Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Brake Warranty denied...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake Warranty denied...

... because I changed to aftermarket pads before getting the TSB work done.... says my dealer.

I installed Satisfied Pro Ceramics Oct/Nov 2003 with approx 20K miles, a week later the Brake TSB comes out. So I'm busy and don't carry my G in to have the TSB performed until May 2004; the rotors are turned free of charge.

July 2004 I realize that the rotors are still warped, vibration when applying brakes at 70mph. I carry the G in two more times without a resolution. Today the service mgr tells me that once I install aftermarket pads, the TSB is voided. The rotor turning they performed in May was a courtesy and not paid for by Infiniti.

Is this true? So I change my pads, rotors warp within the TSB period... will Infiniti claim that the warpage could have occured due to the Satisfied pads? Even though they have acknowledged warpage as an issue through a TSB?

What are my options? Any suggestions? Infiniti Consumer Affairs is closed as of 5pm EST, even though the website states 6pm EST.

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 08-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Brake Warranty denied...

do you still have the old pads lying around? Maybe you can reinstall them and take it to a different dealer?

ETicketRide
2003 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl/Willow Premium/Sport/Tint

Old 08-10-2004, 06:47 PM

that can't be right. I know people were sending in their receipts and getting reimbursed for brake jobs that were done before the brake warranty was extended. I think the instructions for making a claim for brake work were on the letter that was sent out about the brake warranty.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, limo tint, Phatbox 40g mp3 player

Old 08-10-2004, 07:35 PM
IQ9

I thought people were getting paid for outside brake jobs as well. The dealer may be holding out.

03.5 Sedan/B.Sil/Prem/Wntr/Aero/Tint/Rims/Hotchkis Sways--WHERE ARE OUR PARTS!
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 08-10-2004, 08:43 PM

You are in luck - if your invoice from May of 2004 reflects that the job was done under warranty... even if they say it was goodwill or a courtesy...Since they took the initiative to machine the rotors free of charge- they will be liable to honor your brake warranty - if everything you say in your post is true - they would have had to deny the coverage from the initian visit in May - THEY SCREWED UP... your benefit - I would call Infiniti Customer Realations and explain everything thats is in your post to them- then I would request a phone call or meeting with the factory rep... you will suddenly see people starting to help you --- Be Aware!!! Be polite and courteous during this and the results will happen faster ----
I know - because I work in the service department - (different car line) but its all the same ---

Old 08-10-2004, 09:55 PM

When I first visited in May, I specifically mentioned that it was warranty work I was there to have done... brake light switch and rotor turning. The service rep agreed and it was done, and she did say it was covered under warranty. It is only today that the svc mgr looked on his PC and stated that the turning was done as a courtesy.

To complicate matters, I am now at 36,075 miles. During May I was at 32,500, and was at 35,855 when the dealer last had my G. The mgr says he's certain that further turning will not be covered because of the aftermarket pads... please note, I installed the pads myself, and only the pads were changed... no turning of rotors. I had chucked my OEM set, lost the TireRack receipt, and 2 days later the official TSB is released, talk about bad timing.

Also, I picked up my car @4:30pm on Friday, got home @ 5:30, and see about a half a dozen gouge marks on the hood. Straight through the clearbra, a couple of pieces of the bra is even gone, can't tell yet if the paint is scratched. They've agreed verbally to replace the hood piece of the bra, but I suspect will be reluctant to repaint if the paint is scratched... I'm getting the touchup vibe from them.

Infiniti of the Palm Beaches (Schumacher)... the buying experience was unpleasant... now my service experience is challenging as well. And I wanted to have both my radiator and transmission flushed and filled soon, I don't think I want these guys touching my G again. I wish I had other options other than Coconut Creek or Lighthouse Point, both are 25+ miles away. But you know what,... 25 miles is not a bad drive to get good service. I'll have to ask the South Florida members for a good reference soon.

03.5 G35s

Old 08-10-2004, 11:18 PM

I make a 340 mile round trip drive to avoid the dealership that's 6 miles away.

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Keep us updated.

Old 08-12-2004, 01:35 PM

Well... hit option 7 on 800-662-6200, (option 3 that covers warranty and service issues is always closed) got someone who immediately went on the defensive splitting hairs on how it's not a TSB nor a warranty... just a "type of wear and tear" Infiniti has decidied to give. That they can't replace the rotors because the dealer determines if that necessary. She carries on for 3 or 4 minutes here before I stop her and tell her that I DO NOT want the rotors replaced, just resurfaced as stated in the letter.

Well if she "remembers" the letter, it only covers replacement if necessary. Well I got upset... if you remember??? Let's discuss facts here, why don't we read the letter and see what it says... Well she doesn't have it available, can I fax it to her??? I expected Infiniti Consumer Affairs (ICA) to be knowledgable on the topics concerning their cars, and especially well acquainted with communications sent to their consumers! This individual (IMO) was only concerned with finding reasons to say no, and was not interested in clearing up the questions I had... namely why would aftermarket pads void this "type of wear and tear" service when their own OEM pads cause rotor warpage?

I asked for a supervisor and was promptly told that I'd get a call back in 24-48 hrs... I went nuts! I want my issues resolved right away, not tomorrow or next week. So I decided to let her continue with the issue. She'll be calling the dealer to hear their side and will call me back. I'm tempted to cut my losses now and quit.

A few years ago I decided to pursue luxury brands in both Acura and Infiniti, mainly for the higher quality of service the brands are supposed to provide. Neither have done anything special to earn a service reputation... nothing! When I drove Nissan and Mazdas I knew that going to the dealers simply meant paying more, so I always sought out independant garages with good reputations. Who'd have though I need to do the same with premium brands... unless Infniti and Acura are not true premium brands.

Whoa... an update... get this now. The dealer tells ICA the Satisfied Pro Ceramics were the wrong size, and as such I'm out of luck. No more work will be done at Infiniti's nor the dealer's expense.

Stick me with a f***ing fork... I'm done! The s*** isn't worth the stress!

03.5 G35s

Old 08-12-2004, 03:37 PM

you can get those rotors machined for about $20.00 if you take them off yourself - any machine shop would be more than happy to do it... they usually charge $10.00 per rotor

Old 08-12-2004, 03:48 PM
IQ9

How are the pads the worng size? They just happened to fit after you hit them with a mallet to get'em in the calipers. What a load of $hit. I had a similar prob on the brakes and told them I have already had an indepent shop look at them and here are the results...eat $hit and die and give me my free $hit. It worked but PITA. I hate hearing these stories or being a part of one.

03.5 Sedan/B.Sil/Prem/Wntr/Aero/Tint/Rims/Hotchkis Sways--WHERE ARE OUR PARTS!
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 08-12-2004, 09:36 PM

In a world where everyone sells basically the same products, service is what separates the brands... Circuit City vs. Best Buy, Dell vs. HP, bank vs. credit union, Ritz Carlton vs. Howard Johnson, Target vs. WalMart.... etc., why is it so many companies are missing the point?

I would have expected Infiniti to aim for excellence not mediocrity. Even Acura, with the bad tranny issue, although they wouldn't provide info on why the tranny sucked, was always nice and pleasant during every single phone I had with them (at least six). This is my first call to Infiniti and I feel like I was speaking to someone they hired someone from WalMart's stockroom.

I know I'm upset when I can't stop venting... I need to go play some "Spear Toss"... and relax... where's my Captain Morgan's?....

03.5 G35s

Old 08-13-2004, 10:48 AM

Just got a call back from a supervisor at Infiniti Consumer Affairs, ICA, and I firmly believe they're not concerned about about their customers' perception of the company. She could have told me No in an empathetic fashion... but her main concern was ending the conversation ASAP and getting rid of me. She cut me off in mid-sentence a few times until I told her that if she was concerned about providing good service, she should stop doing that... but I was already pissed again. I just asked to elevate the issue once more.. and I'm told I have to do it in writing.

I am sorely tempted to write Infiniti's executive offices, not to get the brakes fixed, but to decry the manner in which I was treated. But from my experiences, attitudes like this start at the top and trickle down... I'm almost certain I'll have to go through many layers to see any results. Is it worth my time? I guess it depends on how full my weekend turns out to be...

03.5 G Sedan for sale in West Palm Beach, FL... 36,100 miles... tint, spoiler, clearbra, splash guards, cared for like one one of my children, mint condition, full maintenence records, balance of 4yr/60K and 6yr/70K factory warranties... only $25,000.

03.5 G35s

Old 08-13-2004, 10:59 AM

I tried the same thing after dismal service experiences. I never got a response back. Not trying to deter you but I don't think they care that much. Sales are up, and shareholders are happy. Unfortunately, keeping the shareholders happy is the first priority (in this and many other industries.)

Old 08-13-2004, 11:10 AM

That's most unfortunate. It really makes me wonder how Infiniti can rank consistently top/near top the JD Power surveys year after year. My guess is because they do not factor the calls to Infiniti Consumer Affairs.