Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Akebono ceramic brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Akebono ceramic brake pads

I am considering these brake pads. Has anyone had any experience with these pads, G35 or other cars?

2004 G35X

Old 05-31-2004, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Akebono ceramic brake pads

I don't have experience with the pads you're looking at, however, I have replaced my front pads with EBC Greenstuff pads and they are very good on the G. Very little brake dust compared with OEM and the same peddle feel as OEM. I have been extremely happy with these pads.

Good luck.....

Old 05-31-2004, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ceramin pads are harder than your rotors (most of the time) and will cause the rotors to heat up and warp. If you don't have rotors to match, you most likely will tear the rotors up. I am not a brake expert, but I had tried ceramics twice and had the same issues both times. When I had taken the car in to get new rotors (both times) the mechanics told me that the ceramics are only for high-performance cars that already have rotors to handle ceramic pads or if you upgrade to rotors that can handle ceramic pads. I am not saying don't do it, but just check into it first.

I just got the Metal Matrix pads from stillen and they are awesome. No break dust either. The Hawk HPS are good too.

’03 G35S 6MT, black/black:
-Zex n20 Kit 150-shot & Bottle Opener
-Amsoil Air/Oil Filters & Oil
-Digital Nitrous Pressure Gauge & A/F Switch/Gauge
-Pressure-based Bottle Warmer
-MSD Window Switch

Old 06-01-2004, 08:33 AM

Ceramics have a differing wear vs temp vs friction curve from semi metallics.
They tend for wear less cold [below 450F] and wear more hot above 450F. They generally have lower friction coefficients above 600-700F than semi metallics.

Over the counter ceramics are more for cold street [below 450F] than hotter performance driving.

The question is how often you will see above 600F rotor temperatures......multiple 80 mph stops [severe mountain driving] or a single 120 mph stop.

Changing pads must be done in matched sets as the friction vs temp graph can be upset changing wear rates and affecting stopping distances .

Nothing will out stop the oem factory pads at least up to 750-800F......wear rates and dust are another matter.

How many feet more stopping distance do you feel is safe is the question when you redesign braking system by changing oem pads.

The oem pads are already a combination of metallic, semimetallic and ceramic components designed to meet the widest possible temperature range.

Ceramic brake pads incorporate a formula that includes ceramic materials and utilizes less metal (approximately 15% metal content by weight).

"tion materials contain many different ingredients including various types of reinforcing fibers for strength (ceramic, fiberglass, aramid and other mineral fibers), metallic strands (steel, brass, copper, etc.) for dissipating heat, fillers and other substances for modifying the friction characteristics of the material, and binders and phenolic resins to hold it all together.

Most semi-metallic friction materials contain at least 60 percent steel by weight. Low-metallic materials are ones with less than 30 percent ferrous content. Nonasbestos organic (NAO) materials contains little or no iron or steel, and usually have several times as many ingredients as semi-metallic compounds. As a result, NAO compounds are more complex to develop and manufacture.

The exact formula of any given friction material is a closely guarded secret, just like the Colonel's Original Recipe. By selecting various combinations of ingredients, the formula can be adjusted to reduce noise or modify the friction characteristics and wear resistance to suit various vehicle applications.

NEW CERAMIC-BASED MATERIALS
Linings containing ceramic fibers were first introduced back in 1985 on some OEM applications, and are now found on nearly a third of all new vehicles including Ford, General Motors and various Japanese models that are made in the U.S. In the past couple of years, "ceramic" pads have also been introduced by more than one aftermarket supplier. These pads contain no steel wool or fibers. Instead, ceramic and copper fibers are used to handle the heat. Annoying brake squeal is virtually nonexistent because the ceramic content dampens noise and moves vibrations to a frequency beyond our range of hearing. What's more, the dust produced by these pads is a lighter color and is less visible on alloy wheels."

Old 06-01-2004, 09:05 AM

The real question is how much silicon and titanium carbide you want vs copper, steel, and iron.
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf10332.htm

Remember that the only pad composition that has been tested on your G35 is oem, all the others available were the also ran didn't meet factory standards or they would have been the one oem!

At our two independent shops in ATL we will use nothing but oem even though it cost us double the price of cheapo ceramics.

Brake pads [differing compounds] all cost the same at oem level when you buy a million sets..........the one area where Nissan doesn't skimp.

Old 06-01-2004, 03:01 PM

Thanks, guys, for the input.

2004 G35X