Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

new to detailing, need suggestions ☺

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new to detailing, need suggestions ☺

Hey guys im new to detailing. I have a 2007 black g35x sedan and want to get rid of swirls, light scratches and most of all, water spots. I never used a buffer and i want to invest in one along with a bunch of chemical guys products!!*

I need a few suggestions on what i should buy. Like i said i never used a buffer before and would love to get good at it to make my car pop!! Whats a good quality buffer to invest it? I want something that will last and I will pay whatever amount for It. I'm tired of using the standard autozone brush, I've heard that It scratches the heck out of your car, you guys have any ideas on what kind of mitt or sponge I should invest in too? Also, what are some good products from chemical guys to get my black cars paint popping again? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

Old 09-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Check out the detailing sub forum. It has a great read by a past member named Picus. Pretty much making paint pop is to compound out old scratches... Waxes only protect perfect paints.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
What autozone brush are you washing your car with?

To wash, I use a thick/plush microfiber mitt, two of them, and two buckets, with grit guards.

For the money and availability, I use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, Meg's Ult Polish, and Meg's Ult Wax applied with a Meg's DA polisher applied with foam pads.

I stay away from rotary polishers and wool pads. The work great in the right hands, but too easy to mess the paint up if in the wrong hands.

Meg's DA is a little light on the power, I will replace it with a Porter Cable 7424 when it burns up.

Chemical Guys make some good stuff. I love there soap, Maxi Suds II, get it in a gallon jug from Amazon, smells like cherries, super slippery, amazing cleaning properties.

But yes, check out the detailing sub forum, lots of good info.

Last edited by Hatchman; 09-22-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Hatchman
What autozone brush are you washing your car with? To wash, I use a thick/plush microfiber mitt, two of them, and two buckets, with grit guards. For the money and availability, I use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, Meg's Ult Polish, and Meg's Ult Wax applied with a Meg's DA polisher applied with foam pads. I stay away from orbital polishers and wool pads. The work great in the right hands, but too easy to mess the paint up if in the wrong hands. Meg's DA is a little light on the power, I will replace it with a Porter Cable 7424 when it burns up. Chemical Guys make some good stuff. I love there soap, Maxi Suds II, get it in a gallon jug from Amazon, smells like cherries, super slippery, amazing cleaning properties. But yes, check out the detailing sub forum, lots of good info.
Good guide here. The DA polisher mounts right up on your drill. Each time you wash your car it removes the wax... Which you should reapply (but most of us use a heavy wax with a light soap to delay waxing again).

Old 10-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I used to detail "professionally" (dealership) and my best advice to you would be to not touch your black car with any compound or buffer if you have never done it before. Even if you take it somewhere where to do detail work to have them buff it out, you still run the risk of it being swirled. Black is the most difficult paint to work with and not leave any marks. If you don't have any scratches or the paint doesn't look that bad get a polish and an orbital if you want to do this yourself. Don't apply tons of pressure just enough to work the polish on the paint and to remove it. Must buffers do not have a dial and will spin at 3000 rpm and if you're not careful it will burn the paint on edges/corners and potentially swirl if you're not experienced. If you're set on getting a buffer find someone with a white or silver car to practice on. Only apply and buff a 2ft x 2ft area and keep the pad flat and use constant motion on the buffer. Left to right or up and down, never in a circle and try not to angle it where you're only hitting the paint with one side of the pad. But if you just want your car shiny and don't want to pay the 200-300 for a full detail including buffing just grab the orbital some polish and a good wax. Don't use the spray stuff, it always leaves silicon streaks, and never do it in direct sunlight. I think I covered everything if not let me know.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:48 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
G
If you're just starting to detail, I'd recommend a Porter Cable 7424: http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...l-Buffer-P331/

It's much safer than a rotary buffer (you might burn through the paint with one of those if you don't know what you're doing).

As far as products, depending on your budget, search around on Detailed Image: http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...ailedimage.com

They have a lot of detailing products (including washing mitts), reviews, advice, and great customer service.

Good luck, do your research on detailing, and post pics after you've finished working on your car!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:47 AM
Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
How'd u get the emoji in the title!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I've been detailing my cars longer than most of you have been alive, in the last 5 years I discovered what works best to maintain high gloss perfection. www.griotsgarage.com sells a buffer kit that includes a vid so you can't make a mistake. Their products are some of the finest I've ever used! If you buy their Machine Polish & Wax kit #11620 it will last a life time (you'll need more cleaner/polish) and you'll love how your car looks!
Gary

Old 10-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
I've been detailing my cars longer than most of you have been alive, in the last 5 years I discovered what works best to maintain high gloss perfection. www.griotsgarage.com sells a buffer kit that includes a vid so you can't make a mistake. Their products are some of the finest I've ever used! If you buy their Machine Polish & Wax kit #11620 it will last a life time (you'll need more cleaner/polish) and you'll love how your car looks!
Gary
Gary the Auto Zone in my area is Now carrying Griots products, I'm thinking about buying their interior cleaner ($12) and 3in1 leather conditioner ($12), worth it? Thanks for your expert opinion.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:16 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
To be very honest I've never used their interior products but they've gotta be better than the crap Meguiar's sells. I've been using Zymol leather cleaner and conditioner for years, totally satisfied with the results...Gary