Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Handling in Snow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BlacknTan
What you drive in the winter is the point. Yes, I think it is ignorant to drive a rear wheel drive sports car in the snow,,,unless just for personal enjoyment. No, you won't see me in the ditch because I plan for the winter with the proper vehicle (4x4), proper tires, and proper speed. I won't take my g out of the garage during the winter and the very few times that I have verified my belief that sports cars are not meant for the snow. (do you really see that many vette's or camaros or GTR's in the snow...hint hint) I have seen what nissans paint looks like after being sand blasted for a couple winters on a few other cars, and while the original OP didn't ask about it, I feel it is pertinent to make sure he knows how easily it chips off.

This is a forum of opinions, and just because your opinion doesn't match others doesn't mean that they are ignorant,,,,it means that that is their opinion.
"Get the right tires and learn how to drive in the snow and you'll realize how ignorant your statement really is."
I say GET THE RIGHT VEHICLE and see how ignorant you are for driving a low, rear wheel drive, sports coupe as a DD in the snow. If you don't have the means for a second vehicle then i understand, but shoot you can buy a set of snow tires for the cost of a winter beater.
Answer me this:
What part of any car or truck - other than the tires - actually comes in contact with the snow, ice and cold pavement? What car or truck accelerates, steers or brakes through some means other than it's tires?

When it comes to winter traction, the only material difference between a G35 and any winter beater (other than the tires) might be ground clearance and weight. More ground clearance helps only in specific conditions, and more weight works against you most of the time. In low traction conditions any difference due to chassis or steering geometry, weight distribution or center of gravity is minimal at best.

It's the tires that matter. Put the same tires on a G35 and a beater and they will perform similarly in low winter traction conditions. That's not opinion, it's simple physics.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by BlacknTan
What you drive in the winter is the point. Yes, I think it is ignorant to drive a rear wheel drive sports car in the snow,,,unless just for personal enjoyment. No, you won't see me in the ditch because I plan for the winter with the proper vehicle (4x4), proper tires, and proper speed. I won't take my g out of the garage during the winter and the very few times that I have verified my belief that sports cars are not meant for the snow. (do you really see that many vette's or camaros or GTR's in the snow...hint hint) I have seen what nissans paint looks like after being sand blasted for a couple winters on a few other cars, and while the original OP didn't ask about it, I feel it is pertinent to make sure he knows how easily it chips off.

This is a forum of opinions, and just because your opinion doesn't match others doesn't mean that they are ignorant,,,,it means that that is their opinion.
"Get the right tires and learn how to drive in the snow and you'll realize how ignorant your statement really is."
I say GET THE RIGHT VEHICLE and see how ignorant you are for driving a low, rear wheel drive, sports coupe as a DD in the snow. If you don't have the means for a second vehicle then i understand, but shoot you can buy a set of snow tires for the cost of a winter beater.
i think the reason you don't see ferrari's, vettes, etc. in the winter is due to the low clearance.. these cars would handle just fine with winter tires..

i don't consider a G35 a sports car or a car that needs to be garage kept in the winter.. these cars are worth $15k now.. lol.