Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Big difference between All Season tires and max performance summer tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big difference between All Season tires and max performance summer tires?

Hi,

I've searched the forums and came to the conclusion that for my next set of tires I'd go with the goodyear Eagle DS-G3's or the all season Pirelli PZero M+S.

The only thing holding me from putting an order on tire rack is whether there's a huge difference in performance of these two tires. I do want a well performing tire on the dry but low tire noise. I've had the stock michelin PS for a good 30K miles over the course of a year and half, and they are mighty loud.

So is there really a noticeable difference between the summer goodyears and the All season pirelli's? I have a set of dunlop winter sports for the snow, so the tire's performance, or lack of, in the cold is of no matter. I drive in a "spirited" manner, and roads I frequent on are twisty. any help would be awesome.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:04 AM
Definitely noticeable difference. Go with the goodyears. Personally I'd never get an all-season tire to use in warm weather.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure of the difference between those two tires exactly, but I'm pretty sure in general that a summer tire is going to perform better than an all season in warm dry conditions, sometimes even in the wet. The D3 is an amazing tire in the wet and really quiet. Besides, it sounds like you have a set of winter tires, go for the gold and get the max performance tires.

Old 12-19-2005, 01:32 PM
slz
I replaced the original Pilot Sports on my 2003 6MT Coupe with the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. I live in central Maryland (between DC and B'more). I didn't want to go to snow tires - we don't get that much snow here (he says as he knocks on wood). But I didn't want to keep driving on summer performance tires (lost control a couple of times in very light snow with the PS, fortunately without hitting anything). My goal was to get a high performance All Season tire that I could use year-around. I have been happy with the Pirellis so far (about 3 months). A few observations on the Pirellis relative to the PS:

-On a dry road the Pirellis feel about the same as the PS. This was the most important thing to me. I like the responsiveness of the car and the new tires didn't change that. (Note that I don't mean to say that the tires handle the same at "the limits" or give the same performance. I'm a spirited driver at times, but seldom push the car to the limit of tire adhesion).
-The PS were better on wet roads. I see more VDC reaction with the Pirellis on wet roads than I saw with the PS.
-You can drive the G on the slush we get on the roads here with the Pirellis. I was able to get to/from work (20 miles of backroads) without problem in the 2 light (but typical) storms we had so far this year.
-The Pirellis are much quieter at slow speeds, about the same noise level on the highway.
- The Pirellis are non-directional, so they can be swapped left-to-right without dismounting the tires from the wheels. Should help wear and noise in the longer run.

Steve

Old 12-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
depends on the temperature too. at around 45F summer tires dramatically
begin to loose grip unless you've been driving it pretty hard and the tires
are warmed up. a/s tires on the otherhand can handle much lower temps
so sometimes a/s tires can outperform even the high perf summer tires at
those lower temps.

so, i usually use a/s tires in the winter time and summer tires when
temps are averaging over 50F.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Pirelli makes PZero Nero tires which are max performance and they also make PZero Nero M+S which are ultra performance all season tires. Is one quieter than the other when it comes to road noise? What about ride comfort?