Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Problem with VDC or new rear tires?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 10:33 AM
CtK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with VDC or new rear tires?!

I just got new rear tires on my car BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 and an alignment from Tire Kingdom. Now everytime I get on a turnpike off ramp (its not even that sharp of a turn, its like a circle) goin about 40-45mph my right front wheel brakes and the SLIP light comes on. This never happen b4 with my old rear stock tires even when they didnt have any more tread left.

EDIT: also my steering wheel is not centered it goes a little to the left.

is this happening cause i have diff front and rear tires?? or cause of the alignment??

please help

thanks

Last edited by CtK; 03-23-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i have the same problem... did you ever figure out what was wrong with yours?

Old 06-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Did you go with the oem size tires?

Old 06-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I did

Old 06-20-2006, 02:36 PM
G35 VDC Slipping with new Cooper Zeon 2xs on rear

I've got the same situation. (2004 G35 coupe manual) At 22k miles the original Michelin Pilot Sports were worn out in the back, and the fronts still had 7/10ths left. Since the Michelin replacements would've cost $600 for the two rears vs. $330 for the Cooper Zeon 2XS's, I opted for the Coopers.

Coming home from the tire place the Slip light came on doing 35 MPH around a very shallow right hand turn! I took it back to the tire place the next day, and they checked everything... looked OK - I asked about tire diameters (YES I put on the standard 245/45/R18's) here's what they looked up in their tire size charts:

Michelin Pilot Sports===Cooper Zeon 2XS===Difference===(%)
=====26.8"============26.62==========-0.18====0.68%

Since the VDC has to compare the speeds of the various tires, I think this difference in diameters may be the problem.

I tried calling 3 different Infiniti Service Centers and none knew anything about the problem. Does anyone have a number for some technical support person who knows what the problem is and how to fix it? I assume the problem may be fixed by changing some settings in the VDC computer system.

I've driven over 900 miles on these tires and I STILL get slippage on even relatively slow (35 MPH) turns (especially right handers). I now drive with the VDC OFF, but it STILL puts on the right front brake on moderately fast right hand turns (50 MPH).

HELP!

Peter

Old 06-20-2006, 02:50 PM
CtK
i finally changed my front tires to the same as my rear and no more probs

Old 06-21-2006, 10:32 AM
damn, i'm kind of worried now, I went plus size up on my 19s, haven't installed them yet but will be doing so in the next few days. Why is it people don't have this problem when they go from 18s to 19s and the overall diameter changes?

Old 06-28-2006, 02:01 AM
Banned
any update on the situation?

Old 06-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Update on Cooper Zeon 2xs VDC Slipping

Took the car into a "local" Infiniti dealer and left it. They said the problem was caused by running too high of an air pressure in the tires. They lowered the pressure, did some other fuel line work and gave me the car. I didn't have time to suggest they were wrong as I was headed out of town on a trip.

Sure enough, while doing 65 around a "55" MPH downhill right handed turn, the VDC kicked in putting on the right front brake. Not good - especially with a fully loaded logging truck right next to you. Specifically, the VDC kicks in on right handed turns - ESPECIALLY when going downhill. Even with the VDC disengaged, it will put on the right front brake - but at a higher speed.

As far as their "solution" of lowering the air pressure... when I had about 15k miles on my OEM Michelin Pilot Sports, my local (non Infiniti) shop suggested I run them at a higher pressure because the tires were wearing on the edges. So I upped the pressure to 50 psi, and ran that way for ~7k miles - NEVER had a VDC problem. So, when Infiniti said the problem was tire pressure, I had a feeling they were all wet.

They're scheduling me for another visit next week - hopefully they can find a place to cause the inappropriate braking (as the dealership is in the flats - I live in the hills an hour away). I'll post another update after that visit.

Peter

Old 06-29-2006, 02:28 AM
Banned
I supose im going to buy 4x bfg tdw...s then.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:08 AM
I am experiencing the same problem. I just had my rear OEM tires replaced at 27k w/ Eagle F1 GS-D3s (245/45/18) last week. The OEM fronts had plenty of tread left for another 5k miles or so. Now when I take turns the G used to handle w/ ease the VDC kicks in. Also at highway speeds the handling does not seem as tight as it used to. Is this b/c the difference in tire tread patterns? New rears only w/ larger diameter due to tread not being worn down yet?

Just want to see if anyone has experienced the same problem & saw it go away once they changed both fronts & rears to Eagle F1s. Want to make sure this will solve the issue before I drop more $$$ on a new set of tires for the front. Also the Eagle F1s do not come in 225/45 so I was targeting 245/40. This should work correct b/c the outer diameters are approx the same?

Old 08-16-2006, 10:51 AM
my take on the problem.....

Worn front tires = less O.D.
New rear tires (More than oem OD) = more OD

If Less OD (front) + More OD (rear) => 3% = Problem with VDC....

I know that is an overly simplistic qualification..... but it should help.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:08 PM
this happens to me too...i put new pilot sports in the rear and am still riding on the pilot sports that came with the g...i just turn the vdc off on certain on ramps...i was thinking maybe its because the fronts are worn or maybe its because of the vdc...the vdc would brake my left front wheel when its completely unnecessary...

Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 AM
Finally, an Infiniti Service Advisor that knows about it!

When I took my 2004 6MT Coupe in to the Infiniti dealer in Elk Grove for the 30k mile service, the Service Advisor said he'd heard of the problem (probably read my ancient emails!) He told me the VDC came on (especially on Right handed turns) due to the size differences between the front and rear. According to him the VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) could NOT be reprogrammed or changed to account for slight differences in tire sizes.

F'ng Infiniti - the ONLY tire I've found that has the same sizes (225/45/18's and 245/45/18's) as the Michelin Pilot Sports (25.8" diameter fronts, 26.8" diameter rears) is the F'ng Michelin Pilot Sports!!!! Bridgstones, Avon, Continental, Cooper, Falken, Yokohama, Goodyears, Pirellis, Sumitomos... NONE repeat NONE have the same diameter tires as the OEM tires!

Infiniti engineers involved should be shot!

So, I guess I'll pay DOUBLE the price and get the ****ty Michelins. ****ing bastards.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:05 AM
CtK
Originally Posted by Brain_in_Use
When I took my 2004 6MT Coupe in to the Infiniti dealer in Elk Grove for the 30k mile service, the Service Advisor said he'd heard of the problem (probably read my ancient emails!) He told me the VDC came on (especially on Right handed turns) due to the size differences between the front and rear. According to him the VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) could NOT be reprogrammed or changed to account for slight differences in tire sizes.

F'ng Infiniti - the ONLY tire I've found that has the same sizes (225/45/18's and 245/45/18's) as the Michelin Pilot Sports (25.8" diameter fronts, 26.8" diameter rears) is the F'ng Michelin Pilot Sports!!!! Bridgstones, Avon, Continental, Cooper, Falken, Yokohama, Goodyears, Pirellis, Sumitomos... NONE repeat NONE have the same diameter tires as the OEM tires!

Infiniti engineers involved should be shot!

So, I guess I'll pay DOUBLE the price and get the ****ty Michelins. ****ing bastards.

you dont have to replace all your tires. Once I replaced my front tires to match the same one i have in the rear. The problem went away.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Problem with VDC or new rear tires?!