Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Low offset stance VS regular stance debate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by nismoz
Yah, true, we never want to park our cars close to a curb but the fact is that it is impossible to protect the rims from the curb. I mean we are human, and we make mistake. So no matter we are good or bad drivers, things happen. Well, that is what I have in my mind. But what I see here is that people are going into 2 different sides. 1 side with stretch tires and 1 side with wide tires. Which causes argument here, and this argument will never stop because people do what they want no matter what. And about drifters, I admit that I dont have much experience about drifting. But using drifters as an example in term of performance is not right. I would use trackers as an example. And we all know that trackers always use wide tires, smaller wheels and ... They use wide tires not because they want to protect their rims, lol, but they want to have the tread on the surface of the road as much as they can so they can perform better. This is a true performance.
Again, I only ASKED about drifters. I never even tried using it as a point for the performance aspect, people tend to over-analyze a question...

And yes, we are human, we have skills, some better than others. If you can park your vehicle better than someone else, meaning you don't curb, then you are more skilled at parking. Only time I've curbed my wheels is when I had move my car from one spot to another and I was buzzin it and it was very slight. Regardless, it's not that difficult to park a car without hitting the curb...you can always find a spot with more space.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eurodre
once again, like i said some people just can't handle being that careful, and some can

you know the risks you take before hand, you can have an aggressive setup with stretched tires but done in a smart way along with being careful, honestly when it comes down to it, like i KEEP saying some people cant handle driving slower or being more careful with their car and some can
Explain that please. How do you run stretch tires and possibly have it done in the "smart" way that your wheels can possibly be less risky of kissing the ground? Stretched tires is stretched tires, there no such a thing as done it the smart way to make them less risky of getting damage.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
uh yah there is.. there is NOT stretching the tires beyond what you need for clearance.. for example putting a 205 on a 9.5, 225 on a 10.5 maybe not a good idea and so forth with the examples

its all in the details you put into the setup, not stupid but still pushing the limits, knowing your tire sizes, tire brands, fender work,the right camber and basically doing what you need for fitment. But if in order to fit that wheel you need to run some mega negative camber or run REALLY stretched tires you went too far, this is were careful research is key

i mean if the thought of curbing the wheels and bending them is keeping someone from having a stretched aggressive setup, it's not for them, plain and simple, some people can handle it and some can't it's not like as if the large amount of people running those kinds of setups are stupid there are people running those setups who have done it right and smart

i don't see where the confusion is in how to do it smart and do it right

like i say, if you do something do it right

if you want stretched tires do it right, if you want meaty tires do it right, no one can tell you otherwise, its your car, your money, your taste so make the best of it

Old 07-28-2009, 03:01 PM
uh yah there is.. there is NOT stretching the tires beyond what you need for clearance.. for example putting a 205 on a 9.5, 225 on a 10.5 maybe not a good idea and so forth with the examples

its all in the details you put into the setup, not stupid but still pushing the limits, knowing your tire sizes, tire brands, fender work,the right camber and basically doing what you need for fitment. But if in order to fit that wheel you need to run some mega negative camber or run REALLY stretched tires you went too far, this is were careful research is key

i mean if the thought of curbing the wheels and bending them is keeping someone from having a stretched aggressive setup, it's not for them, plain and simple, some people can handle it and some can't it's not like as if the large amount of people running those kinds of setups are stupid there are people running those setups who have done it right and smart

i don't see where the confusion is in how to do it smart and do it right

like i say, if you do something do it right

if you want stretched tires do it right, if you want meaty tires do it right, no one can tell you otherwise, its your car, your money, your taste so make the best of it
Point taken.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:03 PM
jason im not saying you wont EVER curb your wheels or bend them or that anyone per se is stupid for doing those, those dangers ARE there, im just saying it requires more care and some people wouldn't want that responsibility, its fine not a big deal

Old 07-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
The outer lip is not the only place to worry about the rim getting bent...too much camber + not enough tire = inner part of wheel being scratched and/or bent.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by donpisto
The outer lip is not the only place to worry about the rim getting bent...too much camber + not enough tire = inner part of wheel being scratched and/or bent.
good point. not to mention that w/ a less sidewall, less tire, you're more prone to screwing up your alignment since there is less rubber to shield/cushion the impact of a bump or pothole.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:16 PM
haha true levon, but you and I (since our wheels are coming up) are still going to run those setups

Old 07-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by donpisto
Thats actually the most likey spot. I would say the majority of the wheels get bent on the inner lip as opposed to the outer

Old 07-28-2009, 04:27 PM
jason im not saying you wont EVER curb your wheels or bend them or that anyone per se is stupid for doing those, those dangers ARE there, im just saying it requires more care and some people wouldn't want that responsibility, its fine not a big deal
Haha no biggie, I just wanted you to elaborate it a bit more as I wasn't really sure what you meant by risking LESS running stretched tire. Thanks.

Originally Posted by redlude97
Thats actually the most likey spot. I would say the majority of the wheels get bent on the inner lip as opposed to the outer
+2. Thats what happened to me

Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM
^^lol cus u drive too fast! haha

Old 07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love stretch tire. Why spend $2500.00 on wheels that tuck?

Tuck = fail.

Fat tire with proper fitment = sex too. Just hate those ppl with HRE's or watever which mad tuck.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Furthermore, if "performance" is your argument, you would know that wheels pushed out to the farthest corners of the vehicle with negative camber will increase handling.

Please note that I did NOT include stretch tires.

Also,

Stretched tire does not necessarily equate to thinner sidewall. Once again, 245/40R19 > sidewall than 275/35R19, 225/40R19 > sidewall than 245/35R19.

Bending and rashing of rims is purely contingent on driver. Not stretch tire or not. If that was the case, no one would curb OEM rims.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsalex
Furthermore, if "performance" is your argument, you would know that wheels pushed out to the farthest corners of the vehicle with negative camber will increase handling.
This is false. Go read up on scrub radius. Pushing wheels out does not always result in better performance, and usually will result in more difficult steering and stability. Negative camber is only good up to a certain point, and should be set using a tire pyrometer for the conditions to maximize performance. Excessive negative camber will lead to worse performance in most situations

Old 07-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
I heart poke

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Low offset stance VS regular stance debate