Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Summer Tires and All Season tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer Tires and All Season tires

I have a question. Do you think that having Michelin Pilot Sports Summer tires in the front and Michelin Pilot sports All Seasons in the rear will cause a handling issue? I think that I may have this problem. Please let me know. Because now my car is driving really weird. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:04 AM
Banned
Re: Summer Tires and All Season tires

The Michelin Pilots are <font color=red>dangerous</font color=red> and should not be used on even a dusting of snow - you need real good snow tires such as the Blizzak LM22's in order to drive the G in the snow. Your suggested setup may get the car going but it is not going to turn on the pilots.

<font color=green>04 G35C DG AT
Prem Aero Perf RSG CC
2004 Pathfinder for the family
</font color=green>

Old 07-09-2004, 07:12 AM

Blitzjb,

Right now I have pilot sports summer on the front and pilot sports all seasons on the rear. I was wondering if this is making my car handling worst. Because I can feel it when I drive. Also there is skidding sometimes for no apparent reason. I am worried because they aren't the same type of tires (i.e. summer, all season, snow). The manual says that all four tires must be the same type. And mine aren't. Could this be the reason why the performance of my car is worst than before? Please advise.

Also I am planning to get snow tires in the winter.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Banned

Different tires can def. handle different. Why the different tires on the rear. A sports car should always have a matched set of tires.

Prem Aero Perf RSG CC
</font color=green>

Old 07-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mbq62, this is what a tire person told me. You have to have matching speed ratings on your car. I.E. 245/45ZR18 96Y. The Y is the speed rating that should also be on your front and rear tires. Mixing different speed rating will affect how the car handles due to the way the Y vs W or Z tires are made. The Zs are stiffer then the Ys or Ws which make them handle differently.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:44 AM

But isn't the pilot sports all supposed to be the same rating? So if they are all season and summer then it will probably cause a problem. Because I noticed a huge decline in performance after I replaced the two rear tires. The reason I got all season tires in the rear is because I got a flat on my passenger rear tire. So I changed both rears out. I didn't realize that I had summer tires in the front. So I ended up ordering all seasons for the rear. After I put them on and examined closely I was like..."omg...I f***ed up." So now I'm at a dilemna. I just dont feel safe in the car like before. Should I replace the 2 front tires to all season?

Also isn't the pilots all season better than the pilot summers?

Old 07-09-2004, 07:51 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Last time I checked, the michelin all season tires did not come in the 225/45 front size........you may be out of luck with trying to match them and keep the stagger.........

04 cpe IP/willow/5at/prem/18's/JDM clear corners/Piaa's/MTEC H4 Super White fog/highs

Old 07-09-2004, 08:03 AM

Oh no, I just looked and yes they didnt' come in that size. *SIGH* What do I do now? That means I have to fork over a now 800? bucks maybe for a set of new michelin sports summers?

Old 07-09-2004, 08:27 AM
Banned

Call Dalls at Tire Rack and get some advice.

Prem Aero Perf RSG CC
</font color=green>

Old 07-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Each tire design and tread compound softness has a unique slip angle curve vs [static weight plus loaded weight plus side wall stiffness spring rate].

If you had the Pacejka Curves for each tire in each size you could mix and match...........even another brand and size to approximate a diffferent set of tires.

This proprietary info is never released to the public, heck they don't do the expensive testing on each tire in each size at the factory.

Because of the dual role of rear tires GENERALLY one wants the softest compound here..........putting harder compound A/S on the rear generally creates more oversteer.

There is a significant difference between the Sports and the A/S Sports. The friction vs tread temperature curves will amplify this problem below 50F ambient. Self Aligning torque values are different.

More rear body roll and softer rear sidewall with harder tread can be adapted too by a trained driver.
The problem is in a sudden emergency the track may not be as expected. Going straight braking will be compensated for by ABS as the rear contributes only 30% to stopping distances. So braking distances might only increase by 5-7% surely not more than 10% [12 feet at 60 mph].

http://www.racer.nl/reference/pacejka.htm
http://support.adams.com/kb-files/id...eehan_Tire.pdf

Old 07-09-2004, 03:35 PM

do these blizzaks fit the stock 18s??? where do i get them.....how do they look and how do they drive in the summer?

Mitch
2004 G35C AT
Blk/Blk
Prem.Aero.Perf.Nav
Nav/TV Tuner w/ PS 2
2-10" Subs w/ Rockford Amp
Clear Corners
Pop Charger
Z-Tube

Old 07-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

blizzaks are bridgestone winter snow tires, I don't think you'd want to be driving on them all year round.....
the Pilot All Season tires are similar to the Pilot Sports, but are not as aggressive a tire. more suited for a less sportier car.....basically they try to give you the best of both worlds...performance with some winter traction. Thing is, most people that have rated the All Season michelins said they are not the best for winter/snow applications....

I think the original poster tried mixing the Pilots with the All seasons and is not too happy with the results.

By the way, nice job mitch on your headlights....they came out really nice and look alot better without the amber lense in there.

04 cpe IP/willow/5at/prem/18's/JDM clear corners/Piaa's/MTEC H4 Super White fog/highs