Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

coilovers, Tein or HKS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coilovers, Tein or HKS?

ok so I'm planning to purchase my coilovers soon and am stuck between two models. the Tein Flex with EDFC is the most common. i like the in car adjustability that the EDFC offers and I know from personal experience and comments from others the Tein is grade A stuff. I also know that HKS is untouchable in quality, fit and finish. so I'm seriously considering the HKS coilovers. the HKS costs more initially but less once you add the EDFC price to the Teins. installation plays no part in it for me since I do my own work. anyone have expereince with both? I know that's a long shot but it's worth asking. haven't turned up anything in the search engine. hear a lot from people with EDFC but anyone have the HKS coilovers? any issues or complaints?

Old 03-11-2005, 02:15 AM
what are you going to be doing with the coilovers? Track? daily driving?

Old 03-11-2005, 02:33 AM
I've had the HKS RS on my car for about two weeks now and I'd recommend them to anyone. I have it on the middle setting for everyday and everyone that I've had in the car says it rides just like stock. HKS RS is the way to go if you want something with great adjustability as well as a great ride. I picked mine up from Injected Performance for $1400 shipped.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:39 AM
HKS drop

Originally Posted by aLL STaR gene
I've had the HKS RS on my car for about two weeks now and I'd recommend them to anyone. I have it on the middle setting for everyday and everyone that I've had in the car says it rides just like stock. HKS RS is the way to go if you want something with great adjustability as well as a great ride. I picked mine up from Injected Performance for $1400 shipped.
Do you know what the drop range on the RSs is. I'm looking fro as close to OEM height as possible.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure of the exact numbers but I'm going to take a guess and say you won't reach stock height... maybe someone else with these can confirm for you.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:10 PM
z4s
If you look at Perf. Nissan's site, you can see they advertise 0" - 3" drop with the HKS RS coilovers.

I am getting mine today (please UPS) and will be installing with protocav this weekend ... I will let you know if the "no drop" is attainable, or at least what the min. drop is.

- jim

Old 03-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Hks Rs

Originally Posted by z4s
If you look at Perf. Nissan's site, you can see they advertise 0" - 3" drop with the HKS RS coilovers.

I am getting mine today (please UPS) and will be installing with protocav this weekend ... I will let you know if the "no drop" is attainable, or at least what the min. drop is.

- jim
cool , I'd like to hear you review when done.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Buddha, my G is my daily driver. but I do plan on tracking it. not often but when I can find the free time, I love a good road course. the TX motor speedway is my closest track

Old 08-08-2005, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by z4s

- jim
Hey any follow up info on your new suspension setup?

Old 08-08-2005, 06:29 AM
try giving Silk Road a look. they're delish . seriously, these are hardcore coilovers. A lot of drifters in Japan use these. They arent trendy as TEIN, HKS, or JIC...kind of like Aragosta, a top brand you didnt hear of. The nice thing about Silks is that you can spec your spring rate. And like "true" coilovers...the preload is separate from the height adjustment. There's a few neat tidbits too that you just have to read up about.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by 636Racer
try giving Silk Road a look. they're delish . seriously, these are hardcore coilovers. A lot of drifters in Japan use these. They arent trendy as TEIN, HKS, or JIC...kind of like Aragosta, a top brand you didnt hear of. The nice thing about Silks is that you can spec your spring rate. And like "true" coilovers...the preload is separate from the height adjustment. There's a few neat tidbits too that you just have to read up about.
I would like to know more about the Silk Road if you have any info. I was also told that if you use the Tein's there is some adjustment to correct camber?!?! Is this true?

Old 08-08-2005, 12:17 PM
I'd also like to know if the Teins have camber correction capabilities. I'm about to put 20"s on and need a drop. I won't be tracking or anything, so I'm still deciding whether I need coils as opposed to just springs. I'm guessing it'll be a significant drop since I'll be a little higher on 20"s, so camber might be an issue. If that's the case, that may push me towards coils.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any coilover will give you camber problems regardless. unless you have it at stock height values.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GsUpHoesDown
I'd also like to know if the Teins have camber correction capabilities. I'm about to put 20"s on and need a drop. I won't be tracking or anything, so I'm still deciding whether I need coils as opposed to just springs. I'm guessing it'll be a significant drop since I'll be a little higher on 20"s, so camber might be an issue. If that's the case, that may push me towards coils.
On some applications (like on the Subaru's) there is camber correction on the top hat (pillow mounts) but for the G's, there isn't. The camber is controlled
by the upper A-Arms.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Cactus
I would like to know more about the Silk Road if you have any info. I was also told that if you use the Tein's there is some adjustment to correct camber?!?! Is this true?
http://www.silkroad-usa.com/pages/rm8.htm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: coilovers, Tein or HKS?