Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Handling in Snow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handling in Snow?

I have a G35 coupe, how would it handle in snow with some snow tires?

I've been going to the mountains a lot for snowboarding and want my ride to be reliable when it's icy. I'm thinking of trading in my car for something with all wheel drive because of this. Preferably impreza or evo. But if it handles decent then I'll probably keep my ride

Old 03-15-2010, 01:06 PM
They are terrible in the snow! Awesome on the dry but seriously, I used to get stuck in a flat parking lot covered in ice and a half an inch of snow. A little sand in the trunk helps but this car is just not made for it.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:36 PM
you had snow tires on?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah gs are the worst in the snow

Old 03-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Nope, no snow tires. Its pretty hard to find snow tires for 19's lol. I'm tellin ya, I got stuck one day when there was literally 2 inches of snow. But hey when I did get going it was a hella good time gettin squirly all over.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:43 PM
How about trying to get snow cables?

Old 03-15-2010, 03:10 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I ran snows on my 6MT's and drive 30 miles one way to work and had no issues. Right tires can make a world of difference.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:21 PM
I have been driving my daily driver G coupe on OEM 17" M+S All Season Goodyears in the last 6 consecutive winters.

As long as there is no greater than 3 " of snow on the roads (which is usually what remains between snow plow passes) I haven't had any trouble keeping up with FWD Altimas and Camrys.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With snows, the G is decent in winter. It's no Subaru or Audi but you should be mobile in snow that's under 4 inches. With summer tires, don't even bother....

Old 03-17-2010, 12:44 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BlacknTan
They are terrible in the snow! Awesome on the dry but seriously, I used to get stuck in a flat parking lot covered in ice and a half an inch of snow. A little sand in the trunk helps but this car is just not made for it.
Nope, no snow tires
Look, 1 + 1 does equal 2!

This car is quite good in the snow WITH THE PROPER EQUIPMENT, but any car is going to be terrible if you don't have the right tires. The car is well balanced front to back, and the VDC does a nice job of keeping things under control in snow.

Originally Posted by mugen_rsx09
Yeah gs are the worst in the snow
See above. Get the right tires and learn how to drive in the snow and you'll realize how ignorant your statement really is.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Wow guess were calling each other ignorant and whatnot now. I looked, but never found a 19 inch winter tire. And besides if you wanna drive your g in the snow with all the sand, rocks, and salt on the roads especially with nissan's reputation on their paint well then sir I would have to call you ignorant. Go get a beater for the snow,,,leave the g for summer driving. If you have enough money to get a set of cheap 18's or 17's with winter tires, well you have enough money to just get a winter beater. It doesn't take a genius to determine that a low, front heavy, rear wheel drive coupe handles like crap on ice and snow. Tires help but...

Old 03-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
uhh.. most of us that have winter tires do have dedicated wheels/tires for the winter..
since switching tires from the same rims cost about $150 every season.. and not very economical..

to the OP.. the G handles fine in the winter with winter tires.. just don't get WIDER tires in the winter (than OEM size).. and just drive slow..

Old 03-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Nope, no snow tires. Its pretty hard to find snow tires for 19's lol. I'm tellin ya, I got stuck one day when there was literally 2 inches of snow. But hey when I did get going it was a hella good time gettin squirly all over.
you can find all seasons in 19's ExtremContact DWS is a very good all season with great snow traction up to a point. Look in to them.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Wow guess were calling each other ignorant and whatnot now. I looked, but never found a 19 inch winter tire. And besides if you wanna drive your g in the snow with all the sand, rocks, and salt on the roads especially with nissan's reputation on their paint well then sir I would have to call you ignorant. Go get a beater for the snow,,,leave the g for summer driving. If you have enough money to get a set of cheap 18's or 17's with winter tires, well you have enough money to just get a winter beater. It doesn't take a genius to determine that a low, front heavy, rear wheel drive coupe handles like crap on ice and snow. Tires help but...
What I choose to drive in the winter isn't the point, it's that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, so please stop offering advice to people as if you did. If you're driving in the snow with summer tires, then who's the ignorant one? I might get a little dirtier in the winter, but it's idiots like you that I see in the ditch all the time because they weren't prepared for the conditions.

And please point out where I did call you ignorant (other than above). I very easily could have, especially since you are truly "without knowledge" when it comes to winter driving experience with your G35.

BTW, the G35's weight ratio is about 53/47. Technically, it's nose heavy, but I challenge you to find any credible car review that doesn't say the G35 is extremely well balanced. Wow, you're just loaded with misinformation aren't you?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 AM
What you drive in the winter is the point. Yes, I think it is ignorant to drive a rear wheel drive sports car in the snow,,,unless just for personal enjoyment. No, you won't see me in the ditch because I plan for the winter with the proper vehicle (4x4), proper tires, and proper speed. I won't take my g out of the garage during the winter and the very few times that I have verified my belief that sports cars are not meant for the snow. (do you really see that many vette's or camaros or GTR's in the snow...hint hint) I have seen what nissans paint looks like after being sand blasted for a couple winters on a few other cars, and while the original OP didn't ask about it, I feel it is pertinent to make sure he knows how easily it chips off.

This is a forum of opinions, and just because your opinion doesn't match others doesn't mean that they are ignorant,,,,it means that that is their opinion. [/QUOTE]"Get the right tires and learn how to drive in the snow and you'll realize how ignorant your statement really is." [QUOTE] I say GET THE RIGHT VEHICLE and see how ignorant you are for driving a low, rear wheel drive, sports coupe as a DD in the snow. If you don't have the means for a second vehicle then i understand, but shoot you can buy a set of snow tires for the cost of a winter beater.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Handling in Snow?