Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

tpms re-learning pressure sensor ID with no special tools

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
This is my exact issue. I ran the reset procedure and then it worked fine for 2 days (50 miles) and then 60 seconds of flash. On next cold startup just straight tpms light no codes check holding the button down like usual check :/. Time to unplug the battery .

I notice that too. If you run the reset procedure, and it doesn't take...you can no longer run the codes anymore.

Also, the codes generated are ONLY at the time of the failure. In other words, if the R-rear sensor does and the TPMS light comes on, and then you go rotate your tires, the code will not follow the dead sensor. It will display the code received when the system got an error.

I just realized I got new tires after my TPMS light came on, so i have no idea where the 2 dead sensors actually are now.

This system can be a PITA at times.

I wish Consult-2's were cheaper

Old 03-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Okay new surprise... I got "5 new cd001" sensors from Nissan and on the bag it says CD001, on the sticker it says CD001, but on the unit it says "CD011" !?!?!?

Picture to come soon but I hope these work with my unit

Also, just bought a chrome grille for $40 .

Old 03-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Google searching says M45 sensors.

No idea if they are compatible or not. I'd prob call a dealership first and ask if they would work before putting them in the wheels.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah good point . My local dealership just said they have no clue.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stealth94rt
The manual method (explained at the top of this thread) look like a good procedure, although I have not tried it myself.

I just purchase a used set of stock G35 rims for my winter tires. They came off a 2003, so they don't have TPMS sensors. I checked with my tire shop and they said "there is no federal law that prohibits you from removing the TPMS sensors" He said this is different then the laws that apply to air bags, safety restraints, etc., which prohibit you from tampering with those systems. He said the worst thing that can happen by not having the TPMS sensors is the annoying light on the dashboard. Since I'm just running w/o the TPMS sensors for the winter months, I might be able to handle that.

That said, I decided to do some searching for lower-cost TPMS sensors, and a home mecahnic's reset tool. Here is what I found, in case anyone else is interested:

**DISCLAIMER - I have not tried any of these product, and I am not endorsing any of these products. The info/links are provided for your information.**

Orange TPMS Sensors (~ $35 each at Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

TPMS Reset tool (for putting the TPMS into learn mode; ~ $22 at Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-Tools-OTC3.../dp/B002YKHGPQ

TPMS troubleshooting/initialization tools (to activate each sensor after you put the system into learning mode):
ATEQ VT-10 (from RevolutionSupplyCompany.com for $125):
http://revolutionsupply.com/VT10.aspx
K-Tool KTI71990 TIPS Tool TPMS (from eBay for ~$75):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...em=#vi-content
I bought the KTI71990 off ebay. I didn't want to do the pressure diff/drive/refill tires. Thing.

I rigged a push switch to a lead with an alligator clip for a reset tool. I was able to read the codes and then put the system into learning mode. Then activate all the tires in order. My light went out!

The longest part was fishing out the tpms connector. I tucked it where it is easier to get to next time.

Thanks for the good info on the thread!

Old 03-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thats pretty cool, but I'm not trying to spend any more money then I need too .

Old 03-30-2014, 07:36 PM
The reset tool was all from stuff lying around. I'm thinking about mounting it behind the knee panel for the future. That way I can check codes or rset the system after rotating the tires.

The only reason I bought the activation tool was a smoking deal on ebay ($50 NEW). Now I can use it for future and my wife's car.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wompem
The reset tool was all from stuff lying around. I'm thinking about mounting it behind the knee panel for the future. That way I can check codes or rset the system after rotating the tires.

The only reason I bought the activation tool was a smoking deal on ebay ($50 NEW). Now I can use it for future and my wife's car.
Wow that is such a good deal... I be jealous.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:34 PM
Actually, it was $58.99. New. Open package but the sensor was still sealed in the bag. The batteries looked like they had been in for a while ( slight corrosion on one). They still have more if anyone is in need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390783678794...S:3160&vxp=mtr

Old 03-31-2014, 09:29 AM
So that tool does work? That's a confirmation? You've been driving around for a while with the light out?

Old 03-31-2014, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
So that tool does work? That's a confirmation? You've been driving around for a while with the light out?
I put the car in learning mode yesterday. Then used the tool on all 4 wheels. The tool seemed to read the sensors (beeped and showed the right frequency for our sensors). TPMS Light went out. I drove today about 25-30 miles and it hasn't come back on yet. So far so good.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I try to check my error codes by holding the light to ground, but it just sits there illuminated doing nothing. No flashing, no beeping. I can put it into and out of learn mode by tapping the ground 6 times, but I cannot read any codes. Any reason as to why this is happening?

Old 11-06-2014, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by Shaun Bassel
I try to check my error codes by holding the light to ground, but it just sits there illuminated doing nothing. No flashing, no beeping. I can put it into and out of learn mode by tapping the ground 6 times, but I cannot read any codes. Any reason as to why this is happening?
Did you clear the codes by accident?

Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Was the ignition accidentally turned off while trying to read the codes?

Try putting it in learning mode, drive around until it buzzes and fails and then try reading the codes again

Old 11-26-2015, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2007 G35 sedan and just replaced the factory tires with exact same sizes (18-inch). The TPMS warning was OFF for about 20 miles then came on. It now flashes for 30-45 seconds and then stays on. I did not replace the TPMS sensors inside the wheels, just the tires. Why must I reset or have the TPMS system reset? Shouldn't Pep Boys know to reset the system when replacing all 4 tires?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: tpms re-learning pressure sensor ID with no special tools