Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Lost Rim lock key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 08:38 PM
RBJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost Rim lock key

Hello guys,
I need your help. I had a flat tire today so I called up Infiniti emergency road assistance. They came after like an hour or so and then the guy who came to change the tire, asked me about the key to unlock the rim (i had driver side rear tire flat). I didnt know about this key until he asked me. So then I started looking for the key in the trunk, glovebox and all the possible places and couldnt find it. So he pumped up some air into the tire and I drove to nearby PEPBOYS. I turned my car in and then came back after like half an hour. When I came back, PEPBOYS also told me the same thing that they couldnt find the key and they tried universal key that they had but it didnt work either. So now I am helpless. I kept my car at PEPBOYS because once I reach home and then if something happens It would be more difficult.
Does anybody know that can I get another key for that lock ? Or can the Infiniti Dealer help me in this ??

Please help me guys..

Old 03-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Try the ghetto style.

Find a sock that just fits over the lug lock. A better socket would be one with 16-32 tooth. Wrap red shop towel around the lug, like you're putting on a condom. You may have to double or triple up, depending on how the socket fits. Bang the sock over the lug. With the shop towel, it should be a tight fit. slight damage to the lug (exterior scrapes), but no big deal. You'll have to replace all 4 if you can't find the key.

Once its on tight, use a socket wrench and unscrew like you would any lug. If it twists, more shop towel padding or a tighter socket.

This worked for me. Good luck.
Originally Posted by RBJ
Hello guys,
I need your help. I had a flat tire today so I called up Infiniti emergency road assistance. They came after like an hour or so and then the guy who came to change the tire, asked me about the key to unlock the rim (i had driver side rear tire flat). I didnt know about this key until he asked me. So then I started looking for the key in the trunk, glovebox and all the possible places and couldnt find it. So he pumped up some air into the tire and I drove to nearby PEPBOYS. I turned my car in and then came back after like half an hour. When I came back, PEPBOYS also told me the same thing that they couldnt find the key and they tried universal key that they had but it didnt work either. So now I am helpless. I kept my car at PEPBOYS because once I reach home and then if something happens It would be more difficult.
Does anybody know that can I get another key for that lock ? Or can the Infiniti Dealer help me in this ??

Please help me guys..

Old 03-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RBJ
Hello guys,

Please help me guys..
when you bought the car you should have gotten a serial # for the lock. most are mcgard. contact them, give them the serial # and they will send you a new one

Old 03-17-2006, 01:38 AM
THE BATMOBILE
Originally Posted by Sidewy8
Try the ghetto style.

Find a sock that just fits over the lug lock. A better socket would be one with 16-32 tooth. Wrap red shop towel around the lug, like you're putting on a condom. You may have to double or triple up, depending on how the socket fits. Bang the sock over the lug. With the shop towel, it should be a tight fit. slight damage to the lug (exterior scrapes), but no big deal. You'll have to replace all 4 if you can't find the key.

Once its on tight, use a socket wrench and unscrew like you would any lug. If it twists, more shop towel padding or a tighter socket.

This worked for me. Good luck.

exactly......its your only option

Old 03-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Did you check under the spare? That's where my dealer put mine when I bought the car.