Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Good suspension mods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 03:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good suspension mods?

I know this may have been asked but what is a good suspension mod for the sedan with the sports package to make the car handle better? I look at past post but could not find a good answer.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Good suspension mods?

I did something to my 6mt sedan with the sport suspension to improve it. I'm running 350Z springs and struts on my car now. Yes they really do kick the car's suspension performance up to a whole new level, performance is dramatically better. But the ride quality that come's along to, really isn't something that I think they typical sedan buyer would tollerate,.......at ALL! . I love the setup cause it gives the performance I wanted, but long drives (more than a hour) make you have notions about pulling the Z setup out as soon as you get home. Below is my review of them, explaining how they out perform the stock sport suspension

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...age=&view=&sb=

A better setup I think, for allot more money of course, would be the Tein coilovers at around $1600.(JIC offers a more aggresive less streetable setup for around $2k) They should deliver same if not better performance gains, with adjustability to dial out the harshness. Also one could wait for adjustable Koni sport struts to come out this fall and match them to Ground control coilovers. That would give you a excellent sytem at a much lower price point $950 or so. I'm going to get the Koni's and match them to the Z springs and see what happens, ride quality wise. Then I'll probely get the ground controls so I can try some stiffer springs.

I'm 99% certain that any 350Z sway bar will work on the sedan. I have ordered a set of Cusco bar's and they will be here on tuesday 8/5, that's how certain I am that they fit. I'll be doing a post on driving impressions after the install. And if for some reason if they don't fit, I'll report as to why.

BTW, based on how you worded your post, I do not view just installing springs only, as a valid answer to what you want.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts

Old 08-03-2003, 05:26 PM

Cool so would you prefer the 350Z swaybar or the Nismo one?

Old 08-03-2003, 06:32 PM

Gsedan35,

I would like to get new sway bars for my sedan. I just don't understand why nismo or stillen or any other manufacturer would not state that the sway bars fit both the sedan and coupe if they where the same. Its not like they don't know the design of both of them. I know you measured them and all and came up with the same specs but what gives ?

Old 08-03-2003, 07:21 PM

They likely don't view the sedan market as hot enough to make getting a sedan into thier shop a priority. Following sedan catback exhaust developement at borla, they seam to of had a problem getting a sedan for developement testing, either that or their not motivated real hard. We have the same exact situation when it comes to the camber correction kit's. Every single one of them will fit the sedan, but none of them list the kits as such, least I've never seen one that say's it's for the sedan also. But ultimately, next wed or thursday, we will know what the real deal is, and I do plan on posting pics.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts

Old 08-03-2003, 07:42 PM

deadmanincbh (Addict)
08/03/03 02:26 PM

Cool so would you prefer the 350Z swaybar or the Nismo one?

Stock 350Z bars are the same size as my oem bars, frankly I think their the same identical parts. 2003 vs 2003.5 non sport sedans might, just might have thinner stock sway bars.

Well here's my spin. In the absense of factual specs on the nismo bars where the only data I have is from a fellow that got DIFFERENT measurements on the stock bars than I did. And of those measurements the front nismo bar is 1mm thicker,....but hollow core construtction vs the Cusco's 1mm smaller solid bar construction. I'll go out on a limb and say it's either a wash as far as which is stiffer or the advantage goes to the solid cusco front bar. So, I'll let the one with the lower price win, in this case the Cusco's were only $395 from Gruppe-s.com I would actually rather have a bar setup that did not have as much of a greater rear bar stiffness increase vs front. I'd rather have the EVO350 bars. I do NOT have all that much understeer to banish, that's why. What I'm going to do is test the Cusco's and if the rear stiffness they offer is to great, I'll just order the rear EVO bar and adjust it to where I want.

Since it's on topic, here's a list of specs for sway bars, I've posted it before. But it has a update on the eibach bars.

Nismo:
front- *36mm (hollow core design, like the stock bar)
rear- *22mm

*However the this same person got different measurement's than I got
when I used a dial caliper on the stock bars. So I have to question the
accuracy of the above measurements. But their all I could find.

Cusco sway bar
35mm front (solid, not hollow)
22mm rear
Front sway bar has two settings of 20% and 37% stiffer then stock
Rear sway bar is 73% stiffer then stock.
$395 shipped (limited time offer)

Stillen 5-way adjustable bars
35mm front 22mm rear (converting from 1 3/8" & 7/8")
Adjustment range 7% to 70% (unknown if both front and rear bars
have the same full 7% to 70% range)
$479

Mines Sway bars
Front 20% stiffer rear 30% stiffer
$699.00(OUCH!)

Eibach specs from Eibach.com 34mm front 22mm rear
Front bar may be dual adjustable, rear bar is dual adjustable
$269 from www.tirerack.com should now be in stock.

350EVO Sway bars 3-way adjustable
32mm front and 23mm rear.
$545 shipped
Front bar
middle adjustment 11% stiffer
stiff adjustment 33% stiffer

Rear bar
middle adjustment 25% stiffer
stiff adjustment 53% stiffer

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts

Old 08-03-2003, 11:35 PM

So does that mean the sway bars listed in Grupppe-S.com for 350Z for G35 coupe would fir the sedan?

I am trying to find sway bars and struct bars for my sedan everywhere but I have no luck yet.

Old 08-04-2003, 12:38 AM

Renesis ()
08/03/03 08:35 PM

So does that mean the sway bars listed in Grupppe-S.com for 350Z for G35 coupe would fir the sedan?

I am trying to find sway bars and struct bars for my sedan everywhere but I have no luck
__________________________________________________ _

Yes.

Just like I said, I doubt any of the manufactuer's have lifted a finger to bring a sedan in their shop to fit them on a sedan. And until they've done so, their not going to say they can. Certainly as a group Z owners are allot more likely to invest in performance parts vs sedan owners. I think their efforts goes where they see the dollars. But thankfully the platform shairing thing is our savior. After a whole lot of research, I have found nothing that is beyond opinion's to make be believe the bars are not 100% interchangeable onto the sedan. I am 99% certain of it. But for that 1% of doubt, just wait a few days and we will see if they fit on my sedan or not. My Cusco bar's arrive tuesday late. BTW, mike at Gruppe-S aggreed that they will fit.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts

Old 08-04-2003, 02:59 AM

So your saying the GrupppeS is the best for the sedan?

Old 08-04-2003, 10:36 AM

Well Gruppe-S is the store that happened to go to the price point on the Cusco bars where they went low enough to get me off the sideline's and actually make the purchase I've been dwelling on for some time. At $395 shipped, they have the lowest price on the Cusco bar set anywhere. Which bar set and where is up to you, that's why I posted the bar specs. If I had patience to wait a month, I'd be buying the EVO350 bars instead direct from EVO350 instead. As I "might" need that bars rear adjustability. But in reviewing the Cusco install's on Z's, I have reason to think I might be worring for nothing, hence the reason for not waiting and taking the savings.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts

Old 08-04-2003, 02:47 PM

I e-mailed BC sports that is the authroized Canadian dealer for Cusco parts, they told me that they can get Cusco struct bars for the sedan for $319. Do you guys think its worth it?

Old 08-04-2003, 10:46 PM

Gsedan35,

After a few phone calls today To eibach and stillen. I to would say 99.9 % sure that the sway bars will fit our sedans. I asked eibach why the swaybars they sell for the 350z are also not listed for the coupe since other companies such as nismo use the same ones for coupe and z. answer was that they have not tested and approved ones for the sedan or coupe and that since they have different suspensions that the sway bars have to be tuned to how much stiffness is appropriate. Also mentioned that since they are thicker they just might touch the exhaust. Stillen basically said the same thing. So it probably just boiles down to liability reasons since they where not actually tested and tuned to each specific car. Also asked eibach then when they made the bars for the z didn't they tune the sway bars for the stock suspension then how is it ok to use them with there pro-kits installed since that would then change the tune of the suspension... answer was they made them to work with both the stock set-up and prokit.
So basically.....Gsedan35 has nailed this down right on the head. Also the fact that u have the z suspension it should work perfect.

Old 08-05-2003, 02:37 AM

Ok I would most likely go with the nismo sway and struct bar unless there is better ones out there for cheaper.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:46 PM

You can't use a strut bar on the G unless you get really creative in duplicating the Z's exclusive factory mounting system. I plan on doing that, but I've got my work cut out for me. Just examine the special mounting system the Z has and you'll understand.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts

Old 08-06-2003, 12:37 AM

I'd like to know what the stock measurements are for the sway bars on the G35 sedan, coupe, and 350z please. If the respective performance/areo/track packages makes any difference please fill us in on those as well. Great thread and hope to hear the results ASAP before my next track date. Thanks!!

ps. Are both bars really necessary or can I buy one over the other. FWD cars usually get the rear, so does that mean we should spend our money on the front sway bar to correct over and understeer?

It's still a G thang!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good suspension mods?