Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Expensive Michelins or Cheap Kumhos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expensive Michelins or Cheap Kumhos

I need new tires soon for my 2006 G35 6MT. I don't like the OEM Bridgestones so I've been researching other tires... I've read tons of reviews... For a number of reasons I've reduced my list of choices to two (or maybe three if I decide to reconsider Yokohama Advan Sports). The two choices are Kumho Ecsta SPT's that I can buy for $660 (set of four) or Michelin Pilot PS2's that I can buy for $1352 (set of four)... I've read enough to see that the Michelin tires would likely be a better tire but a factor of 2 better???? I almost didn't buy the car because I came to know about the tires before I bought it (terribly expensive, rock hard ride, no tread left after about 20k miles)... But it was still the best car for what I wanted and because I wanted the 6-speed, I had no choice but to come to this place of needing to buy these pricey tires ... So now I'm there... I can afford the more expensive tire but what am I buying??? I've heard the Michelins don't last any longer so why would they be better??? Are they a lot quieter??? I've read as many posts that say no as yes!!!! I'll buy the Michelins if I can determine some compelling reason to do so. Otherwise, I will go with the Kumho's... Or maybe the Yoko's... I do consider lack of road noise and ride comfort to be more important than handling, but again, to justify such a huge price, the Michelins would have to be waaaay quiet and waaaay smooth with respect to the Kumho's... Any help or advice you might be able to offer would be much appreciated... thanks much... bob...

Old 07-16-2008, 11:55 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Quality vs Cheap....!

Consider this diitto, you life depends on those tires! You can save money a
lot of different ways but I'd NEVER go cheap on tires. You'll love the Michelins
and they'll never let you down. Soon as my Bstones die I'll be back with
the tires I like the best....MICHELINS Screw the cost!!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Or go for something in between like BFG KDW2, Bridgestone RE050A, Toyo T1R, Falken FK452, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, etc...

Old 07-17-2008, 03:00 AM
How about some not-so-expensive Toyo T1Rs?
I love mine.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the OEM bridgestones have to be one of the worst tires I've ever ridden on.. Obnoxiously loud and uncomfortable.

I really dont know why tires are so god damn expensive.. Discount tire wanted 1900 bucks for a set of 4 michilen pilot ps2 tires... Thats more expensive than some sets of rims.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by diitto
I do consider lack of road noise and ride comfort to be more important than handling
G35 are RWD are very aggressive on the tires factored how heavy your foot is. Overtime around after 20K+ you will start to develop road noise no matter what tire set-up you go with. It just comes down to handling performance ont the tire your looking for. Road noise is fixed with your Boise System. I'm running the Kuhmo's and pretty impressed for the performance and handling for being not too expensive. Noise on the other hand very quiet since they are still new. I'm pretty sure they will develop noise after 20K but cost was the biggest factor for me.

Originally Posted by gary c
Consider this diitto, you life depends on those tires! You can save money a
lot of different ways but I'd NEVER go cheap on tires. You'll love the Michelins
and they'll never let you down. Soon as my Bstones die I'll be back with
the tires I like the best....MICHELINS Screw the cost!!
Michellen's is considered quite road tires but not the best when it comes to handling and performance.

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Or go for something in between like BFG KDW2, Bridgestone RE050A, Toyo T1R, Falken FK452, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, etc...
I like the BFG KDW2, these tires are very good looking. Best tires I've ran so far when it comes to handling and performance. The thread pattern on these tires are so good in Aqua Threading. They are a little thicker than most tires as well. After 20K+ I had to turn on the Boise System Noise Reduction System. But they are bit pricey too but definitely in the future I will run them again.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:13 PM
I have no complaints w/ my Kumhos

Old 07-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned
Unless you track the car or drive like a maniac on the edge of grip loss daily go for a harder & longer lasting tread compound on a cheaper tire and get your money's worth. In fact, most sane people who don't do 1G skidpad turns or live on the track would chose an all season tire that is capable of 40 - 50K miles and nearly as capable on dry or wet pavement for the lower price you quoted INSTEAD of having $1500 - 2K invested in a summer setup that you would be lucky to get 18K miles out of AND another set of wheels & tires for a winter setup costing just as much. Friggin crazy unless to actually push the summer tires hard enough to justify it. My 2 cents....rant over.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be honest with you. I had bought wheels a little beyond my budget so money was tight for tires. I did a lot of research and was trying to find the best 'inexpensive' tires. Being that it had great reviews, even when compared to higher priced tires, I went with the Kumho Ecsta SPTs and so far, they are quieter than the OEM Bridgestones and the ride is unchanged, even tho I stepped up from 18's to 19's. They also grip like a mother, excellent grip.

They're 245/40ZR19 and 275/35/ZR19.

We'll see how they continue to perform as they wear more.

Attached Thumbnails Expensive Michelins or Cheap Kumhos-wheels.jpg   Expensive Michelins or Cheap Kumhos-myg3rear.jpg  

Last edited by sredish; 07-17-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:18 PM
I definitely understand your dilemma. When I needed tire replacements for my OEM 19" setup, I considered the Michelin PS2 and the Yokohama Advan Sports. The PS2's were on backorder from France for like 4 more months so I went with the Advan Sports.

The Advan Sports were really good tires. Better handling to me than the OEM Potenzas but I think the ride quality was about the same or slightly worse than when the OEM's were new.

I am now running the Michelin PS2's in a 255/285/30/20 setup and I LOVE them. The ride could actually be better than any of my 19" setups.

I never tried the Kumhos but I will stay with Michelin even with the price. BTW, the Advan Sports were about the same price as the Michelins about a year ago, not sure about now.

Also, I found that the Advan Sports needed to get some heat in them before they were anywhere close to sticking like the PS2's. I have found no weakness in the PS2 in terms of performance; wet, dry, high/low speed, temperature, they do it all.

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i would agree with the purchase of the kuhmos. if the G is your daily driver and if you, like most of us just does spirited driving, why spend so much more on a tire with a softer compound if all you are going to get out of it are 10 to 12k. chances are you will be replacing your rears before the fronts. the thread wear on the kuhmos is 320 and the michelins is 220. its a call you have to make. another tire to consider is the Vredestein ultrac sessanta. will fall in between both as far as price goes http://www.vredestein.com/ check them out.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The two choices are Kumho Ecsta SPT's that I can buy for $660 (set of four) or Michelin Pilot PS2's that I can buy for $1352 (set of four).
Not too mention, you can buy two sets of the Kumhos for one set of the Michelins. So, if the Kumhos get a little over half of the tread of the Michelins, then they'll be cheaper overall and more performance oriented. And they'll probably get more like 3/4 or so of the tread life of the Michelins.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I've ridden on the Michilens, Kumhos and the RE050s. it think the more expensive tires have stiffer sidewalls and grip better but I think it's because their compounds are softer (hence the higher wear). I ran Kumho summer tires before. They did great in the dry and rain but if there was even the slightest HINT of snow/slush, it was all over (and this was on a fwd). So IMHO as long as you know what you are giving up with the Kumhos, I think they would be fine alternative. (not that the other two would fair any better in the winter but I think the Kumhos are just that much worse). If you live in CA. or AZ, this might be a moot point.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
i have yoko avid v4s on my sedan and they have been great. Yoko S. Drive not an option? I think most people here either run Falkens or Toyos for the 19s.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i love my kumho's so far, about 8 months on them. they put the stock bridgestone turanza's to shame (which isn't hard to do, admittedly).

kumho's are 1/2 the price, higher treadware rating than the michelin, and perform just as well for everyday driving. kumho is a major brand as well, not some bush-league knock-off. they just don't spend as much marketing so many people don't know about them...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Expensive Michelins or Cheap Kumhos