Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Spacer on sport package G35 sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spacer on sport package G35 sedan

Does anyone know or have tried putting spacer on stock sports package 17" rims? I am thinking about pushing the wheels out 10mm each side to give it a wider stance without having to buy a new rims plus I like the stock sports package rims. This should give it a little more agressive look and with no wheel rubs. Where can I get the 10mm spacer and if I need to get long hub bolts for it. Any sources you folks have?

Thanks and any input is appreciated.

-PratG35

Silver 2003.5 G35 Sedan 5AT.
Sports and premium package
Stillen CAI
6 Wire grounding
Stillen dual exhaust (when it comes out)
Eibach Pro Kit (soon..)
350Z throttle body
Battery Quick Disconnect Switch

Old 07-27-2003, 12:16 PM
Re: Spacer on sport package G35 sedan

i dont know much about a spacer but i like ur little battery quick disconnect switch.

Old 07-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Go to www.optauto.com and look for the H&R wheel spacers, use the 95-98 Nissan 240sx (S13 or S14) I bought a set of them in 5mm, they work!, even though I ended up not using them. BUT!,......for a 10mm spacing, you have to figure out how to buy longer wheel studs. Cause with a 10mm spacer you can't use your stock wheel studs, their not long enough.

BTW, I'd love to know how you came to think the 350Z throttle body is any different than the G35's. I'd like to know the source of the info that you drawing on. I don't think their different, and I'd like proof, that's all.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts
Crawford intake pleneum comming

Old 07-27-2003, 02:36 PM

Thanks Gsedan35 for info about spacer.

Regarding the throttle body, check out this thread. There are pictures of the G35 vs the 350z
https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part=

-PratG35

Old 07-27-2003, 03:40 PM

Your welcome about the spacer info, I wanted to spare you all the research I had to do.

That thread you posted talks about the Stillen Intake and 350Z duct. I'll take it to mean that your sig isn't talking about the actual 350Z throttle body, but that intake duct. Correct? The thread never mentions the throttle body, I looked at every post.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts

Old 07-27-2003, 07:16 PM

Duh.... I was thinking about 350Z Intake ducting.. goes to show you how newbie at this I am

Sorry for the confusion

-PratG35

Old 07-27-2003, 09:13 PM

Prat

Funny you mentioned this.

I just did this on my 2003 G35S Silver with Sports Package stock 17's. Bought 5/8" (7.94 mm)spacers at PepBoys for 5 bucks each. They definitely add tot he aggressive look. I can post pictures if you want. Let me knwo,

However, the spacers I got are generic (with oval holes for hub bolts). So they move around before you tighten them. I tried my best centering them when putting them on, but it seems like they cause a little of a misbalance (not too bad at all).

But they look great!!!!

Gurgen

2003 G35 Silver/Sport/Winter/Aero-bumber only/stillen intake/clear markers

Old 07-28-2003, 02:11 AM

Gurgen,
If you could post the picts I would appreciate it or private mail me. You did a 5/8" eh? Did you have to get longer bolts or if existing bolts long enough? I am afraid that you won't have enough threads to hold the nuts, thus the wheels, if I go too thick thus my decision for 10mm.

1 inch = 25.4 millimeter so your 5/8" is 0.625 inches = 15.875 mm

-Pratg35

Old 07-28-2003, 02:28 AM

Prat

my apologies
I meant 5/16". The 7.9mm estimate was correct, inches were off. It is basically 8 mm. They are not very good though as I had already mentioned. With these spacers, i still had sufficient thread not to have to change the bolts. I think around good 10 full revolutions on the lugnuts. If you want, I can confirm the exact number of revolutions.

Because these generic spacers (with wide, oval holes) move around, I looked into getting the HKS after reading about them in the above posts. However they are available for our car ( I mean the 240sx, infiniti j30 size corresponds to our size) in 5 or 15 mm variations and above. NOT 10mm. These HKS are of perfect size and with round holes not oval and will this not mess up the wheel balancing. But HKS' are also expensive. I have a couple of creative ways to center these generic spacers onto our wheel by use of some type of plastic band to sit around the center circular protrusion (on which the wheel usually sits, sorry dont knwo the exact name) and have the fixer be affixed to it. second possibility is to have the spacer some how secured onto the wheel itself and have the wheel balanced that wayon the computer balancer. the balancing is the only problem with my currect $5 spacers. Will keep you posted.

I am thinking 10mm MAY BE doable without changing the lug bolts. I But thats pushing it. This 5/16" is a perfect fit, and pushes the tires out just the right amount (aesthetically speaking). I will post pictures as soon as I take them.

To achieve 10mm spacing, do you think it's feasible to place two 5mm spacers on each wheel. I think thats too high aprice to pay (money-wise). 5mm spacing alone maynot look sufficiently good.

What do you think?

Gurgen

Old 07-28-2003, 03:25 PM

Gurgen,

The 10mm number was something I just pull it out of my hat. Sounds like 5/16" is good and I can't wait to see the pictures

Please keep me posted about your idea on balancing the wheels, I consistantly go over 85 and don't want the vibration on my steering wheels. I don't think stacking two 5mm is a good idea so I won't even try it. Also I am trying to avoid having to put in longer bolt as I hate taking the car to the shop and prefer to do everything myself.

Cheers,
-PratG35

Old 07-28-2003, 04:24 PM

Since I own the 5mm spacers, I can tell for a fact. Their's no way you can avoid NOT getting new longer stud's if you go past 5mm spacer size. I did a test where I mounted a spacer and them a rim. I barely had enough theads to safely mount on the stock wheel studs, their's no way you can do 10mm on stock wheel studs.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts
Crawford intake pleneum comming

Old 07-28-2003, 07:38 PM

hey guys

I went to a wheel shop to day, took off the rim, and saw that there is no way to simply mount spacers under the wheel. with my 8 mm spacers, the wheel no longer rested on the hub bore (just rested on the lug bolts). That's dangerous! so i removed the,. Sory prat, no pics taken before removal, too bad, they looked very good.

Will rpoabbly go for 1 piece 5zigens soon. got a good deal (300 each or so).

Gurgen

Old 07-29-2003, 01:13 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I went to a wheel shop to day, took off the rim, and saw that there is no way to simply mount spacers under the wheel. with my 8 mm spacers, the wheel no longer rested on the hub bore (just rested on the lug bolts). That's dangerous!

<hr></blockquote>

I think thats the case with any wheel spacer. I don't think it's dangerous. I've been on 20mm spacers for 3000 miles.

2003.5 CB Coupe 6MT
Pics

Old 07-30-2003, 05:30 PM

Gurgen,

I had to try it also. [img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img] So I went to Pepboys and got the 5/16" (or 7.9mm ) and tried it on. Definitely looks better and yes, the wheel now rest on the bolt [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img] . But before I took it back out, I actually drove around at up to 40mph and no vibrations (yea, I was taking a small risk). It's now removed and I am going to return the spacer to pepboys. BTW, I also checked that at 7.9mm, there are exactly 5 full rotations of the nut which I think is sufficient to hold the wheels. But since the wheel sits on the bolts, I am not going to keep it. Too bad our wheels are not bolt-centric..

Also
http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...tion=&back=yes

and

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/...20Spacers.html

Has spacers but the type I want is the "DRM" type which are 25mm thick and I think will make my wheel stick out of the fender a little.. Still thinking if I should do it. At $149/pair is expensive though cheaper than new rims and tires.

Later,
-PratG35

Old 07-31-2003, 03:33 AM

hey prat

i took the plunge and dropped my car with the eibach pro kit. Since I don't want to change the wheels until my tires wear out (nor do i really have the money now), I am still considering getting some sort of spacers.

Here is what I found out. I went to a shop called Grand Prix Tires (gptire.com), and talked to chris (the owner, or one of them anyways). He said that there is a company that custom makes the spacers! 250 bucks for all 4. At first i thought it was too much, but later decided to go for it. Well.. little that I kwno that because the bore leaps off from the edge of the hub only 406 mm or so (i.e. too little), to make hub centric spacers, they would need to be AT LEAST 25 mm.

I think that's too wide, espcially with my dropped car. Do you see a resolution here?

Gurgen

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Spacer on sport package G35 sedan