Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Good suspension mods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 01:42 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Good suspension mods?

The 350Z and G35 sedan have stock sway bar diameters of 33mm front and 20mm rear, with the front bar being hollow of course. No package on the Z gives it different bar sizes. I fully believe the coupe will be the same and in all trim levels, one of these day's I'll visit the dealer and climb under a coupe with my dial caliper and verify. One issue is outstanding on bar demension's. And that is the non sport sedan. Their is a chance that pre 2003.5 non sports have thinnner bars, more likely thinner in the front.

I want less body roll, so installing both bars are what I want. If someone wasn't out to reduce the body roll and wanted to influence handling behavior, they'd do just one bar. The FWD thing would be a perfect example of that. But with carefull tuning, one could lesson body roll and influence handling by getting a bar set that taylor's it's stiffness increases where you feel you need it most. Doing the math on the Cusco set, I'm reducing body roll and stiffening the rear roll stiffness 43% over the stock bars. With the EVO350 bars you have about the same reduction of body roll, but you could adjust the rear bar to not shift roll stiffness rearward as much as the Cusco's. It's a open question to me if I need that 43%, I'd rather have it lower, we'll see I guess.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts

Old 08-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh ok coo. From what I gathered correct me if I am wrong but the Nismo and Cusco bars are the same? What exactly is a tower bar is that the bar over the engine, pardon my ignorance on this topic.

Old 08-06-2003, 02:13 PM

OK
I got a 2003.5 non-sport
After what you said about non-sport, I am a bit worried now

Old 08-06-2003, 03:33 PM

If I understand you correctly, you want to stiffen the front swaybar more that the rear swaybar.

If this assumption is correct, what brought you to this conclusion?

I definitely want to correct my Coupe (5AT) handling characteristics. The front end dives/rolls too much under hard cornering. In fact, the front roll is sometimes so bad that I can feel the change in the front suspension geometry just before the wheels/tires turn in and the "G" does a major "oversteer" on me. I'm talking about a true "oversteer", not the rear end getting loose (with 275/40 Michelins on the rear, they better not get loose).

I've definitely got to get the front end under control. I'd like to buy just the front Stillen bar, because of the three mount points, to see if that gives me what I want. If that's not enough, add a modest rate rear swaybar. If that's not enough, add a coilover set that doesn't lower my "G" at all (if such a thing exists) or at least lowers it no more than 3/4".

Keep us posted as to your investigation into the swaybars.

Let us know about your perceptions of handling vs rolling, etc...

Good luck.

Old 08-06-2003, 05:02 PM

Acutally it is not really oversteer. In fact it is understeer. People often call this "Push under", it has a tendency to push forward before entering the turn which gives some kind of understeer when you enter the corner.

Old 08-06-2003, 10:05 PM

Ok, that is probably a better description. When I turn the wheel, the car is still "pushing" in a straight line. Then the front outside corner drops in response to the tires overcoming the forward inertia. This causes the suspension to exaggerate the wheel's "turn in" resulting an abrupt change of direction.

This only happens if:

1) I brake too far into the corner. This drops the outside front corner setting the "G" up for the "push under".

2) I'm at the right speed for the corner, I.E. the "G" is sitting back on her heels, but the corner has an abrupt decrease in its radius. This requires a quick increase in steering angle which causes the "push" of the car to again, drop the front outside corner.

Situation # 1 is my fault. I should be off the brake and on the accelerator before the apex in order to power my way out of the corner.

Situation # 2 is also my fault but I'm not sure how to correct this without backing off of the throttle before the change in radius (which still drops the nose). Or, I get her a stiffer front swaybar and/or lower the "G" with springs or coilovers in order to get her to stop nose diving and rolling.

Let us know how it goes with the Cusco sways.

Also let us know if in fact the Cuscos come with all necessary bushings, straps and other hardware. There have been posts that the Nismos come complete but the Cuscos do not.

Also, I googled but I couldn't find any reference to EVO350 on the net.

Where do I go to find out who, what, where and how much?

Old 08-07-2003, 03:33 AM

What I am looking for is a little less roll and better handling onver the sport package.