Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

New tire on the market question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New tire on the market question

I was reading the article in C&D on tires. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests They rated the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 as the best. I have a few questions..
1. Does anyone have these on their car?
2. How are they in wet conditions?
3. What size did you get as they do not have an OEM size for my 06 6MT Sedan.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
copy/paste your post here for better results:

https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-tires-25/

Old 09-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
If you read the review it says it does well in the wet. I would take their opinion, comparing it to similar tires all at once, vs someone who last owned on of the other tires a year ago. They compare back to back vs someone who thinks they remember how a tire performed.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Whatever you choose, I'd recommend not going with directional tires on these cars if you have a lowered suspension. Once lowered in the front over an inch, many G sedans will experience inner edge tire feathering. This is a problem with factory ride height Zs (especially 03/04 models and some 05/06 models plus some G coupes). The feathering can result in accelerated tire wear, roaring, and increase NVH. Fixes include:

1) Setting the front toe to max toe in
2) Cross-rotating the front tires every 2K miles to so to knock down the feathering. You can't cross-rotate directional unless you choose to run the tire backwards to pull the tire off the wheel and swap that way.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Dave. From my conversation with Redlude97 on this issue, directionals are just fine. It's symmetrical tread that's perferable. Symmetrical tread will allow you to swap left / right while allowing the tires to rotate the right way. So the inside is now on the outside. For those of us running staggered, this is very important to us as we can't flip front to back.

These tires do indeed look to have a symmertrical tread pattern.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Dave. From my conversation with Redlude97 on this issue, directionals are just fine. It's symmetrical tread that's perferable. Symmetrical tread will allow you to swap left / right while allowing the tires to rotate the right way. So the inside is now on the outside. For those of us running staggered, this is very important to us as we can't flip front to back.

So you are saying take it off the rim and put it on the rim on the opposite side? My tire shop charges $20 for this, I guess it extends the life of a tire (doubles it) and you would have to do the same with the non directional to get the wear on the outside vs. the inside.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se

That's the problem with directional (ie symetrical) tires. You have to yank them off the rim to cross-rotate (side to side rotation) which can get very expensive, time consuming, and risky to the rim every 2K miles or so. With an asymetrical tire, it doesn't matter which way they're running so cross-rotating is a non-issue. I gave up on directional tires because of the feathering issue I've had with them.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Red Card Crew

Dave, I have a local guy that demounts and mounts for $50. On an expensive hunter no touch machine. Like I mentioned I can't swap front/back when running staggered.

But if you want to flip and run the tires in the other direction, you still have to make sure the tires are symmetrical. If they are asymmetrical and non-directional, yes, you can run the tires in either direction. BUT you still have to maintan the tire's inner/outer rules. If you have a tire that has camber wear in the inside portion, you always will have the the worn out portion on the inside. If you don't have a staggered config, hopefully swapping the front/rears will help make the tires live longer. Or if you have uneven camber wear on each side, flipping them to the other side hopefully helps.

But being able to run a symmetrical tire that allows me to run the worn inner on the outside, is a big advantage. Bigger than having a non-directional tire.

Of course having a symmetrical non-directional would be ideal. But increasingly rare with any type of performance tire. Most will be directional, symmetrical, asymmetrical, non-directional or any combo of 2.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 09-16-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by 5150DS
So you are saying take it off the rim and put it on the rim on the opposite side? My tire shop charges $20 for this, I guess it extends the life of a tire (doubles it) and you would have to do the same with the non directional to get the wear on the outside vs. the inside.
Yup, swap them out from one side to another making sure the tread is still rotating in the right direction (for directional symmetrical tread). It helps make the tires wear evenly when combating camber wear.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 AM
OP, I just looked at the treadwear rating and the Dunlop's are kind of low, 200. The Hankook's, which are rated second, have a 280 treadwear rating. If you drive 100+ miles a day, like me, that might be important to you.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by montyz81
I was reading the article in C&D on tires. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests They rated the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 as the best. I have a few questions..
1. Does anyone have these on their car?
2. How are they in wet conditions?
3. What size did you get as they do not have an OEM size for my 06 6MT Sedan.
1. I had them on my '05 STi. They have incredible grip for a street tyre.

2. Never had a problem in the wet. My STi was putting out 300whp and was stable in wet conditions, even going full throttle in the lower gears didn't cause any dramas.

3. n/a

The down side is that they're noisy as hell, sounds like you're driving a waterfall. Forget about listening to the radio or having a conversation with passengers at cruising speeds. Bear in mind that the STi has almost zero sound deadening though but these tyres are miles lounder than the stock ones.

Last edited by skyline250GT; 09-16-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Added further comments.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Moved...

Old 09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i like my hankook v12 evos, but if you want a racier tire than I'd get the Dunlops or even the Hankook RS3 which might be more comparable to the star spec.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
I didnt know the Yokahama S. Drives were so light. Almost 15 lbs a set is alot.

I am really curious about the new Hancock Ventus RS-3. Suposedly made of their race compound.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
The new Nitto NT-05 look really promising as well. The new rubber is simply a blend of the classic NT555 rubber with their race rubber. They claim it is the ultimate street tire. Plus it has a treadwear of 200 and traction rating of AA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New tire on the market question