Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

04 Sedan - Rubbing with coupe 18s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by firefox
The cross section width varies from tire to tire. The cross section width is the measurement of the tire width from the inner sidewall to the outer sidewall. Your tires appear to be pretty beefy.

For instance a Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R 245/45/18 has a section width of 9.6" while a Bridgestone Potenza RE050 245/45/18 has a section width of 9.9". Both have the same treadwidths and aspect ratios. I guess it is just depends on the design of the tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...p#sectionwidth

Tirerack also has the section widths spec'd for each tire.

That 0.3" is a big difference when you have very aggressive offsets. It could mean the difference of rubbing and no rubbing.

Also, you can take some painter's tape and tape the fender, drive around, and look at where it is hitting the fender (on the tape). It could be just a wee bit of rubbing. If that is the case you could take a dremel wheel and cut off just a little (if you are comfortable in doing that).

Otherwise just roll the fender, drop the car, and call it a day.
All very good points! There can be significant differences on tire's measurement for the same given size. It doesn't help that our sedans have little room to play with especially when using coupe wheels, and your tires do look quite beefy. I dropped my car w/ a z susp and put on the 19's and had rubbing issues. Da Mayor gave me a hand with a quick fender roll and problem was solved. Now I'm trying different widths to see how wide I can go. I can tell you 275/35/19 on RE50A's does not work but 255/35/19 does on Pilot Sports. Next is 265/35/19 & 255/40/19.

BTW, your lack of a drop doesn't necesarily help you much since the stock susp compresses more. I say try to get a roll and then go from there. When it comes time for new tires, just do some research and be careful with the choices.

G/L

Old 08-04-2008, 03:46 PM
so are you saying that dropping my car with Z suspension could actually help? From what i read it also improves your ride quality and are not heavy on the pocket book so I might give this a try.

Should should I change shocks and springs? or will changing springs will suffice?

Last edited by TripnG35; 08-04-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Droppng on the Z susp will not necessarily help. Rolling the fenders will.

I'm not sure I would say the Z susp improves the ride quality, but it did improve my handling greatly along with some other susp mods I did at the same time. I'm no expert, I did a lot of research here before moving forward, but from what I recall you should be able to do just springs (preferably revised) if your sedan has the sport susp. However if you have many miles on them you'd might be better off getting a whole new (lightly used) setup like I did. Not to mention I recall reading that the shock housings are a bit shorter on the Z reducing the chance of a clunking sound when they compress to their limits. Not sure how much of a problem that really is tho.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
if ride quality is factor, you can get tokico HPs (i dink they are the blue colored ones) those from what i hear is almost OEM spec. and the cost of z-springs are around 40-60 bucks. with the HPs you can hav nice ride quality with some handle.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TripnG35
so are you saying that dropping my car with Z suspension could actually help? From what i read it also improves your ride quality and are not heavy on the pocket book so I might give this a try.

Should should I change shocks and springs? or will changing springs will suffice?
Dropping the car will not help. If you rub at stock height, you will rub when lowered. Just roll your fenders, drop it and call it a day.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks for all your input guys.
Problem solved - Went to a local shop and they actually used dremel to cut the inside of the fender. They did a great job and unless you are looking under the fender you can't tell anything was done to it.

According to the shop my problem was beefy tires (245/45/18s in the rear). He recommends i go with the 40 series in the future for better fit and looks on 18s.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:35 PM
My horns hold up my halo
I can't help but wonder if there is something else going on with your car. That is the EXACTLY same tire size that I ran on mine and did NOT have rubbing issues.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Everyone with coupe 18s or 19s will have rubbing issues with stock tire size.
The reason most of the people are claiming they did not have issues is because
1. they did not notice it
2. they did not have 3 people in the back.
3. they were not cornering hard enough for the suspension to compresss enough
4. they have slightly more agressive camber in the back

Solution is to roll/shave the fenders.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by trey's wife
I can't help but wonder if there is something else going on with your car. That is the EXACTLY same tire size that I ran on mine and did NOT have rubbing issues.
As firefox mentioned before there can be a pretty big difference between tire manufacturers even showing the same size. Also were you running coupe wheels. Their offset is aggresive for our sedans.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by 04NismoV35
As firefox mentioned before there can be a pretty big difference between tire manufacturers even showing the same size. Also were you running coupe wheels. Their offset is aggresive for our sedans.
That is very true in regard to tire manufacturers and maybe that is where his difference was. Yes, I had coupe wheels on my car. Now, it is not fair to say that I *never* rubbed for any reason. If the car was *loaded* down and I took a curve pretty hard it would rub slightly on occasion. The OP made it sound as if this was a constant problem in daily driving and I had nothing like that.

Klubb, I have *never* been accused of being a granny driver so are you telling me I am just unaware of what is going on around me?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
Everyone with coupe 18s or 19s will have rubbing issues with stock tire size.
The reason most of the people are claiming they did not have issues is because
1. they did not notice it
2. they did not have 3 people in the back.
3. they were not cornering hard enough for the suspension to compresss enough
4. they have slightly more agressive camber in the back

Solution is to roll/shave the fenders.
+1

You can either:

1) Roll the fender in, very easy to do with a fender roller or some hand tools but with a lot of patience

2) Run lower profile tire like a 245/40/18 instead of 245/45/18 at the rear

3) Run more -ve camber .. but not good for tire life

4) Pretend nothing happens and call it a day

I personally run 255/35/19 on Coupe 19s in the rear and had to have my fender rolled in.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by trey's wife
That is very true in regard to tire manufacturers and maybe that is where his difference was. Yes, I had coupe wheels on my car. Now, it is not fair to say that I *never* rubbed for any reason. If the car was *loaded* down and I took a curve pretty hard it would rub slightly on occasion. The OP made it sound as if this was a constant problem in daily driving and I had nothing like that.

Klubb, I have *never* been accused of being a granny driver so are you telling me I am just unaware of what is going on around me?
When i was briefly on my stock suspension years ago, I did not notice i was rubbing till my friend that was sitting in the back actually told me (he notices every single sound from a car that is not suppose to come). Then after him telling me that i confirmed that the tire had some wear on the outer lip of the tire because it was hitting the fender and making almost no noise. There a good possibility that most of the people never even noticed this happening.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
When i was briefly on my stock suspension years ago, I did not notice i was rubbing till my friend that was sitting in the back actually told me (he notices every single sound from a car that is not suppose to come). Then after him telling me that i confirmed that the tire had some wear on the outer lip of the tire because it was hitting the fender and making almost no noise. There a good possibility that most of the people never even noticed this happening.
I freaking live with Trey. LOL I would believe that I didn't notice it and not even find it insulting but to believe that Trey didn't notice it would baffle my mind. He is so annoying about hearing every little freaking thing. I told him to stop telling me anything he hears in my car unless it sounds important because he was hearing squeaks and rattles that I hadn't heard yet and telling me about them.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:41 AM
lol, sounds like what my dad used to do w/ my mom when I was a kid. It was funny to watch.