Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Wheel and Tire almost flew off the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Call the Cops
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel and Tire almost flew off the car

As i was driving home today, i was about .3 miles away from my house.. i hear a loud knocking sound and the whole rear of the car starts shaking.. i pull over to see the wheel half-way off the car! it was so weird, i found one of the wheel nuts on the ground, one was barely on one of the bolts and the other ones were gone. i ran back home to get the extra wheel nuts.. i jacked up the car, took the rim off and i see that 3 of the bolts that hold the rim are like sawed off, i look inside the rim and 3 of the threads are stripped and scratched. i couldnt believe it.. out of no where!
i did replace the tire of that same rim a month ago, but i didnt do anything wrong as it was fine until tonight.
i dont have any pics but i hope i can fix the threads on the rim.. do you think its possible? do i have to replace the whole rotor assembly or can i replace the part? price? will warranty cover this HELP!

Attached Thumbnails Wheel and Tire almost flew off the car-aaa.jpg  
Old 11-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Sounds like maybe someone was trying to steal your wheels, and was interrupted.... or possibly even sabotage you.

Got any new enemies?

Good thing you weren't on the highway bro.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Call the Cops
oh man i hope not.. lol sabatoge. but no i doubt that..

funny thing is i was about 10 secs away from merging onto the freeway to get somethin at the mall, but i forgot my wallet so i had to turn back

oh man what a nightmare it would have been

Old 11-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you have to retorque the lugs after swapping your wheels. i torque them up to 90ft/lbs (some use 80ft/lbs) and then re-torque them after 5miles
of driving, then again after about 25 miles of driving.

it's not unusual for lug nuts to loosen after they settle in on the wheel after
a swap.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by BBB
i jacked up the car, took the rim off and i see that 3 of the bolts that hold the rim are like sawed off, i look inside the rim and 3 of the threads are stripped and scratched. i couldnt believe it.. out of no where!
i did replace the tire of that same rim a month ago, but i didnt do anything wrong as it was fine until tonight.
i dont have any pics but i hope i can fix the threads on the rim.. do you think its possible? do i have to replace the whole rotor assembly or can i replace the part? price? will warranty cover this HELP!
If the parts circled in red are the ones you need, try here

Old 11-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Did you mean the hub bolt looked sawed off or the lug nut looked sawed off?
Those are reasons why you don't want to overtorque your lugnuts... how old is your car? But I guess not torqueing them would do the same...
I doubt warranty will cover it but it is worth a shot. If not, you can go back to the shop that installed your tire and complain...

Last edited by dofu; 11-22-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Call the Cops
the hub bolt looked sawed off.. i guess thats a relief thanks for the link dave.
i had a hole in the tire and i took it to infiniti to take my rim and replace the tire with a new one, i went home and i put it on myself.. im so stupid i didnt know i had to torque them and re-tighten them.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:58 AM
so hwo did u put it on urself? u just torqued it as hard as u can get?

Old 11-23-2005, 01:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i am a bit lost here..
it is possible that you didn't torque them properly that they get loose
afterwards..

however.. the bolts being "saw off" seems to suggest that you might
have OVER torqued it?

since if you didn't tighten it enough..the only thing can happen is
that the nuts will get loose...and eventually the wheel will come off
but i guess that wont cause the bolt to be "saw off" ?

hope you will get the bolts replaced asap

regards,
Godmans

Old 11-23-2005, 04:13 AM
yea dude, it could have been a disaster. i once was driving on the freeway with my dad, and the car in front had its tired loose and it fly up in the air and landed on my dad's nissan maxima's hood/fender. luckily , it didn't hit the windshield and break everything.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:29 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by godmans
i am a bit lost here..
it is possible that you didn't torque them properly that they get loose
afterwards..

however.. the bolts being "saw off" seems to suggest that you might
have OVER torqued it?

since if you didn't tighten it enough..the only thing can happen is
that the nuts will get loose...and eventually the wheel will come off
but i guess that wont cause the bolt to be "saw off" ?

hope you will get the bolts replaced asap

regards,
Godmans
It does sound like he over torqued them since the threads are stripped too...

Old 11-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by dofu
It does sound like he over torqued them since the threads are stripped too...
Not necessarily, it could also be under torqued and all of them got loose, and that's how he got the shaking and most of them came off, and that's when the wheel was leaning right on the studs and stripped the threads this way. Over torquing could more likely damage the stud but it would not get loose on the stud. It happened to me, and the whole stud was loose with the bolt tightly still on it. I had to drill and brake it off.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:59 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BBB
As i was driving home today, i was about .3 miles away from my house.. i hear a loud knocking sound and the whole rear of the car starts shaking.. i pull over to see the wheel half-way off the car! it was so weird, i found one of the wheel nuts on the ground, one was barely on one of the bolts and the other ones were gone. i ran back home to get the extra wheel nuts.. i jacked up the car, took the rim off and i see that 3 of the bolts that hold the rim are like sawed off, i look inside the rim and 3 of the threads are stripped and scratched. i couldnt believe it.. out of no where!
You sure you retorqued the nuts after the tire change a month ago? Did someone do the job for you?

Anyway, you need to replace the ruined/broken studs which is easy. You bang out the old ones and replace with new ones.

C.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Call the Cops
yea im pretty sure i over torqued it when i replaced the wheel.. but i didnt retorque it after that.

^ yea i told my parents all i needed to do was re-order the studs and put them on but my dad thinks the rim is damaged cuz of the stripped threads and he doesnt trust me at all. he called road side assistance to bring a flatbed and take my car to the dealership for them to fix it.. i dont think its necessary but w/e

Old 11-23-2005, 05:08 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
maybe it's best for them to check everything anyway in case there's other damage.
G/L with repairs.
C.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel and Tire almost flew off the car