Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Adjust Sport suspension for softer ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjust Sport suspension for softer ride

Is there a way I can adjust the stock sport suspension for a softer ride? My wife is now pregnant and can't handle the harsh ride the current setting offer. Would or can the dealer adjust this some what?

Thanks guy.

Old 04-26-2004, 01:46 AM
Re: Adjust Sport suspension for softer ride

The stock Sport suspension really has no way to adjust. You could go with aftermarket suspension and get a little softer. Or maybe buy a stock non-Sport suspension that some one is selling here at G35 driver.

Base 6MT Silver sedan
Stillen Exhaust
Stillen CAI
Eibach Pro Kit
Eibach Sway Bars

Old 04-26-2004, 04:17 AM

i'll trade ya! where do you live?

matt<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by matters on 04/26/04 01:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 04-26-2004, 07:03 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will also trade suspensions with you. Where do you live?
I'm in the Houston Texas area.

2003 TwBlue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards, HKS exhaust,
14 wire Grounding kit, 350Z duct, Stillen CAI
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled alum pedals

Old 04-26-2004, 07:20 AM

If you have a 6MT I'll trade cars with you... I have a 03.5 5AT without the sport suspension.

My wife's pregnant too but I don't care. My desire to go fast comes first Seriously I drove both the sport and normal suspension and there really isn't that much of a difference. Have you driven the non sport suspension model?

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages

Old 04-26-2004, 10:07 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Alderran,

Really? I was under the impression that the Sport Suspension
was a bit tighter, diving less in hard turns. I would like
improved handeling, but if the Sport Suspension is not that
much different, maybe upgraded sways are the way to go.

2003 TwBlue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards, HKS exhaust,
14 wire Grounding kit, 350Z duct, Stillen CAI
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled alum pedals

Old 04-26-2004, 10:46 AM

I have 2003.5 6MT Black/Black 19,000 miles on it right now. Are you serious about trading? Mine has all the possible option Infiniti offer (Nav, Premium, blah blah blah), except for the overpriced body kit and the imho ugly tail. I'm in S. CA, Long Beach Area.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:51 AM

I haven't driven the non-sport model, look like I have to go to the dealer to test drive on of these then. Is there a ride quality different between 03 and 04 non-sport?

Old 04-26-2004, 11:19 AM

I am in Boston. Wish you were closer I have Black on Black 03.5 5AT with every option except the Nav and sport suspension (guess you wouldn't need the winter package) and 16K miles. I got the 5AT because my wife was going to be driving the car now that she is pregnant again we are looking at minivans she can drive that and in that case I don't want an automatic. Oh well life sucks I should have bought a minivan first because I'd rather have a g35 coupe with a 6mt

But I drove both back to back and ended up choosing the one without the sport suspension because I didn't like the silver center console. I drove them both on the same roads I could hardly even tell the difference cornering or ride wise.

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by alderran on 04/26/04 08:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 04-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have another car with a softer ride that your wife can use during the pregnancy? You may be kicking yourself 9 months from now if you loosen the car up. Most aftermarket suspension parts are geared towards making the car even more sporty than the Infiniti sport suspension, so the ride tends to be the same or get a little harsher.

Which tires are on your car? The Bridgestone Turanza's provide the most comfortable ride of the 3 OEM tire choices. It also would help to make sure your tires are at the factory-recommended 30psi for a softer ride. Running around at 32 or 35psi can make the ride a little bumpier. If that helps a little, but not enough, you might also look into getting a set of 16" rims and tires, which would give you a taller tire able to absorb more of the road (plus, it's easier to switch back than it would be to switch the sport suspension back later).

Old 04-26-2004, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the advice, I am not sure which tire, i'll run out and check at lunch. But I have my tire at 32psi so that may explain it, i'll set it at 30psi to see if it help. Is there an after market tire that improve ride quality? may be that a quick way to reduce the problem, and I won't regret 7 months later . Which 16" wheel do you recommend? is there a size spec I need to know to shop for one? Sorry this is a dumb question, but I never buy aftermarket wheel before. I probaly want the tire wall to be as thick as possible also to help ride quality. Would one of those Lexus GS300 wheel fit? Thanks.

alderran:
The silver console is growing on me, I think the G has one of the best looking interior right now (love the lightning at night, felt like i'm in one of those fighter jet cockpit), save the the upcoming M45. I used to compare BMW 3 interior to be superior design, that is not the case for me right now. My cousing has an M3 and I found the interior to be too plain, lots of blank spaces on the dash board. The build quality is a step above the G though, I have to give BMW that..

Old 04-26-2004, 03:00 PM

haha, oh, i meant to just trade the suspension components. not cars, if so, i'm out of the running

Old 04-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, since it's probably a temporary thing, I'd just get cheap steel wheels so you don't blow much money on them. (Unless aesthetics are really important to you.) Pull up tirerack.com and pull up the '03 G35 Sedan. You'll see there's a 16" tire size as well as a 17" size for original equipment. Plus, they list optional 16" sizes -- it's the optional size that gives you a better selection of tires. You can research the different choices there. I'd say you'd want to look at the Touring and Grand Touring tire categories, and pay attention to the customer reviews of the tire for ride comfort and noise. If you'll just be commuting in the car with no aggressive driving during this temporary time period, you can also get tires with a lower speed rating than V, which gives you more (and less expensive) choices. I wouldn't recommend that normally -- and make sure you pay attention to the load ratings on the tires (a number like 93 after the size on the sidewall.. such as "215/55R17 93V"). Go equal or higher on the load rating, a tire with a lower rating may not safely support the car's weight. After looking at the choices on their site, you can also call their 800 number and ask them questions. They're very helpful. If you do order from tirerack, they can ship you tires mounted and balanced on the rims and ready-to-install on the car. You could swap them out with the emergency jack and lug wrench in the trunk, if you're so inclined.

Actually, I'd highly recommend you call them and ask how they think this will help your ride comfort problem. I can tell you that all this will make the ride smoother, but I don't know how much smoother.. because I haven't put tires like this on my car.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I never test drove my car at night, I didn't realize how much like a cockpit it would look. Many people have commented. Not favorably.

It might have helped if the lights for the navigation system would go off when it is recessed.

2004 Sedan/DVD Navigation/Desert Platinum/Willow

Old 04-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

KevinK: If you'd driven the car at night and noticed that it looked like a "cockpit", would that have honestly prevented you from buying one?? If that alone is enough to turn you off, then you probably shouldn't own one.

Test drive ANY new car in this price category, and you're going to see a "light show" at night - Acura TL, Lexus 330, Lexus IS300, Saab, Volvo, Cadillac, etc., etc. ad naseaum, and yes, even staid BMW to a lesser degree.

As for unfavorable comments, my solution is simple - I'll just pull over and let you out so that you can walk, so as not be further "disturbed" by my interior dash lights. Strangely, I have heard no unfavorable comments to date.

Sport Sedan Fan
2004 6MT Sedan/Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adjust Sport suspension for softer ride