Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Coupe Suspension on Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe Suspension on Sedan

I would like to know if anyone has attempted to install a Coupe suspension on a sedan and if so how did you like it? Do you have any pics? How was the ride and stability?

Old 06-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Re: Coupe Suspension on Sedan

mmm, i'm not totally sure, but i remember reading that the coupe suspension is just like the sedan's ride with sport springs. so, basically, all your doing is lowering the car. however, the front would lower 1" and the rear 1 1/8" inch. it's not a performance mod. just an asthetics thing

Old 06-16-2004, 05:27 PM

I'd have to slightly disagree there. If the sedan was a non-sport sedan than moving up to the coupe suspension would give better handling no doubt with stiffer springs, a drop of about 1", and tighter valved dampers. If the sedan already has the sports suspension then going with the coupe suspension would not do much in terms of performance, mainly just lowering the car.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium

Old 06-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main difference is that the Coupe uses negative ~~1.5 degrees camber front and rear......while the Sedan has neutral [zero] camber front and a tiny bit of negative rear.

Get the Pilot Sports and reset your front and rear camber to Coupe specs and you should be 97% the same.

Shock/spring stiffness can at most make 2-3% changes in handling..........asumming you don't modify the roll couple ratio.

Old 06-17-2004, 06:45 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

How the Coupe suspension is different.
1. 1" Shorter springs. Nissan mulipulated the wire diameter and number of active coils as to make the shorter springs have the same spring rates as oem sport springs. However, having driven both springs on oem sport shocks, I can say that the shorter springs do feel a tiny bit stiffer even though they are the same rates.

2. Shorter piston rods. Coupe shocks use 1"* front and 1 5/8" rear shorter piston rods than oem sedan shocks. Means Zero to the topic of enhancement, matters most if dropping lower than 1.5". *Going my memory on the fronts, might be 3/4".

3. Better high speed valving in the rear. Simply put, if the 2 shocks are factually valved the same, sedan sport shocks would perform no different if paired with the coupe's springs. But this is not the case. Sedan shocks in the rear have poor high speed motion control when run with coupe/Z springs. Installing oem sport springs in the rear resolves the issue. When it was said that coupe and sedan sport shocks are valved the same, that I think was ment and lost in translation, was that the two suspensions are valved to "ride" the same. Both shocks on their respective vehicles do not offer the dampning performance needed to truely make either car shine in the light of rising owner talents.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

"Shock/spring stiffness can at most make 2-3% changes in handling..........asumming you don't modify the roll couple ratio."

<hr></blockquote>

Suspension design is all about compromise with a road car. Infiniti set's these car's up to be comfortable, even on long drives and sporting enough to be better in many ways than the competition. These cars come off the line with basic shock absorbers and spring rates that are better matched to whom Infiniti see's are their core buyer group and their financial bottom line. This compromise in design opens the door for improvements in handling if you (the owner/driver) have interests outside Infiniti's average design parameters. It is up to the individual owner to understand what after market suspensions do and select what will improve his or her car based on what improvements they want.

Neither the sedan nor coupe have shocks that offer the control that Nissan blessed the Z with. When I installed the Z suspension on my sedan, it transformed the car in a manner in which Road and Tracks comments on the 350Z mirror.

" Dynamically, there are few cars so immediately comfortable to drive quickly. Thoughtful chassis and suspension tuning have made it relatively easy (and hugely satisfying) to hustle the Z around offramps and racetracks alike. Excellent overall balance allows it to seamlessly process braking, steering and throttle inputs without unduly upsetting the chassis. Fore-to-aft weight transfer has a minimal effect on the car's composure, allowing the driver to transition from braking to power more quickly when cornering." I could not have said it better myself.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 06-21-2004, 08:11 PM

Mr Burke; I am a Z 04 touring owner and I want to go softer on my ride. I have been given the suggestion to replace my shocks with G35C standard or Sport shocks and keep the Z springs. Any thoughs would be appreciated.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lawnmore, check your private message, i have an extra set of sedan shocks available. shipping plus beer.

Better Life thru Chemistry
Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Goodyear F1 GS-D3's 225/55/17, Custom Intake Tube, HyperGround Kit, Magnaflow resonator.

Old 06-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Mr Burke? (That's my sig, I'm Jim)

The coupe shocks will do what you want at the cost of suspension control. As long as your ok with that for the sake of a better ride quality, go for it. Another option is to buy a set of the oem revised Z shocks from your Nissan dealer (I was told they sell for $75 each). They split the difference between coupe and 03 Z shocks and were created to improve the ride quality of the Z.

Here are the part numbers for 04 Z shocks (the revised ones)One set of numbers is the number stamped on the shock itself and the other number is in the Nissan parts computer.
Front Right - P# 56110-CD725, S# 56110-CD700
Front Left - P# 56110-CD726, S# 56110-CD701

Rears- P# 56210-CD325, S# 56210-CD300

The Z and G35 coupe use the same springs, so by all means use your own springs.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt