Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

S03's or GS-D3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S03's or GS-D3

S03's have a treadwear of 220 and GS-D3's have a treadwear of 280. i'm going to get 245/45/18. i have a 05 6mt sedan. my stock tires have 10k miles on them and i only have 2-3k more miles left. i want something that will last probably 15-20k miles. i want the BETTER tire out of the two. i dont really care for wet/snow cause it rarely rains and it never snows. need really good handling tires. both were rated great on tirerack. i read the car and driver report of the 12 tires test. it still hasn't convinced me to get the GS-D3's. people have posted that the S0'3s were a great tire and some have posted that its such a bad tire. just reply 1 for S0'3's and 2 for GS-D3's.i would apprecaite any help. Thank You.

Old 03-17-2006, 05:50 AM
I liked my GS-D3s on my last car. I haven't tried the SO3s. I'm probably not much help.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Here an uneducated opinion:

GS-D3 will most probably last longer if you don't go to the track and will melt away much faster on the track. Grip will be better for the SO-3 at any given temperature (from very cold to very hot).

I haven't had the chance to try those on the track but that's were I am at in my research. I too hesitate between the two of them (and the Pilot Sport 2).

Frank

Old 03-17-2006, 11:38 AM
As luck would have it....
I have tried both tires but not on the G. I had a Jetta GLI and they came with the GS-D3. I was really surprised by this tire. I have to admit that they were not even on my list of tires that I would consider buying but since they were on the car I figured I'l give them a try. They handled really well. Not quite as sticky as the SO3 but more predictable when you push them to the limit. Meaning that the car would slowly begin to understeer allowing you to correct accordingly. The SO3 on the other hand were sooooo sticky. BUT as you got to the limits of the tire (which I felt was more then the GS-D3) they would begin to understeer more quickly giving you less time to correct.

Now for the the things I didn't think about. The GS-D3 is a pretty quiet tire. You can hear the difference right away between the two. One of the factors that give the SO3 better handling is a STIFF sidewall BUT they also ride harder. Not quite as smooth as the GS-D3 around town. It's not a really big factor if you're more concerned about performance. I also have a little bit of trouble with the GS-D3 with the sidewalls bubbling. If you have rough roads in your area you will need to run more pressure in them. I had to replace 2 because of that problem. Keep in mind that they were BIG potholes that I hit going at a decent speed that caused the sidewalls to bubble. (thats what the tire dealer told me) I never had that problem with the SO3.

To me the GS-D3 is a better all around tire but I went with the SO3 because I was more concerned with performance. Having said that, I think my next set of tires will be Michelin PS2s. My friend just swaped his SO3s for PS2s and said "you can have your cake and eat it too". They grip like the SO3 but are more predictable when driving at the limit, they're more quiet, and they don't ride as hard as the SO3. But they're one of the most expensive tires you can buy. BAD since they wear out pretty quick and are asymetrical so you can't rotate them left to right and right to left to even out the camber wear.

sorry for the long reply. but i hope it helps.
B

Old 03-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i use S03's on this car and imho would be a better choice than the
GS-D3 based on the steering ratio and overall suspension design.

GS-D3's have softer sidewalls so cars with nimble response is
more appropriate for that tire to soften it up. I use GS-D3's on my
cooper-s.

both tires are my favorites.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:39 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
first of all, you cant compare the treadwear rating between different brands. They have no significance to eachother whatsoever. I've never had the GS-D3's but they get good reviews. I have the S0-3's and love every bit of them except for the fact that if i ended up keeping them (getting new wheels so i need new tiers) i'd only get about 15K miles out of them (very agressive daily driving)
-GP-

Old 03-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Just FYI, the GS-D3 came out on top in the latest C&D tire comparo. You should still be able to find the article on their site. Take the information for what it's worth. I have no personal experience with either model.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Dont go with the GS-D3

Forget what the manufacturer says about tread wear. On my coupe I got about 15K for both the original Pilots and the GS-D3s. The performance was almost identical but the pilots were WAY quieter and gave a better ride. I cant get over how LOUD the GS-D3s are! I have a Jeep with mud tires that sounds similar. The tread design is great for wet conditions but suck for a quiet ride. If you arent concerned with rain I would not consider the GS-D3s. I need to replace my GSs now and think I might try the new Pilot design. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:55 PM
i have ths GSs on my sedan now. put them on last season. considerably quieter than the s03s, and I'm looking forward to the treadlife. my fronts are 245 the rears are 275

Old 03-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by g356spd06
S03's have a treadwear of 220 and GS-D3's have a treadwear of 280. i'm going to get 245/45/18. i have a 05 6mt sedan. my stock tires have 10k miles on them and i only have 2-3k more miles left. i want something that will last probably 15-20k miles. i want the BETTER tire out of the two. i dont really care for wet/snow cause it rarely rains and it never snows. need really good handling tires. both were rated great on tirerack. i read the car and driver report of the 12 tires test. it still hasn't convinced me to get the GS-D3's. people have posted that the S0'3s were a great tire and some have posted that its such a bad tire. just reply 1 for S0'3's and 2 for GS-D3's.i would apprecaite any help. Thank You.
Not to hijack this thread, but I've been considering similar tire choices. I've been looking intently at the F1 GS-D3s. I've heard great reviews, high rankings in C&D and Tirerack, and better noise ratings than the S03 and the Pilot Sports. Reading the review above from a current GS-D3 owner is starting to change my mind and I did hear that the GS-D3s have softer sidewalls which reduce steering response.

FYI, the S03s are being replaced with the new RE050As which is the next gen tire to compete against the GS-D3 and PS2. I also wanted to ask if anyone has had experience with the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. It's currently rated #1 in Tirerack and prices are much lower than the GS-D3, RE050A, and PS2. They also have a $50 mail-in rebate special right now. Any thoughts on this tire choice for the G?

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
The RE050As are original equipment on the '06 6MT Coupe. The ranked somewhere around 11th on that C&D comparo.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:45 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
I had both on my G and I preferred the GS-D3's

Old 03-17-2006, 05:56 PM
THE BATMOBILE
GS-D3's

S03's are wayyy too noisy

Old 03-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ no, the GS-D3's are just about as noisy. i know, i have them. they get pretty loud after about 65% left.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by bikesbikes
To me the GS-D3 is a better all around tire but I went with the SO3 because I was more concerned with performance. Having said that, I think my next set of tires will be Michelin PS2s. My friend just swaped his SO3s for PS2s and said "you can have your cake and eat it too". They grip like the SO3 but are more predictable when driving at the limit, they're more quiet, and they don't ride as hard as the SO3. But they're one of the most expensive tires you can buy. BAD since they wear out pretty quick and are asymetrical so you can't rotate them left to right and right to left to even out the camber wear.
Actually, even though the PS2s are asymmetrical tires, they are not directional, so they can be rotated from side to side. The tires have an "outside" marking on the sidewall, but no directional arrow, and can spin in either direction.

This is in contrast to the original Pilot Sports, which were directional, but not asymmetrical.

Confused yet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S03's or GS-D3