Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Caliper clip scoring rotor before pads worn?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caliper clip scoring rotor before pads worn?

Been reading all the posts about brake pads and rotor wear recently. Got 4800 miles on my G35 6MT sedan and did 2 days of track time at Watkins Glen last week. Brakes were fine at the track, but I wanted to recheck them again when we got home. So, my boyfriend and I are looking at the rotors and the pad wear last night and there's still a decent amount of pad left, though the back is a good bit more worn than the front.
HOWEVER, when we're looking at the calipers, especially on the rear, we notice that there is a small metal clip on the inside of the caliper very close to the rotor. He says "you know even though you have ample pad left, this metal clip is gonna make contact with the rotor and score it before your pads are really worn to the point where you would normally replace them. Better keep an eye on this." A bell goes off in my head as I recall numerous posts by folks who were surprised that they had to have rotors replaced with brake pads sooner than anyone would expect with no good explanation from Infiniti techs. We think this inside metal clip is scoring rotors before the brake pads are gone--so you really need to replace pads earlier to prevent it. That sucks.

Anybody else have thoughts on this or notice that small clip on the inside of the brake calipers?

Dreams garnet fire/graphite leather 6MT 2003.5 premium/aero/winter