Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

thinking about LSD install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking about LSD install

Hi all,

I've decided to spend ~ $1000.0 to install an LSD for my 03.5 6mt sedan. I've searched the web and many g35 forums and came to the conclusion that the Nismo unit is the best bang for the buck. Anyone here have one installed? My concern is the drivability, as so far what I've read is it may case your tire to "bark" when doing slow turn. I also found out there are 3 settings for the Nismo LSD, could some one give me an insight on the different between these setting?

Also I stumbled across something call Phantom Grip and looking at their website there seem to be lots of satisfy users.
http://www.phantomgrip.com/testimonials.php

Have anyone here have experience with this type of "LSD"? How does it actually work? I think I know, but I haven't read enough. How is it compare to the clutch type Nismo offer in term of performance and drivability?

Thanks all.

Old 05-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Re: thinking about LSD install

check in with GurgenPB. he's been all over this and back again.

Cheers, Ted

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 05-03-2004, 07:16 PM

From some searching of the forum, I thought GurgenPB installed a stock vicous LSD. Am I wrong?

Old 05-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Gurgen did the viscous one. The Nismo LSD at the 60% setting (the middle setting) is streetable from what I've heard and doesn't pop much after break-in.

Performance Nissan sells an entire "pumpkin" so that the labor required is greatly reduced. You remove your entire pumpkin and send it to them (i.e. a core exchange) and it cuts down the cost of labor. Or something like that.

--Steve

Old 05-03-2004, 07:57 PM

I couldn't find it, could you post the link to the part?

The best I found is <a href="http://www.performancenissanparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=153_175_371&products_id=59" >this.</a>

Old 05-03-2004, 09:51 PM

I'm doing exactly the same thing right now Gster. I've spoken to several people and they all seem to think that the Kaaz 2 way LSD is better than the NISMO unit. More durable, stronger performance for AutoX, a more complete kit and a little less expensive. I think I may see if Stillen can install the unit. I emailed with Gurgen and he did have the NISMO installed but I beleive he went back to the Nissan VLSD. Or maybe it was the other way around?

Base 6MT Silver sedan
Stillen Exhaust
Stillen CAI
Eibach Pro Kit
Eibach Sway Bars

Old 05-03-2004, 11:21 PM

Kaaz probaly is better than Nismo, however Nismo is around $300.0 cheaper since all the require parts are included with the package. I don't need ultra grip ultra responsive LSD, just a good enough LSD for me to do occasional drift event fun (just starting, still have a lot to learn). $900 for the unit is pretty decent I thought, I have a friend here that can do the install for me a bit cheaper the the $400.0 average labor I see floating around the net. Beside, I'm waiting for Quaife to design one for our car, for now clutch type will do,when I wore that out, hope Quaife have one for the G so I'll replace the LSD with theirs.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:50 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you guys have a good handle on things, I don't have anything to add, I would recommend researching Cusco's offerings. My350Z.com has some good post's on the topic and on the Cusco LSD.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 05-04-2004, 10:47 AM

I'm waiting on the Quaife ATB Differential that's in the works. Check out this thread for details.

From what I understand, Quaifes do not require any special maintenance and they offer exceptional streetability. Supposedly, the automatic torque bias (ATB) diff makes it so the diff does its job seemlessly. I'm planning to wait a few months and drop the extra few bucks for Quaife quality.

A word of caution: 03 6MT's (like mine) will probably need another $400 in parts, as the Quaife will likely be a direct replacement for the stock VLSD in the 04s (see the thread above for more talk). Not sure, but this may also be true for any other LSD's you put in your non-vlsd G.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:22 AM

I emailed Quaife already and the reply indicates that they are not working on a LSD for the sedan. They said that they would need the "complete rear end assembly". Naturally ofcourse I offer my rear end to them (G35 not mine ), and got rejected with the reason that it would take longer than I imagine. So I figure it not going to be anytime soon for Quaife to produce a LSD for the G.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:26 AM

Also, an advantage of going with Nismo LSD is that it has all the required parts for the 03 6mt, this translate to that the actual Nismo LSD is only about $400.0, not bad In my opinion, Quaife will probaly cost upward of $1500.0 + parts + install. So ~$2000.0+ buckaroo for an LSD upgrade, that is alot I thought, 1/3 of a turbo kit already.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:44 AM

Quaife will be getting a 350Z lsd assembly courtesy of andy here. The person you spoke with at Quaife doesn't know that the 350Z diff is the same as the sedan, so they will be in fact working in a LSD for the sedan very shortly, they will be looking into what it will take for them to offer one for the Z and G.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 05-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Re: used KAZZ LSD for sale here

Heads up, looks like the sedan owner I mentioned that has the KAZZ LSD is selling it here's the ad, it's on my350Z. $750 shipped, here's including the stub axles.
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...threadid=73329

Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 05-04-2004, 01:19 PM

This sound very tempting, however I just afraid of the warranty issue. At least Nismo unit is still a Nissan. I may just get it though, price is pretty good.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:29 PM

Thought you guy might want to read this, Sport Compact Mag experience with Kaaz diff on the 350Z:

" The final piece in the 1.0g puzzle is the limited slip. We put a KAAZ limited slip in the Z as our first attempt at finding balance. It was, at first, an unmitigated failure. KAAZ's 350Z diff is built with 24 clutch plates instead of its standard 16. This makes the diff's locking powers exceptionally strong, just in case you want to run 295 Hoosiers and a turbo or two.

With street tires and stock power, a limited slip with too much locking power just means obnoxious popping and groaning noises and terrible steering feel. When the diff locks too aggressively, both rear tires want to go the same speed. They can't do this, of course, if the car is turning, so they try desperately to push the car straight. The result is sluggish turn-in as the front and rear wheels fight over the first few degrees of steering crank. You also get obnoxious effects from the throttle. Roll into the throttle mid-corner and the car will suddenly start to understeer as the rear wheels get locked together. Lift off and the nose turns in abruptly as the rear wheels suddenly stop fighting. Try gently rolling on and off the throttle as you might on a long, cloverleaf entrance ramp, and you'll find yourself weaving and bobbing all over the road.

In part one, we tried swapping some of the clutch plates around so they weren't all active. If you call the plates that turn with the differential "D" and the ones that turn with the axle "A", each side of the diff originally has the plates stacked DADADADADADA. We had Newport Exotic Cars re-stack the plates DADAADDADAAD. Each time there's a "D" next to an "A", there's a working friction surface. The swap dropped the active surfaces from 11 to eight, which improved, but did not eliminate the problems. Returning again for another re-stack, this time DDAAADDDAAAD, which dropped us to four working surfaces per side was even better, but still not there.

It wasn't until we put on the stickier BFG tires that the diff finally started to behave. All the strange handling behavior caused by the diff is a result of differential and the tires fighting over opposite goals. The tires want to go slightly different speeds around a corner, and the diff wants them to go the same speed. The goal is a balance where the tires always win unless one of them tries to spin, then the diff should be just strong enough to stop it. Weakening the diff helped tip the balance toward the tires, but stronger, stickier tires were the real trick to peace in the third member.

Even with the sticky tires, we still had obnoxious popping and groaning noises around tight turns. It took a bottle of RedLine differential additive to finally get the diff to play nice."

Link to full article <a href="http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0404scc_350z/"> here.</a>