Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

New wheels = Intermittent vibration 80mph and above...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New wheels = Intermittent vibration 80mph and above...

What's going on everyone. I was hoping to get some useful feedback from the forum as I have been having intermittent vibration issues since I've installed my new wheels. I'll try to be as thorough as possible.

I originally had OEM 19' Rays with 25mm H&R DRM spacers with no problems. Last week I installed my new 19' Varrstoen ES1s, poly hub rings, new Toyo Proxes 4+ rubber, new KYB GR2s on stock springs (stock height), and a fresh alignment.

Now I have intermittent vibration 80mph and above. The "intermittent" is what is throwing everybody off. Sometimes, usually first thing in the morning, the car rides perfect... I've gone up to 100mph with absolutely no vibration. However, in the evenings when I get off of work (8pm), all four wheels have vibration. I can feel it in the steering wheel and the rear.

I got the tires from Discount Tire and they've mounted / balanced twice using a Hunter Road Force balancing machine. They say the tires and wheels are good and that if they were not balanced I would get vibration all the time. I mentioned tire flex but it still seems awkward that would be happening on all 4 tires from a reputable tire like Toyo. I've begun suspecting the hub rings and will take a look at those tomorrow to inspect. Do poly rings flex, shrink, swell? I confirmed before install that they were 73.1 to 66.1. Could it be the shocks? Any ideas on what could be changing to cause intermittent vibration like this? Like I said, absolutely no problems before new wheels. Thanks in advance for any advice...

Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Trade those tires in for Michelin Pilot Super Sports!

Could easily be the tires, a few less quality tires need to warm up before hitting that speed. Almost like flat spotting only it goes away when the tires warm up. It's also a good idea to have tires rebalanced after a few miles once they're seated....Gary

Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the reply Gary... I've had my suspension and complete undercarriage checked by a frame and wheel alignment shop no problems. Had my brakes and rotors checked as well jic... everything is good. I had the wheels re-balanced again for the 3rd time (went to a different Discount Tire) so I'll see how it works out this time. They added weights to right rear.... So, if they still vibrate now (been 2 weeks) I'm going with a different brand of tire...

Old 05-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
I got the same tires. Had the same problem. Took over 3 balances at different places until it got right. The last place did a road force balance & tire match were they rotate/remount the tire to a specific spot on the wheel. Tech said something about my rear tires & that it affected it somehow but i forgot. I still notice a very, very slight vib at certain speeds but then again maybe its just me & I'm just looking for it too much.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Those tire balance machines need to be recalibrated often so you get a true balance. Guess yall know what tires not to buy, spend the $$ for quality tires like Michelins you'll never have issues....Gary

Old 05-30-2013, 12:24 AM
So I went to a different Discount Tire to get my wheels rebalanced and they added weights to every single wheel... Absolutely no vibration now, so I'm thinking the initial DT needed to recalibrate their balancing machine as Gary mentioned. Been a day and a half now w/ speeds up to 100mph so I'll keep a close watch on them. One more hiccup and I'm done. I've got my eye on sets of Bridgestone and BFGoodrich for replacements if so...

Old 05-30-2013, 03:00 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a friend of mine had the same problem this weekend after getting the Varrstoen not sure what tire brand he was using he went twice to get balance same vibration i sent him to friend shop re balance vibration gone now it was the shops machine not working right were he got the wheels from.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Just an update for those who are interested. Vibration returned on the Toyos so I'm done. Swapped them out for Continental extreme contact DWS, which is what I had on my OEM Rays and they ride perfect up to 120mph. Much more confidence and planted feel with the contis. I also went wider, 255-35-19 front and 285-35-19 rear for more sidewall. Though within spec, the Toyos were slightly stretched (245-35 / 275-35) and I'm really not the biggest fan of stretched tires or the rim sticking out look anyway. But overall... delighted with the contis. Thanks to those who provided your input...

Old 06-04-2013, 04:18 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
That can be caused by the tire's internal construction. Tires with nylon ply's tend to temporarily flat spot after being driven then parked and cooled. Usually goes away after the tires warm during driving, but still kinda annoying.