Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

people that installed Tein Basics themselves...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
people that installed Tein Basics themselves...

Did you follow the instructions for setting the position of the spring perch? I followed it exactly and the front looks perfect but the rear is 1/2" higher than what the instructions call out... basically looks like I only lowered the front at this point... They call for a wheel-center to fender height of 13.3" on the front and 13.8" on the rear, I'm at 13.3" and 14.3" front/rear...

Obviously I can adjust the rears to lower it more, just wondering if anybody else had come across this and what might have caused the discrepancy...

(G35 coupe btw)

thanks,
jeff

Old 07-08-2005, 07:42 PM
I installed the flex by myself. If the basics are the same as the flex, the spring perch is not where you want to adjust the height. The lower green part of the coilover threads up and down over the black middle part. Loosen that single lock nut and thread the green part up to lower the height. It's measurement A in the diagram you use for height.

My drop with flex at the recommended settings:

Last edited by Darth_Bobo; 07-08-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:53 PM
actually.. i think the flex and basics are a bit different. the flex's are monotube and the basics are twin tube (?)

Old 07-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Sorry, they are different. Looks like basics will change the spring preload when adjusting height.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2005, 09:36 PM
I thought of something else - did you pay attention to the spring orientation in the rear when you installed it? There is a pocket type thing in the spring bucket where the end of the spring slots into. The bottom of the spring isn't flat, so the very end of the spring fits into the lowest part of the bucket.

Hard to explain without a picture, but not having the spring oriented right in the bucket could be lifting it up a bit.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Darth, i know what you're saying about the spring orientation, and yes I made sure that it was correct... I even pulled it back apart and checked it again... I ended up adjusting the rears to the lowest position possible and that looks pretty good... I contacted Tein and they weren't sure either what the deal was... the only thing I can think of that makes possible sense is if they accidentally put too stiff of a spring in my kit... i know they make several different rate springs... if my rear springs were a higher rate, then the drop would be less at the same perch position compared to the softer springs...

Old 07-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2JZfan
Darth, i know what you're saying about the spring orientation, and yes I made sure that it was correct... I even pulled it back apart and checked it again... I ended up adjusting the rears to the lowest position possible and that looks pretty good... I contacted Tein and they weren't sure either what the deal was... the only thing I can think of that makes possible sense is if they accidentally put too stiff of a spring in my kit... i know they make several different rate springs... if my rear springs were a higher rate, then the drop would be less at the same perch position compared to the softer springs...

I have seen several Basic user's with G's and Z's install and come back wondering why the rear could not be lowered to the person's liking, this is a pretty common issue, too many to really say it's do to owner error duing install IMO. But a pic of your rear's installed clearly showing a single rear spring and the upper and lower mounting area's would help.

On the issue of possibly having received a incorrect rear spring. Basics can only handle a tiny increase in spring rate change, +56lbs max, so going any higher then that would be noticed by you ride and drive wise. The rear springs didn't have any number's printed on them did they?

Did the install in the rear reuse the oem upper spring seat (the thing about the oem springs made of black rubber, pretty thick with kinda a cone shape to in at one end)?

Old 07-10-2005, 10:42 AM
yeah, I reused the factory rubber upper (cone) and lower seats... the instructions indicate exactly what OEM parts need to be reused and I verified this several times... I verified that everything is "sandwiched" properly... i.e. there is no gap between the upper rubber and the body or the lower rubber and the rear lower link... I'll pull a wheel off again and check it all one more time, but I don't see how it could be installation error... it's such a simple thing there's not much to mess up...

Old 07-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
I myself really wasn't thinking it's a install issue, but in times like this it is alway's a good idea to double check.

Since the steup does reuse the oem upper spring seat, that's your ticket to getting the rear drop height you want. I won't paint this as easy. But you can pull that upper seat out(it's held in place by simple metal tabs applying fiction to keep them in place). And use a hacksaw and slice off about a 3/4" chunk, which will still leave you with about 3/8" of material to isolate the spring. Then reinstall them and use the Tien height adjustment system to get the rear drop you want. Hint, when your cutting, use lot's of WD40 to lube the blade.