Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Should I get the Michelon Pilot AS or Bridgestone Blizzaks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
If you don't get much snow, then a higher end all-season tire like the Pilot Sport A/S or Bridgestone's RE960AS should serve you just fine. But be prepared to spend $900+ US on them, they're not cheap. And summer tires won't wear out fast if you buy the right ones.

As for rims, look on here for some used ones for your winter setup. No need to go low-end aftermarket if you can get superior OEM here for less money.

I'm not sure I understand your question because these 2 tires couldn't be more different. The MXV4 is a medium quality all-season grand touring tire that will fail as soon as it sees a light dusting of snow. In no way is it a substitute for a WR or WRG2.
Thanks for the reply, getting rims off the board is a hassle still need to mount and balance following as well, I could care less about the rims for a winter setup.

I think I will just stay my plan and leave the order in that I made for the Falken Eurowinter HS439's V rated mounted to MB 7X Alloy rims from DTD, all in $778 shipped to my USA addy. I have been offered the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for Plus 225/55/17 for $710 shipped plus 70 MIR on top since I am ordering some Hankook Ventus AS RH07's for my RDX at the same time for $518 shipped

Due to living at elevation and having a steep driveway I am concerned that the Michelins will not suffice for the snow we do receive leaving me scrambling to find winters... Last year we got hammered and our 03 Maxima SE was not able to get us up the hill with AS tires prompting me to buy winters on rims, after that not an issue.

I am trying to get feedback from those using the Michelins year round who have encountered winter snow and maybe dealt with elevation climbs as well, if so was it relatively safe with the G35x. My Eagle RSA have 15K miles on them so I will need to buy AS tires sometime in the spring as well, if I bought the Michelins now I could get by and save cash but I wonder if the savings are worth it over a true winter that will just work alot better

Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid
Thanks for the reply, getting rims off the board is a hassle still need to mount and balance following as well, I could care less about the rims for a winter setup.
It's not really about having Infiniti rims, it's that they're superior to cheap aftermarkets, and probably less expensive. They'll be well balanced, and far less likely to bend if you hit a pothole. But I understand about the hassle of getting them shipped, and your purchase would likely be cross-border.

Originally Posted by Cisco Kid
I think I will just stay my plan and leave the order in that I made for the Falken Eurowinter HS439's V rated mounted to MB 7X Alloy rims from DTD, all in $778 shipped to my USA addy. I have been offered the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for Plus 225/55/17 for $710 shipped plus 70 MIR on top since I am ordering some Hankook Ventus AS RH07's for my RDX at the same time for $518 shipped

Due to living at elevation and having a steep driveway I am concerned that the Michelins will not suffice for the snow we do receive leaving me scrambling to find winters... Last year we got hammered and our 03 Maxima SE was not able to get us up the hill with AS tires prompting me to buy winters on rims, after that not an issue.

I am trying to get feedback from those using the Michelins year round who have encountered winter snow and maybe dealt with elevation climbs as well, if so was it relatively safe with the G35x. My Eagle RSA have 15K miles on them so I will need to buy AS tires sometime in the spring as well, if I bought the Michelins now I could get by and save cash but I wonder if the savings are worth it over a true winter that will just work alot better
If you can afford it, dedicated winter and summer tires on 2 complete setups is the best way to go. It's the most flexible and the best performing. I expect my 2nd set of wheels to pay for themselves in about 2 more years (3 years total, 6 tire swaps at about $60 each, or $360 total, a little less than what I paid for my Coupe 18's including shipping).

Sorry, no experience with the Michelins.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have my blizzaks on, they def are bouncy and sluggish with turning. I could easily throw a momentum drift with these tires, though I haven't tried.

But hey, they're winter tires, I'm happy for my added safety in bad weather.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:45 PM
I would agree with the people that said get both. I can't speak for the Blizzaks, but I have Dunlop M3s, very similar. I replaced my stock Bridgestone Potenzzas with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and find them to be just as good as the Potenzas on dry pavement, better in the wet and capable of moveing the car in snow (though not good in the snow, much much better than any summer tire which will basically just spin), plus you can rotate them and they have a 45K mile guarantee on tread life. I would say replace the summer tires with the A/S, but for the winder get a set of ASA rims (or some other not that expensive set) and snows.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
btw, wanted to add, love the look of the blizzaks. real nice lookin tire, even from the sidewall angle.

almost looks like offroading tires.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I am currently looking at the Michelin Pilot alpine pa3 which is supposed to be a comparable tire to the Bridgestone blizzak lm60. Car and Driver recently reviewed the
Michelins in it december issue. Most of the members of this site are are using the blizzaks
or the Nokians. I currently have the michelin ps2 summer tires and am looking at getting
a 17" wheel and tire setup. Will the 17" oem wheels from a 350z bolt on. and will they
fit over the brakes. I have a 2005 g35 coupe withe sport tuned suspension and 19" wheels. also any comments on the michelins pilot alpine pa3. from what I have read I may go with the blizzaks.