTL