Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Falken FK-452's vs. Hankook Ventrus V12

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:44 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hydroshock360
I would stay away from hanook, I've only had my G35 coupe for a month it came with brand new hanook ventus v12 tires. My drivers side rear completely shredded off the the rim. Allstate adjuster came to look at my car today he agrees its shredded and not blown out. There is some minor body damage but not happy with these tires or the dealership i bought the car fromAttachment 138559

I had a set of new kumho's on my truck, and had the same thing happen to me, sure enough there was a tiny nail in the sidewall that caused a slow leak, and if you drive enough on a low tire, the sidewall just deteriorates and will cause that to happen.

Maybe you had a slow valve leak or a bent rim of some sort that the dealership didnt catch. Either way, very dangerous, but I wouldn't rule out the fact that the tire could have been low. At highway speeds, the TPMS may not be able to catch that leak, or you may not have been able to feel it.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
At highway speeds, the TPMS may not be able to catch that leak, or you may not have been able to feel it.
This. The TPMS sensor is not fool-proof, especially in our cars. Thus why i don't even use it anymore.

That's just it the tire didn't explode. That is shredded. I have had blow outs before ad it look nothing like that. Even the adjuster and the Allstate claims guy that saw the tire agree it's not a blow out.

Should of just put the normal own spec. Even the claims guy and my friend at a Nissan dealership said they should of put oem spec not aftermarket.
TBH, i would take a claims adjuster's word with a grain of salt. I've dealt with them before, some are fairly competent but others have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Case in point, when i was rear-ended before, the damages were quite apparent, confirmed by at least 2 shops, including myself... they originally said all i needed was a new bumper. In the end i got them to fix everything --- frame straightening, entire cat-back, rear suspension components, trunk floor, taillights, rear quarter panels, etc. What was originally their estimate of about $1000 in damages ended up being 8x more.

As for OEM spec, it's all relative. Different geographical locations offer different brands or models of tires. It all comes down to what the company is able to get.

I understand your concern about having the family on board and having tire shredding like that, i'm a family man myself and will do *anything* to keep them safe. But with items such as tires, it's really hard to control what happens to them. I've had blow-outs and bubbles develop on tires regardless of which brand. Honestly, a shred like that is somewhat easier to control than an instant blow-out.

Don't take me wrong, i am not arguing or questioning anything you're saying, just giving my 2c worth.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:45 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Here's my opinion and I haven't seen it stated already so if someone mentioned this I apologize.

I know a LOT of people that run the Hankooks including myself for over a year and I'm on my second set. NONE of us have had any issues with the tires, and if you read the hundreds of reviews of these tires just on Tirerack no one reports this issue either. So while I understand the OPs concerns, I don't think it's fair to label these tires as ****. I'm 48 and have driven a crapload of cars in my time, and for the money the Hankooks are one of the best bargains out there. I will continue to rock them proudly.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
could it be possible that the dealer did a poor job of installing the tire or made a mistake while seating it?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:54 PM
^ Possible, but the way that sidewall shred tells me it was underinflated. It's classic, and a reason why i think those adjusters are somewhat clueless. It can happen to any tire, new or old.

However, tut the lack of warnings from the TPMS is a mystery, unless the sensors were already defective to begin with.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
^ Possible, but the way that sidewall shred tells me it was underinflated. It's classic, and a reason why i think those adjusters are somewhat clueless. It can happen to any tire, new or old.

However, tut the lack of warnings from the TPMS is a mystery, unless the sensors were already defective to begin with.
i wonder how long you would have to run on an underinflated tire(lets say new for experimental puposes) for this to occur and how much under for this to happen so quickly.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't think it's much, a long time ago i ran a flat tire from the entrance of our subdivision to my house, thinking i could just make it home and change the tire in the garage.

Bad idea, i completely messed up the sidewall just going 30mph. It didn't tear, however, but did have to be replaced instead of just patching it up.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alxmlr789
I had a set of new kumho's on my truck, and had the same thing happen to me, sure enough there was a tiny nail in the sidewall that caused a slow leak, and if you drive enough on a low tire, the sidewall just deteriorates and will cause that to happen.
Maybe you had a slow valve leak or a bent rim of some sort that the dealership didnt catch. Either way, very dangerous, but I wouldn't rule out the fact that
the tire could have been low. At highway speeds, the TPMS may not be able to catch that leak, or you may not have been able to
feel it.
Lol wrong, wrong and wrong. Dealership looked at the tire and admit it was tire failure. They went out and bought michlen pilot some thing all season tire and replaced all tires. Ops checked the tps and looked at the valvestems to rule out a leak. Found nothing Infiniti is repairing all damage and gave me some money. Alls well an ends well. No more hankooks for this guy.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Hankooks for sure, the falkens won't last you a summer.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soundmike

They checked valve stems, and TPS also reprogrammed it and found nothing. like I posted earlier they can't pin point the reason for failure and also said it shouldn't have shredded the way it did. They put brand new michelin pilot sport a/s plus front and rear as requested, i'll take all season tires over summer tires any day of the week thats just me though. As posted before they are covering all damages and breaking me off a little cash.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 PM
They checked valve stems, and TPS also reprogrammed it and found nothing. like I posted earlier they can't pin point the reason for failure and also said it shouldn't have shredded the way it did. They put brand new michelin pilot sport a/s plus front and rear as requested, i'll take all season tires over summer tires any day of the week thats just me though. As posted before they are covering all damages and breaking me off a little cash.

glad to hear the dealer take care of you. But i for one will take summer tires over all season all day living here in SoCal.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
^ +1

Old 06-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Temple City Auto sells Falkens for cheaper than ANYWHERE else, but they only sell Falkens .. hmmmmmm

$618 installed for those that you listed hmmm

Last edited by prinny; 06-07-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by prinny
Temple City Auto sells Falkens for cheaper than ANYWHERE else, but they only sell Falkens .. hmmmmmm

$618 installed for those that you listed hmmm
thats probably why theyre cheaper... thats all they go through.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
The 452's were the first tires I put on my current coupe. Even in factory specs for alignment, for whatever reason, the inner block of the tires would go out and the middle to the outside would be completely fine. Camber wear should be even diagonal wear, this was not diagonal throughout the tire.

Ended up replacing the rears because it was too late for me to get them replaced as they were bald and nobody wanted to touch them. I started flipping the tires but again, the inner block would go out and the middle to outside is untouched. So basically by the end of it while trying my best to stay legal, I would replace the tire with the shoulders being gone and the middle of the tire having at least 50% tread. The fronts did the same.

Again, I had factory spec alignment on factory suspension.

I'm slowly making my switch to Hankooks now and will see how that turns out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Falken FK-452's vs. Hankook Ventrus V12