Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Volk SF-Winning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2005 | 10:58 PM
|
Widdle ya into kindling
Volk SF-Winning

Just pulled off my wheels to find the tire shop used some sort of spacers to get them to fit right.
Is this necessary?
If so which spacer should I go with?
Did you all have to use spacers?
The ones they used were rusted and a pain in the a$$ to get off.

Old 12-09-2005 | 02:39 AM
spacers are usually used just to push out the wheel more....like if you need more space to clear a bbk or if the offsets were wrong....just my thoughts

Old 12-09-2005 | 03:34 AM
You shouldnt need spaceers with Volks... IMO... never heard of anyone needing spacers for volks... i havent gotten mine yet.. buy yea sure hope soon

Old 12-09-2005 | 01:38 PM
|
Widdle ya into kindling
Originally Posted by CarFanatic56
spacers are usually used just to push out the wheel more....like if you need more space to clear a bbk or if the offsets were wrong....just my thoughts
These looked like hub spacers. Like the wheel was too wide for the hub, therefore, a spacer had to be used.
Originally Posted by DaVeeD
You shouldnt need spaceers with Volks... IMO... never heard of anyone needing spacers for volks... i havent gotten mine yet.. buy yea sure hope soon
I guess when I put them back on this spring, I will try to do so without spacers. They were indeed on the car and Infiniti did not remove them when they worked on the rear axle.

Anyone with Volks out here tell me why the spacers were used?

Old 12-09-2005 | 01:40 PM
Im suprsied noone has posted... theres about 100000000 g35drivers with volks LoL

Old 12-09-2005 | 03:20 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
well, i've been through grips of Volks and have never used a spacer of any sort as described by you. please post up pics, if at all possible. i'm torn trying to find out what you're talking about. you mention they were rusted...that could be a wheel spacer that brings the wheels away from the hub to clear for BBK. does the "spacer" you're talking about have a bolt pattern/holes in them? or, are they just a round circle with no holes in them (hub rings)?

all of the Volk wheels i've had never needed spacers because i've opted for the correct offset/tire size choice. i was going to add spacers to my current Volk setup to bring the rims out even more (i'm running 9.5/10.5"s), but i've lost love for my G.

Old 12-10-2005 | 05:10 AM
lost your love for the G? How could you???

Old 12-10-2005 | 02:20 PM
|
Widdle ya into kindling

I would say hub centric rings are what they used, but I am not sure why. If I don't need them, I will not worry about it. If I do, I want something that won't rust to the hub.

Old 12-10-2005 | 07:10 PM
You will need the hubcentric rings. I assume wheel manufacturers go this route instead of making the wheels a perfect fit because they can use the centers for various manufacturers (just a guess). The reason is to keep the wheel perfectly centered around the hub. I am uncertain about the necassity for them on the rears (I still used em on mine), but for the front, they are a must unless you like alot of vibration once you go over 50MPH.

Hubcentric rings are usually made from either plastic or aluminum/metal. Metal rings have a tendency to rust and attache to either wheel or hub. Plastic seems to be a lil better but I don't think they are as durable. I actually just swapped my wheels for the winter a few hours ago and I idn't have too much trouble getting them off. I think in the spring when I re-install, I will hit the hub with a wire brush and a lil sandpaper to make it smooth and maybe some anti-seize so it will make it easier to take off.

Old 12-12-2005 | 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by sen_jen
but i've lost love for my G.
what's wrong? did you two have a fight? i tink you guys should work it out. you look great together. haha... j/p. you should do it mang. i spaced the rear and i jus gotta space the front.

Old 12-12-2005 | 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by realgone

I would say hub centric rings are what they used, but I am not sure why. If I don't need them, I will not worry about it. If I do, I want something that won't rust to the hub.
you need the rings for the volks, not for your stock rims....mine as well were rusted on and took some WD40 to get them off......save them.

Old 12-12-2005 | 05:05 PM
Meatshake Enterprise
Originally Posted by beangrower
what's wrong? did you two have a fight? i tink you guys should work it out. you look great together. haha... j/p. you should do it mang. i spaced the rear and i jus gotta space the front.
haha, funny guy eh? !!

yeah, i wanted to space them before.

you need the hub rings if your wheel doesn't balance properly on the hub. it creates a snug/tight fit to keep it from vibrating. it's not necessary if this is not a problem for you.