Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrading my bose speaker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrading my bose speaker

hey, guys i am new here i just have few qeustions ask for help, i want to upgrade my bose speakers, the first choice is to buy the boston sx50 or the sx 60 and replace the front speaker, i am not sure the sound quality comparing the bose speakers( there is no point to buy them if no difference). any recommedation for speakers(good clarity)?the 2nd choice is just to buy a new tweeters and crossovers and install them with the factory bose system install (install them in the front door and rear door) what your guys optioin? thanks for reading

Old 12-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Check the FAQs. This is discussed in great detail.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There's a few threads out there.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Bose sound quality SUCKS.

But, if you're going to the trouble of installing a replacement, make sure it's very good. I am partial to Infinity Kappas, but your opinion may vary. Pretty much any speaker is going to be an improvement to the Bose, so long as you get an amp to provide adequate power.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:50 PM
i'd have to disagree ^... the problem with the bose system is the amp...it does a lot of funky eqing of frequencies that would still be present if you bought new speakers. For example, at low volume you may have decent bass output, but as the volume increases the eq turns down the bass so that when it's up all the way it sounds like doo doo.

this is just one example...but if you upgraded the speakers only, there would be a marginal difference, but negligible to the cost to do so.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:13 PM
thanks for your guys help. l try to add tweeters to the front bose speakers even the rear speakers.( orginal is 2-way component speaker, i try to get it to 3-way component, any opinion ?), but the thing is the crutchfield don't provide master sheet(instruction manual) for g35, i don't know how to do it without instruction, quite frustrated...

if i just add the amp and keeping the bose speaker, when i install the amp in the trunk, how do i connect the bose speaker to the aftermarket amp? do i just need to unplug the wires from the factory amp and then plug them back to the aftermarket amp without any modification of the wires? how about the use of dynamat ? should i go for the dynamat speaker kit or the door kit or both? i have difficulties to remove the door panels, this is my first time . does the bose system come with any kind of sound insulation materials ?
I don't want to go too much to upgrade the bose system, because first i have very tight badger, second is no garage for my car, i am in new york city, it is not safe for upgrading equipment, people steal yours
thanks for help and reading!!

Old 12-18-2009, 01:29 PM
any suggestion for amp and speakers? byt when choosing an amp, i have to match the power from the amp to the speakers' power? if speaker is 50 wat, the am can't be over 50 wat, am I right , thanks for help

Old 12-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/vid...ics-power.html

Zak: For example, to get that headroom, if you have a subwoofer that handles 200-watts RMS, power it with an amp that puts out 250-watts RMS.

Ken: It'll drive it cleanly and without distortion, especially when the volume is cranked and it'll do it better than an amp with less power. More power is always better.
If your amp produces less power than your speakers can use, it'll always be overworked. Exceeding the power requirements gives your amp "headroom".

My plan is to use an Alpine PDX-4.100 (4x100 watts rms) to drive Infinity Kappa 60.9cs's (90 watts rms) in the rear and Infinity Kappa 50.9cs's (80 watts rms) in the front. A separate amp will drive a 10" rear fender sub.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 12-18-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:34 PM
thanks for help Wrathernaut. if i install a 2-way component speaker(tweeter and woofer) in the front, can i still keep the factory bose tweeters working? because i want to have 2 tweeters in the front. any idea how this work ? as always, thanks

Old 12-18-2009, 02:57 PM
why do you want 2 tweeters that sound totally different from each other in the front? doesn't quite make sense to me

Old 12-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/vid...ics-power.html

If your amp produces less power than your speakers can use, it'll always be overworked. Exceeding the power requirements gives your amp "headroom".

My plan is to use an Alpine PDX-4.100 (4x100 watts rms) to drive Infinity Kappa 60.9cs's (90 watts rms) in the rear and Infinity Kappa 50.9cs's (80 watts rms) in the front. A separate amp will drive a 10" rear fender sub.
you might want to try a different amp...the pdx makes a lot of noise, and with the kappa's the noise will be even more evident than a warmer sounding speaker...

Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I'll keep that in mind. I really liked the Kappas in my old ride, they made cymbals sound fantastic.

+1 on not using both tweeters too. Just put the new ones in the factory location. A few extra minutes of wiring is definitely worth the years of properly listening enjoyment.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:05 PM
just confused about how to connect the wire from the factory amp to aftermarket amp, any idea? what is line out converter? do i need use it ? thanks

Old 12-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

If you're bypassing the factory amp for an aftermarket, you don't need a line out converter, as you're taking the line-out that goes into the bose amp and having that go into the inputs on the aftermarket amp.

Once you're doing, nothing goes in/out of the bose amp.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:41 AM
now that you have made this far making a decision to replace the bose amp, i would take the opportunity to do some searching and reading of the stickies. this topic has been discussed in about every other thread

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: upgrading my bose speaker