Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

VDC!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VDC!!

I have a 6MT. If I were to race someone in a short sprint. Would I want to keep the VDC on or off. It seems that if the VDC is off, the wheels keep spinning and thus time is lost, but if the VDC is on then the engine cuts power when spinning. Please suggest.

Old 04-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Re: VDC!!

if i were you i'd go to an empty lot and practice driving with the vdc off. there have been a lot of freak accidents with the vdc being off so until you know your car well, keep it on. as far as racing goes, most of the guys turn it off when they race.

cb/graphite g35c - fully loaded
jwt pop charger - 350z tube

Old 04-25-2004, 10:13 PM

Have you ever driven a reasonably powerful manual shift vehicle before that was not equipped with this kind of VDC?

Regardless, my advice is TURN IT OFF. Get KPierson's VDC memory device, if he ever gets it finished. (Are you reading this Kevin? :>))

Here is what will happen if you do not turn it off. You redline first gear and hit second. You do this very fast and almost instantaneously have your accelerator foot planted near the floor. You are immediately thrown back into the seat by the G forces! Its like you're being launched on a rocket! This is almost as good as my old buddy's 68 SS396 Camaro! 250 to 500 milliseconds later you are thrown violently forward as the car completely cuts off the gas because the wheels were spinning! OMG! WTF!! You're sitting there cursing because you forgot to turn the d@mn VDC off and you look like you missed the gear as your opponent flies by while you are waiting for the gas to come back on. You may catch up when the gas comes back on but the fun is GONE.

Maybe its just my VDC, but to me it is so slow to to make corrections and the corrections it makes are so hamhanded that it would be far better if it did not exist. This is the first car I ever had with it, and it would be a far better car without it.

Turn off the VDC and learn how the car performs without it. Then go get 'em.

2004.5 TB/Willow 6MT Coupe
Aluminum Pedals
BEL RX75 Pro Plus
K&N Hi-Flow

Old 04-26-2004, 12:23 AM

The only time I drive with the VDC on is in the rain. Better tires might help to reduce wheel spin. The stock ones suck.

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT/Black/Graphite/15% tint/6 wire GroundingGear™

Old 04-26-2004, 12:31 AM

I wish the VDC button was in a more quickly accessible spot. Like down by the ashtray or something.

2004 G35C 6MT + Nav, Silverstone

Old 04-26-2004, 12:37 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was just racing an old porsche and made a wide left-hand turn, the tires peeled out, the SLIP lights started flashing and the VDC kicked in. the rpm's were around 5.5 but no gas... it was quite embarrassing, although it probably saves lives! i say only turn the VDC off when you're drag racing, but maybe leave it on when you're racing on the streets.

2004/BO/G/aero/splash/prem/perf/cc/22%tint

Old 04-26-2004, 11:01 AM
DED

roland,

My thoughts EXCATLY.

2004 G35C 6MT Black. Sweet.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:14 PM

Coming from a long history of FWD cars, I'm taking my time learning the RWD game. It is important to understand your own driving skills, knowing what you can and can't do in your car. I'd imagine that MOST people do not know their abilities behind the wheel of a car, for this reason alone, I keep VDC on unless I decide to take off aggressively. So far no problems, but with my lack of experience in RWD, I think I'll just keep it on for now. I'd like to take some "driver education" courses at a local race way sometime soon. The only thing keeping me from doing that is getting my big head inside of a helmet and then fitting it inside the coupe.

However, if I was to ever take up drifting as a hobby (as some of the people I know do [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]) I'd probably curse the day that VDC was born.

And lastly... Why isn't the darn button in a better place? I for one have popped the trunk when trying to turn VDC off. Now that SUCKS! "Wanna race? Let me pop my trunk first... duh"

Self proclaimed member of the 300bhp club (soon to be even more [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img])

Old 04-26-2004, 12:58 PM

Just an FYI....someone HAS relocated the VDC before. It is posted in the FAQ & DIY forum:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part=

04 G35c DP/Willow, aero, prem, guards...
Vortech S/C
R/T cats
Stillen exhaust
JWT clutch & flywheel
Eibach sways
clear corners
brake reservoir cover
grounding wires

Old 04-26-2004, 03:02 PM

I agree, outside of the fact this VDC sucks, the button placement sucks worse. I've looked at constjs thread on moving the thing several times and I've thought about that too. I could probably live with it if the button was right by the stick. It would be a lot easier to remember to turn it off. Course, if I had a module that could remember for me, well, that would be ideal. And I wouldn't have to cut the console.

Neffster, with all due respect, I don't think one can learn one's own or the car's capabilities running in VDC mode. One must exercise good judgement and common sense, in short, recognizing one's own limitations when VDC is off.

Blather, Blather, Blather...

All I know is the car is about 10 times more fun with the VDC off than on. And its faster too.

I think I'll just pull my fuse again, screw the stupid dash lights.

2004.5 TB/Willow 6MT Coupe
Aluminum Pedals
BEL RX75 Pro Plus
K&N Hi-Flow

Old 04-26-2004, 03:09 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

250 to 500 milliseconds later you are thrown violently forward as the car completely cuts off the gas because the wheels were spinning! OMG! WTF!! You're sitting there cursing because you forgot to turn the d@mn VDC off and you look like you missed the gear as your opponent flies by while you are waiting for the gas to come back on

<hr></blockquote>

Roland, LOL, that's exactly what happened to me my second run my first time out!

2 G or NOT 2 G, there is no question!

Old 04-26-2004, 03:57 PM
G Kreuzer

What's up Neffster!

Yup, I agree the button's poorly placed. Perhaps, that was Nissan's intention; to discourage the use of VDC off.

I just happened to have relocated my VDC button last week and here's what it'll look like for 6MTs ...

Looks great, works even better! A few caveats while attempting this mod. Let's just say what lies beneath the surface has a few hidden surprises. Let me know if you need help.

Clint (THX723)

Old 04-26-2004, 05:52 PM

Great spot !!

For those who want to relocate it take your time with it and go slow. It is awsome to have the VDC control by the shifter. On when you want, off when you want without having to search for the button.

G35C - 6MT, DG/G, Aero, BSM, Flaps, Stillen Intake, Z tube, Crawford v5, 6 Wire Grounding Kit, Clear Corners, 2nd Battery (Brake) Cover, Sirius, Momo F16 Evo Shifter, 30% 3M Tint & more to go

238586-Momo Shifter.jpg

Old 04-27-2004, 08:33 AM

I don't think I'm brave enough to attempt that mod myself. What did you do about the hole in the place where VDC used to be? How close to Central Florida do you live? haha...

Self proclaimed member of the 300bhp club (soon to be even more [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img])

Old 04-27-2004, 10:47 AM

The VDC button is fine where it is. If you need to switch it on/off that quickly, you probably don't have the time anyway and should concentrate on the road. [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VDC!!