Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Should I get the Michelon Pilot AS or Bridgestone Blizzaks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Should I get the Michelon Pilot AS or Bridgestone Blizzaks?

Winter is coming, snow is coming. I live in NJ. Now it does snow, just not all that often. I currently am riding on Kumho summer tires, which are starting to slip even in the rain lol.

I hate summer tires.

So should I switch to the Michelon AS, or the Winter Blizzak tires? I just don't think wearing winter tires for 5 months, is worth the few snow storms that happen. But who knows, what you guys think I should do? Thanks, appreciate it.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SlickSilverG
Winter is coming, snow is coming. I live in NJ. Now it does snow, just not all that often. I currently am riding on Kumho summer tires, which are starting to slip even in the rain lol.

I hate summer tires.

So should I switch to the Michelon AS, or the Winter Blizzak tires? I just don't think wearing winter tires for 5 months, is worth the few snow storms that happen. But who knows, what you guys think I should do? Thanks, appreciate it.
I ran both and I would definitely run Blizzaks during the winter.
I agree with you on the summers, I purchased the Pilot Sport All Seasons for summer but still got the Blizzaks for winter on my last sedan, and my sedan was awd.
You have a RWD coupe so I would definitely do the Blizzaks.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:55 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Agree with above. For the few times you really need a snow tire they are worth their weight in gold. I ran a/s on my G once then switched to winters and never went back to a/s again.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
BOTH! Mich's in summer, Blizz in winter. If you hate your summer tires and they are sketchy in the rain, you need better/different/new summer tires.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'd go with mich's which much lighter than blizz

Old 11-21-2009, 04:24 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Get Nokian WR's for the winter. It's the only all-season tire that qualifies for the severe use symbol (mountain and snowflake). I've been running them in northern Michigan winters for years (Ford Exploder, Mazda CX-7, and now the G35x) and they've been incredible. It's the only winter tire I'll run on because they're awesome in the snow and still give decent handling when it's dry.

More importantly, they have 2 huge advantages over a dedicated snow tire like a Blizzak. Snow tires are effective because of the compound that makes up the tread. It's softer and more pliable, which keeps it effective when the weather gets really cold (summer tires get too hard). Dedicated snows like the Blizzak only have this softer tread on the outer half of the tread. Once they're half worn, they become just a medium quality all-season tire. However, the Nokians have the the winter compound for the entire tread depth, so they'll be effective winter tires as long as they have tread. You might get 2 or 3 seasons out of the Blizzaks but I expect to get 4 or 5 out of my Nokians.

The second advantage is the problem of when to change them over to your summers. If you change too soon, you run the risk of getting caught in a spring snow storm. But the longer you wait with dedicated snows, the faster you'll wear them out (they don't like warm pavement). But the Nokians can be driven on year round because they are actually all-season tires. So you can wait until you're sure winter is gone and then put your summers on.

If it sounds too good to be true, it's not. Like I said, I've run them for years in Michigan, and it's the only winter tire I'll ever own (all my siblings drive on them too). They aren't cheap (17" will run you $700+), but neither are Blizzaks.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 AM
^^^^ I agree about the Nokians, I have ran their winters in the past. The new WRG2 would be a great option. I considered getting them for my FX35, but they did not carry the Nokian WRG2's in my size. The other problem is there are no Dealers near me.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
K I appreciate the advice. I looked at the Nokian site, doesn't seem to have the right size tires.

I'll go with blizzaks, they're cheaper, and I'd rather not crash my baby, or die this winter, haha.

Thanks.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:12 AM
^^Excellent choice

Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Dedicated snows like the Blizzak only have this softer tread on the outer half of the tread. Once they're half worn, they become just a medium quality all-season tire. However, the Nokians have the the winter compound for the entire tread depth, so they'll be effective winter tires as long as they have tread. You might get 2 or 3 seasons out of the Blizzaks but I expect to get 4 or 5 out of my Nokians.
are you sure about the winter compound being in the first half of the tread in a dedicated winter tire? I am asking because I KINDA want to agree with you...

My Hankook I-pike winters are on the car for a 3rd season, but I feel like they are slipping on snow and ice a LITTLE more than they used to.. the tread is probably at 80% and way deep... much better than my summer tires.. but not as GREAT as they used to be.. still VERY GOOD...

Old 11-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
are you sure about the winter compound being in the first half of the tread in a dedicated winter tire? I am asking because I KINDA want to agree with you...

My Hankook I-pike winters are on the car for a 3rd season, but I feel like they are slipping on snow and ice a LITTLE more than they used to.. the tread is probably at 80% and way deep... much better than my summer tires.. but not as GREAT as they used to be.. still VERY GOOD...
Yes, I'm certain. My percentage maybe slightly off, but that's how they are. You pay more for Nokians, but you're getting a better tire with more life.

From Tirerack.com on the Blizzak WS60:
"When the Blizzak WS60 is 50-percent worn, a tread depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that only 10 percent of the remaining tread is the Tube Multicell compound."

So the Blizzaks are 60% good tread, but this is their lesser tire at $115 per tire (215/55-17). The LM-60 is $170 per tire (235/50-17). The 18" tires are around $200.

EDIT: If you can find Blizzaks on sale, by all means get those. But if you're looking at $200 per tire, consider the Nokians. A set of 4 Nokian WR 215/55-17's installed was about $675. I ended up getting the WRG2 in 225/55-17 for about $800 installed (the WR's weren't in stock and the snow was piling up). The WRG2 is the replacement for the WR, but the WR is still an outstanding tire. That's what I had on my Mazda CX-7. I can't really tell the difference, but it may have been difficult anyway because the vehicles are so radically different.

Last edited by BuckeyeInMI; 11-23-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:38 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
From Tirerack.com on the Blizzak WS60:
"When the Blizzak WS60 is 50-percent worn, a tread depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that only 10 percent of the remaining tread is the Tube Multicell compound."

So the Blizzaks are 60% good tread, but this is their lesser tire at $115 per tire (215/55-17). The LM-60 is $170 per tire (235/50-17). The 18" tires are around $200.
Remember that the first part of B-Stones Tube Multicell compound is already better than what the other brands start with new. You end up getting a much better tire from the start, and once the compound is worn away it then turns to a standard winter compound like all others had from at their beginning.

Also, the WS line is the only passenger car line that has the multicell compound, the LM line does not.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who currently has the best deal on the Nokian WRG2 tire? I live outside of Vancouver BC Canada, the tire is ridiculously expensive here. Like a previous poster mentioned I was running a set of ipike w409's on a 16" MB 7X Alloy rim on my previous 03 Maxima, the tire was really great for the winter. However the combo was a 40mm offset and would not fit our new 08 G35X .

The Nokian is a tire I have considered, if I can get for the equivalent cost of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus I will just go with those as they will suffice for the snow we get where I live. At this point in time I had been considering a set of MB5 or 7X rims with either the Falken Eurowinter or the ipike 409 again as dedicated winter tires and then move to a good AS tire in the spring, i feel a really nice summer tire will wear out to fast...and not be worth the cost since the car is driven by my wife more than I...

I have found discounttiredirect to have the best pricing and price matching but they do not carry the Nokians

Can anyone add comment about the Michelin Primacy MXV4 as an option to the WRG2?

Last edited by Cisco Kid; 12-02-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by neal@tirerack
Remember that the first part of B-Stones Tube Multicell compound is already better than what the other brands start with new. You end up getting a much better tire from the start, and once the compound is worn away it then turns to a standard winter compound like all others had from at their beginning.

Also, the WS line is the only passenger car line that has the multicell compound, the LM line does not.
Bridgestone's "Muliticell" technology might be new, but it's not necessarily superior to what Nokian produces. The WS60 has a silica-enhanced compound to keep it pliable in cold weather, but Nokian's been using that same technology for years, not just on their most recent tires. And we're comparing apples to oranges in many ways. The Blizzak is a dedicated winter tire whereas the Nokian WR and WRG2 can be driven on year round. Try that with the Blizzaks and you'll be buying new ones within a year after the warm pavement burns them to a nice smooth doughnut. If we're going to compare similar tires, then the Nokian Hakkapalita would be the more similar tire.

I'm not knocking the Blizzak or Bridgestone (I have RE760 Sports for summer), but lets not overhype the Blizzaks because they have "multicell". Is multicell superior to Nokian's "sipe pump" technology? Who the hell knows, it's mostly marketing hype anyway. The Blizzak is a very good winter tire, I just happen to think the Nokian WR series is a better all-around tire. It's outstanding in the winter (5 northern Michigan winters on Nokians for me), it can be driven on well into spring so you don't get caught in a late storm with your summer tires on (warm weather kills dedicated snow tires), and it will last longer. Bridgestone says 12-15K on the Blizzaks, I expect to get closer to 20K on my Nokians.

And I think some full disclosure is in order. Tire Rack sells Blizzaks but does not sell any Nokians.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid
The Nokian is a tire I have considered, if I can get for the equivalent cost of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus I will just go with those as they will suffice for the snow we get where I live. At this point in time I had been considering a set of MB5 or 7X rims with either the Falken Eurowinter or the ipike 409 again as dedicated winter tires and then move to a good AS tire in the spring, i feel a really nice summer tire will wear out to fast...and not be worth the cost since the car is driven by my wife more than I...
If you don't get much snow, then a higher end all-season tire like the Pilot Sport A/S or Bridgestone's RE960AS should serve you just fine. But be prepared to spend $900+ US on them, they're not cheap. And summer tires won't wear out fast if you buy the right ones.

As for rims, look on here for some used ones for your winter setup. No need to go low-end aftermarket if you can get superior OEM here for less money.

Originally Posted by Cisco Kid
Can anyone add comment about the Michelin Primacy MXV4 as an option to the WRG2?
I'm not sure I understand your question because these 2 tires couldn't be more different. The MXV4 is a medium quality all-season grand touring tire that will fail as soon as it sees a light dusting of snow. In no way is it a substitute for a WR or WRG2.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I get the Michelon Pilot AS or Bridgestone Blizzaks?