Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Help an old man fix a rough ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help an old man fix a rough ride

Ok, I'm not that old, but a smoother ride is becoming more important as the years go by.

I have a 2005 g35 with the sport suspention. It didnt feel that rough when I test drove it, but i've spilled my coffee several times now due to the ride.

I was hoping that I could just pop on some Koni adjustable struts and fix everything, but it looks like I need a camber kit too? (Koni struts $800 + $600 for ultra cheep camber kits + instalation ??? = ?) I assume I will need camber kits with Tein CS coil overs aswell, and they are $1500.

Of course I want to go to wider rims and tires as well. I'm wondering if going down to 18" might not be the way to go?

Sigh, this is getting very expensive. Has anyone gotten rid of thier sport suspension in favor of a softer ride? Got any advice on how to go about it? Hopefully cheeply.

Thanks.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by silver
Ok, I'm not that old, but a smoother ride is becoming more important as the years go by.

I have a 2005 g35 with the sport suspention. It didnt feel that rough when I test drove it, but i've spilled my coffee several times now due to the ride.

I was hoping that I could just pop on some Koni adjustable struts and fix everything, but it looks like I need a camber kit too? (Koni struts $800 + $600 for ultra cheep camber kits + instalation ??? = ?) I assume I will need camber kits with Tein CS coil overs aswell, and they are $1500.

Of course I want to go to wider rims and tires as well. I'm wondering if going down to 18" might not be the way to go?

Sigh, this is getting very expensive. Has anyone gotten rid of thier sport suspension in favor of a softer ride? Got any advice on how to go about it? Hopefully cheeply.

Thanks.
You do not need camber kits if your choice does not lower the car. Based on what you want, this are the choices I recommend.

1. Tokico D-spec shocks. They are double adjustable, the Koni's will improve the ride quality by the virtue of having superior valving. But, in your case they only offer rebound only adjustability, which has little effect on ride quality since they lack the ability to adjust compression dampning. The Tokico's adjust compression dampning and rebound together, so they will impart a change in ride quality as you set them soft or firm.

2. Tokico D-spec shocks and oem non sport springs. Non sport sedan springs will give you the same ride height you have now, with one key benefit for your ride quality goal. They are 10% softer then the sport springs on the car now. You should find getting a set of the springs off a member here easy, estimated cost $70 shipped.

3. Buy a non sport suspension. While I don't recommend this in reality, since the suspension is underdampned. It would give you a improvement in ride quality. However, when the pavement get's bad the shocks allow for things to go on that never should be allowed to happen. I do have a oem non sport suspension that I can sell you dirt cheap if you wanted to try this route. But I stand by my thoughts that I don't recommend it.

4. Tein CS These are engineered for ride comfort, but they do up the spring stiffness as do all coilover systems. Certainly the dampners they use will offer vastly superior valving control over the oem shocks, they should offer the improvement in ride quality that your after. Since Tein tells us the drop range specs for all application's on their web site, you'll be happy to know that with the CS system on a sedan, you will not have to invest in camber correction. The min drop is just .3", you should have no problem staying within sedan alignment specs even with a .7" drop.

5. Another option is the HKS LS coilovers sytem. But this system does alter the front to rear spring stiffness balance, transfering a lot of spring stiffness to the front of the car. HKS would have to be called to find out the min and max drop amounts on the sedan.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Thank you so much! It looks like the Tokico shocks, stock springs and new camber kit might be the cheapest. How many man hours at a local shop do you think it will take?

As far as the Tein cs goes, you specify that I would not need to invest in a camber kit for a sedan. Does that hold true for the coupe too?

Thanks again.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't need a camber kit as gsedan35 mentioned. You only need the D-specs
and have them set it at 5.5 from full hard when they install it. Should take no
more than 3 hours to do. ($225 labor?)

Old 02-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I dont need the camber kit for the D-specs or the Tein CS or both?

(Oh, read the first line)

Last edited by silver; 02-14-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
silver- camber kits are only needed when you change height of the car or when you're
going for a specific performance setup for racing.

For what you're looking for, you are not going to be changing height so you won't
need a camber kit nor an alignment (per say). Just swap out the shock/struts
with D-Specs and you're set.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:46 PM
That is damn good news! Thanks!

Old 02-14-2005, 08:16 PM
I have both, 17's and 18's. will trade either for harsher 19' ride. {17's do ride better, but I like it rough}