Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Black Spots on Rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 07:31 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the Dealer wash caused the problem they should pay to fix it or replace the wheel. They should know better.

I seem to remember a TSB or some kind of warning put out by Infiniti about overspray from tire dressing marking-up the wheels and also about not using certain cleaning products on the wheels.

I had a problem with the paint marking/wearing off of my wheels (18's) and the Dealer replaced them.....but they did it by giving me the wheels off of a new coupe and then sending my old wheels out to their chromer as cores for a chrome order they had on a new car. Cool huh?

Old 04-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsg
If the Dealer wash caused the problem they should pay to fix it or replace the wheel. They should know better.

I seem to remember a TSB or some kind of warning put out by Infiniti about overspray from tire dressing marking-up the wheels and also about not using certain cleaning products on the wheels.

I had a problem with the paint marking/wearing off of my wheels (18's) and the Dealer replaced them.....but they did it by giving me the wheels off of a new coupe and then sending my old wheels out to their chromer as cores for a chrome order they had on a new car. Cool huh?
In my situation, I can't prove it was the dealer wash/prep that damaged my wheels, but as the marks appeared the day after pickup, and I haven't washed with anything but good old-fashioned soap and water, I can only assume...The weird thing is that the damage has only shown up on one wheel- all the rest appear flawless (save the aforementioned front rotor peeling).

-Josh

Old 04-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by boste03
You guys are all right, i have an 06 coupe with 19" oem wheels and mine have these weird dark blemishes in the wheels and my car only has a 1000 miles on it. I work for a Nissan dealer and i am going to make a call to a friend who works at National(Nissan Headquarters) to find out if Nissan is aware of this problem and what they are going to do to remedy the situation. I will keep you guys informed.
anybody find out more about this? I have these dark spots too. Doesn't look like the ones in the pic, but i noticed less than a week after i got the car. I was washing the wheel, and i thought it was tar or road grime or what not, but after careful inspection, the blemishes are actually underneath the clear coat!!! Wassup with that?! If anyone has more on this, please post.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by joshknot
In my situation, I can't prove it was the dealer wash/prep that damaged my wheels, but as the marks appeared the day after pickup, and I haven't washed with anything but good old-fashioned soap and water, I can only assume...The weird thing is that the damage has only shown up on one wheel- all the rest appear flawless (save the aforementioned front rotor peeling).

-Josh
Take it to the dealer's Service manager and address it with them. Dont tell them you took it anywhere else to be washed. They will ask if you used anything on your wheels and be honest and say no. It will not be an easy task but you can get it done. I had to take it all the way to the VP but I got it done...

Old 04-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Chi_g35
Take it to the dealer's Service manager and address it with them. Dont tell them you took it anywhere else to be washed. They will ask if you used anything on your wheels and be honest and say no. It will not be an easy task but you can get it done. I had to take it all the way to the VP but I got it done...
That gives me a bit of confidence...*here's hoping* Guess we'll find out my fate come Friday.

-Josh

Old 04-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by WYSIWYG
anybody find out more about this? I have these dark spots too. Doesn't look like the ones in the pic, but i noticed less than a week after i got the car. I was washing the wheel, and i thought it was tar or road grime or what not, but after careful inspection, the blemishes are actually underneath the clear coat!!! Wassup with that?! If anyone has more on this, please post.
here are my pics

Sorry for the bad pics my cell phone camera sucks

Attached Thumbnails Black Spots on Rims-rim.jpg   Black Spots on Rims-rim2.jpg  
Old 04-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by joshknot
That gives me a bit of confidence...*here's hoping* Guess we'll find out my fate come Friday.

-Josh
This is not be an easy task... The best thing you can do is go online and file I grievance claim with the www.BBB.org then call Infiniti Consumer Affairs and file a claim with them. They will fax the dealership a copy! I would advise you to list everyone's full name that you spoke to. Once reported they willbe more willing to discuss this issue because now it documented. But good luck

Old 04-24-2006, 09:07 PM
This is not be an easy task... The best thing you can do is go online and file I grievance claim with the www.BBB.org then call Infiniti Consumer Affairs and file a claim with them. They will fax the dealership a copy! I would advise you to list everyone's full name that you spoke to. Once reported they willbe more willing to discuss this issue because now it documented. But good luck
I'm going to give the dealer a shot at doing the right thing up-front, first. I'm hoping I don't need to escalate it- but it's nice to know the avenue I should go if they don't facilitate a solution.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:46 PM
'04.5 Black 6MT Coupe
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NeedaG
if you are talking about tiny black spots, it is probably brake dust specks under the clearcoat of the wheel. Use a clay bar and a little elbow grease. They will come out.
Not to hijack, but this will work on Volk Challenge?

Old 04-25-2006, 12:07 AM
THE BATMOBILE
^ i dont think so it might eat through the clear coat.........clarify with sen_jen

Old 04-25-2006, 01:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
here are my pics

Sorry for the bad pics my cell phone camera sucks
Wow, this is exactly how my wheels look. You can see the acid stain running down in the second picture. Anyway, I went to the dealer and talked to the Service Manager. He said Nissan is investigating this problem because it is occuring everywhere. He actually said that one of brand new '06, with less than 20 miles on it, has the exact same stain. A customer was going to buy the car but noticed the stain and didn't buy it.

He will get back to me in a week or so. Will keep you posted.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by culi
Wow, this is exactly how my wheels look. You can see the acid stain running down in the second picture. Anyway, I went to the dealer and talked to the Service Manager. He said Nissan is investigating this problem because it is occuring everywhere. He actually said that one of brand new '06, with less than 20 miles on it, has the exact same stain. A customer was going to buy the car but noticed the stain and didn't buy it.

He will get back to me in a week or so. Will keep you posted.
Thats great make sure you keep us posted. Its too late for me but at least others wont have to deal with the same situation.

Good Luck...

Old 04-25-2006, 12:47 PM
I documented the same thing a while back. Look at my wheels.
https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...69&postcount=5

Old 04-26-2006, 02:35 PM
same thing happened to me,it sucks im probably gonna get them repainted but im lookin for rims so i dk

Old 04-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone know how my situation turned out (with that black splatter-painted look). Had a great experience with my dealer- Dave Gomes (user DGomes on here), the service manager at Quirk Infiniti in Braintree, MA took one look at my wheel while I was in to pick up my splash-guards and said he'd never seen anything like it. He said it looks like something definitely had to have gotten on the wheel, but they'd be happy to get it refinished for me. I was amazed- I didn't even have to ask, he just offered.

So I'll be dropping the car off next week and taking a loaner overnight so the wheel can be refinished at their body-shop. All-in-all, I'm really impressed with the service I've gotten thus far, and they've really encouraged me to want to remain a customer from here on out (the free oil changes don't hurt, either). Anybody looking to buy or service in the Boston area, I suggest you check them out.

Anyhow- I'll be sure to post pictures of the wheel when it gets back, just for ****s and giggles.

-Josh

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black Spots on Rims