Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Help - suspension change tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - suspension change tips

I'm getting ready to install my 2005 350Z suspension and need some help. The new rear struts arrived without headmounts - I'll need to remove the ones off my existing setup. However, how do I get the head mount off the old strut? There's a 14mm bolt holding the assembly in place, but I can't figure out how to secure the strut in order to remove it - any suggestions? BTW - power tools are not an option. Also - when reassmbling, how tight do I torque down that bolt? If I've confused the issue, I'm talking about the assembly that contains the rubber sheath for the strut and the mounting flange that bolts the strut to the frame.

Also, between the stock headmount and the car, there's a sort of orange gasket, or vinyl washer about 3 inches across. Anybody know what this is for and/or whether it should carry over with the new suspension? The ones that were there appear to be in pretty back shape - warped, dry, and cracking.

Finally, about 18 months ago, I swapped my non-Sport suspension to the Sport setup. Ever since then, there's been a creaking coming from 2 of the corners in the morning when easing out of the driveway. I've assumed that this is just the struts when cold, but maybe it's something more. Has anyone else experienced this? The suspension change was clean - nothing is loose and everything torqued to spec, but something in there is making noise - maybe cold struts or bad springs?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe for any help you can provide!

Old 06-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by townsley
I'm getting ready to install my 2005 350Z suspension and need some help. The new rear struts arrived without headmounts - I'll need to remove the ones off my existing setup. However, how do I get the head mount off the old strut? There's a 14mm bolt holding the assembly in place, but I can't figure out how to secure the strut in order to remove it - any suggestions? BTW - power tools are not an option. Also - when reassmbling, how tight do I torque down that bolt? If I've confused the issue, I'm talking about the assembly that contains the rubber sheath for the strut and the mounting flange that bolts the strut to the frame.

Also, between the stock headmount and the car, there's a sort of orange gasket, or vinyl washer about 3 inches across. Anybody know what this is for and/or whether it should carry over with the new suspension? The ones that were there appear to be in pretty back shape - warped, dry, and cracking.

Finally, about 18 months ago, I swapped my non-Sport suspension to the Sport setup. Ever since then, there's been a creaking coming from 2 of the corners in the morning when easing out of the driveway. I've assumed that this is just the struts when cold, but maybe it's something more. Has anyone else experienced this? The suspension change was clean - nothing is loose and everything torqued to spec, but something in there is making noise - maybe cold struts or bad springs?

So why are power tools out of the question? I am going to be doing my Z suspension hopefully this week before our G35 meet.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by tgenius
So why are power tools out of the question? I am going to be doing my Z suspension hopefully this week before our G35 meet.
I don't have access to power tools. I did a search on this topic yesterday and read that someone was able to remove the bolt using power tools (maybe an impact wrench). I just don't have anything like that.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
power tools are required!
I think you should rethink your approach

Old 06-06-2005, 01:38 PM

I was going to be a bit sarcastic because you've already swapped one suspension for another but I guess someone could have done it for you.

The rear shocks head mount can be removed by holding the slotted top of the shock rod with a cresent wrench. Then undo the 14 mm bolt while keeping the shock rod still with the cresent wrench. It helps if the bottom of the shock is in a vise or have a strong friend hold it. The torque spec is 20 - 24 ft/lbs and since a torque wrench won't work, use your best guess. The 14 mm nut is self locking, so just make sure it's tight.
DON'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO THIS METHOD WITH THE FRONT STRUTS/SHOCK COMBINATION ...... IT WILL HURT

The red paper thing is required for some reason. Everything I've read says to keep it.

There is a set of instructions over at my350Z forum that explain how to install a s-tune suspension. I recommend you read them.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by G35 6MT
I was going to be a bit sarcastic because you've already swapped one suspension for another but I guess someone could have done it for you.

The rear shocks head mount can be removed by holding the slotted top of the shock rod with a cresent wrench. Then undo the 14 mm bolt while keeping the shock rod still with the cresent wrench. It helps if the bottom of the shock is in a vise or have a strong friend hold it. The torque spec is 20 - 24 ft/lbs and since a torque wrench won't work, use your best guess. The 14 mm nut is self locking, so just make sure it's tight.
DON'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO THIS METHOD WITH THE FRONT STRUTS/SHOCK COMBINATION ...... IT WILL HURT

The red paper thing is required for some reason. Everything I've read says to keep it.

There is a set of instructions over at my350Z forum that explain how to install a s-tune suspension. I recommend you read them.

Whats the big deal with the front suspension? don't you just loosen the bolts from the engine bay and drop em?

How would it hurt?

Old 06-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't use air tools either. Worked just fine...even did a WRX with only hand tools....

As mentioned above, you just hold the center piston rod and turn the nut with
your box wrench. It's not on THAT tight. I just sat down, held the shock between
my feet and loosened the nut. very easy.

tgenius- for those that know how to do sus mods it's a funny joke, but don't say
thing that could misguide and seriously hurt a newb trying their first sus mod.
when that spring unloads off the top mount without first being compressed,
that mount could cause serious injury.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by G35 6MT

I actually did the suspension swap the last time, but that suspension came with the headmount pre-assembled, so this procedure wasn't required.

Thanks for the tips, that sounds like it'll work for the rears. I figured it was something easy - just wanted to verify. Luckily, the new front suspension is pre-assembled, so no worries there.

Thanks again!

Old 06-06-2005, 11:43 PM
I actually did the suspension swap the last time, but that suspension came with the headmount pre-assembled, so this procedure wasn't required.

Thanks for the tips, that sounds like it'll work for the rears. I figured it was something easy - just wanted to verify. Luckily, the new front suspension is pre-assembled, so no worries there.

Thanks again!
Anytime to help a fellow G35'er. Just as a update though I recommend using some WD-40 to soak the threads. I just had to cut a nut off a center piston rod and it wasn't fun, nor was I impressed, as it was fused on tighter than a virgins ****. Even a dose of heat didn't help.