Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Mis-matched tires, what is YOUR experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Why are you running the same size all around, and narrower in the rear compared to stock? Doesn't the decreased stagger screw up the handling characteristics?

OUps.. my bad "typo"...I will edit my post in a few sec..

Old 07-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Stock wheels on '04 6MT coupe. Had stock pilots on front (18 rims and nearly 20k miles). Replaced rear with Direzza DZ101 (stock size). Just about any corner over 50mph and the VDC went crazy. Even on gentle corners that my wife's mini-van doesn't complain about. My impression was that the rear must be breaking loose. I finally said screw it and replaced the front tires with new Dunlops (same as rear) so that all 4 tires were new. Made a world of difference. The front pilots were fairly worn, but they still had plenty of stick and had more than enough tread to pass inspection (the rears wouldn't).

I really believe it has more to do with the difference in circumference (especially on the edges of the front tires from cornering). Both tires have more than ample stick that I don't think max performance vs high performance compounds would cause this. The VDC hasn't come on at all since going to the Dunlops on all 4 corners (same as with all 4 pilots). I tested this on various off ramps and windy roads that have remained common across tire sets.

While they are not quite as sticky as the Michelins, they are close enough. I've taken 20 mph corners at 45 mph that I took at 50 mph with the Michelins. They complain more, but they don't break loose.

For the slight performance decrease but significant price difference, I'm happy with the Dunlops.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Blue68
Stock wheels on '04 6MT coupe. Had stock pilots on front (18 rims and nearly 20k miles). Replaced rear with Direzza DZ101 (stock size). Just about any corner over 50mph and the VDC went crazy. Even on gentle corners that my wife's mini-van doesn't complain about. My impression was that the rear must be breaking loose. I finally said screw it and replaced the front tires with new Dunlops (same as rear) so that all 4 tires were new. Made a world of difference. The front pilots were fairly worn, but they still had plenty of stick and had more than enough tread to pass inspection (the rears wouldn't).

I really believe it has more to do with the difference in circumference (especially on the edges of the front tires from cornering). Both tires have more than ample stick that I don't think max performance vs high performance compounds would cause this. The VDC hasn't come on at all since going to the Dunlops on all 4 corners (same as with all 4 pilots). I tested this on various off ramps and windy roads that have remained common across tire sets.

While they are not quite as sticky as the Michelins, they are close enough. I've taken 20 mph corners at 45 mph that I took at 50 mph with the Michelins. They complain more, but they don't break loose.

For the slight performance decrease but significant price difference, I'm happy with the Dunlops.
That's really interesting,

Inside of me I REALLY WANTED the dunlop to work because it was more in my "price range". Problem is at the moment I felt the car with two of them in the back VS the 4 pilots I said screw that, these are worthless (I may have been wrong at that time but I didint really had any choice).

I really would like to test drive a coupe with 4 them...Did you felt any difference in"steerring response" VS the Michelin? let's say when changing lanes at 100 kph, does the car feel soft and slow or on rail and hard?

Old 07-10-2006, 10:44 AM
When my rears wear out before my fronts, I am planning on switching to the PS2, and I dont think it should be a problem with the RE050 on the front (oem 19s) but does anyone have experience with this combo?

Old 07-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Eric,
I've not noticed that the steering response appreciably less crisp than the Pilot Sport. I have noticed that the Dunlops are less impacted by road bumps. The Michelins were easily deflected in my opinion. Cruising at interstate speeds from 65 - 80 mph these are good tires handling rough roads as well as the suspension will allow. Travelling 80 in 65-70mph traffic doesn't cause anything to stand out lane change wise. But I try to do that smooth so not to startle other drivers.

Initially, my reaction was that they were crap tires. Turning off the VDC and forcing the rear out "seemed" easier, although it was in sections I'd never intentionally done the same with the Pilots. I've had these tires up to 120 MPH (all 4 corners were new) and they handled as well as the Pilots in a straight line and under hard braking from that speed. Adding the front tires has made me change my mind on these tires.

I still don't think they are as sticky as the PS2. That's not necessarily a negative. The car seems to 4 wheel drift (and tire noise supports this) a bit easier with these tires. But it's very controlled. No abrubt letting go.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
I was running Falken st115 245/35/19 in the front and Bridgestone RE50As 275/35/19 in the back a while ago. As oppose to my all-around Bridgestone S03 setup, the new one was MUCH smoother and quieter. Handling suffered a bit.. much more tire squeal. No major problems though I liked the setup alot with falken's low profile tire in the front and beefy potenzas in the back.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:51 PM
tomcatm,
I recently replaced my OEM RE050 19" rears with the same size PS2 and have not had any issues yet. I push the car on freeway onramps/offramps and have not triggered the VDC warning light yet. I still have the OEM RE050 19"'s on the front.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:06 PM
front stock Pilot (225/45/18)
rear Pirelli P Zero Nero (245/45/18)

I've had no problems whatsoever with this combination. They handle fine in dry weather and I've never seen the VDC light come on. Handles okay in the rain but need to be careful pulling out from stops and around turns. I drove in the snow a few times and it handled better than when the OEM Pilots were on the back but it was still a nail biter of a ride. Plan on switching to Avon M550 A/S all around before inspection in Dec.