Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Tire Pressure Gauges-Alert

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Tire Pressure Gauges-Alert

Just a reminder for something you could check.
This weekend I was shocked to find out my tire pressure gauge that I use religously was reading 4 PSI LOW !.

I read somewhere in the past week that digital gauges are usually more accurate and dependable than the pencil style gauges. I have been using my pencil style gauge to check both my vehicles, but on 2 occassions my tire monitor went off over the last few months. I decided to purchase a digital gauge and holy cow my tires were 4 pounds low. I bought another one but not as expensive and it agreed with the other digital. So I now keep one in each vehicle and I can compare readings once in a while.

So if you are **** about tire pressures which is extra important since the rise of gas prices, CHECK the accuracy of your gauges.

Wayne

Last edited by GEE35FX; 09-05-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GEE35X
This weekend I was shocked to find out my tire pressure gauge that I use religously was reading 4 PSI LOW !.

I read somewhere in the past week that digital gauges are usually more accurate and dependable than the pencil style gauges. I have been using my pencil style gauge to check both my vehicles, but on 2 occassions my tire monitor went off over the last few months. I decided to purchase a digital gauge and holy cow my tires were 4 pounds low. I bought another one but not as expensive and it agreed with the other digital. So I now keep one in each vehicle and I can compare readings once in a while.

So if you are **** about tire pressures which is extra important since the rise of gas prices, CHECK the accuracy of your gauges.

Wayne
I check mine once a month
I run 38-40 PSI on all tires 255-30-20/285-30-20
my tires always looks flat

Old 09-05-2005, 04:12 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wayne
Wayne, I gave up on the older pencil type gauges ages ago, in favour of the digitals. I have 2 and know that they're accurate, (and a lot easier to read being digital and with the 1/2 pound rosolution too).
CTC has a heck of a deal on their digitals sometimes: (less than 1/2 price) and I have taken advantage of that 3 times - twice for me and once for Terry.

My book says that the warning light and buzzer comes on at 27 lbs. (buzzer only for 10 seconds) , but it says nothing of high pressure warning.
Mine may not warn of high pressures like others I've heard of., and you've seen the readout in the navi display, and there is a warning screen that flashes if one (or more tires) is low.
Great system if you forget to check for a while or suddenly lose pressure(s).
I like to see how high my pressures go while driving....At my speeds (hwy) it goes up about 3 pounds with summer ambient temps.

Good point about keeping pressures on spec to save fuel. (I take it a step further and go about 2-3 pounds high- but that's my preference.)

C.

Old 09-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Colin, I'm following your method and running my 18s with 2psi higher then reccommended for the sedan.
I did a lot of searching the other day and it appears the warning light is as you say ,it only warns of low pressures.
I had a couple of pencil style gauges and they are now in the town dump site.

Old 09-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Wheres a good place/site that they sell digital tire pressure gauges for cheap? My warning light has been going on excessively this past week. Whats the recommended pressure for a g35 coupe?

Old 09-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by mrjonang
Wheres a good place/site that they sell digital tire pressure gauges for cheap? My warning light has been going on excessively this past week. Whats the recommended pressure for a g35 coupe?
The tire pressure for your car with stock tires will be on a placard that you will find on your door post on the drivers side.
I see you are from Cali so I would imagine any automotive discount store will have the gauge. In Canada they range in price from $10 to $35 Canadian. The one I got is guaranteed for 5 years and is accurate to 1%.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:04 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Colin, I'm following your method and running my 18s with 2psi higher then reccommended for the sedan.
I did a lot of searching the other day and it appears the warning light is as you say ,it only warns of low pressures.
I had a couple of pencil style gauges and they are now in the town dump site.

Hey Wayne, don't chuck them out......those are 'prime garage sale items'.
I humour Mom and have one once in a while. She loves 'em.

Perhaps you feel better by dumping the erroneous gauges. Wouldn't want to mislead someone.

C.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
I have 2...................
CTC has a heck of a deal on their digitals sometimes: (less than 1/2 price) and I have taken advantage of that 3 times - twice for me and once for Terry.
Let me guess....you keep both in the car - testing air pressure every third day, alternating between daytime and nighttime readings, cross checking between the two gauges, correcting for ambient temperature, cataloging the results in a leather bound volume with gilt edge pages using a Jerry Seinfeld 'Astronaut Pen' and kept in a fire proof safe with a motion sensor on the door and capable of setting off an electrical charge if the fingerprints don't match those of Terry or yourself.

Or would that be too **** even for you?

Old 09-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by big daddy d
Let me guess....you keep both in the car - testing air pressure every third day, alternating between daytime and nighttime readings, cross checking between the two gauges, correcting for ambient temperature, cataloging the results in a leather bound volume with gilt edge pages using a Jerry Seinfeld 'Astronaut Pen' and kept in a fire proof safe with a motion sensor on the door and capable of setting off an electrical charge if the fingerprints don't match those of Terry or yourself.

Or would that be too **** even for you?
ROFLMAO Gsm is indeed a stickler for detail. I must add that with Colin's M, it tells him what the tire pressure is in each individual tire on his Nav screen when he calls it up. Just awesome .

Last edited by GEE35FX; 09-05-2005 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:12 PM
yeah i also notice too that my tire pressure warning has gone off a lot during this month, its usually one of my rear tires, i need to get a nice digital tire monitor soon, any recommendations on a decent one with good accuracy?

Old 09-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must add that with Colin's M, it tells him what the tire pressure is in each individual tire on his Nav screen when he calls it up.
Yeah but can he adjust the hot air pressure within the cabin?