Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Clutch Hydraulic System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Hydraulic System

Hello,
I have an 2004 MT6 coupe. Today on my way to work, the pedal to the clutch felt really soft until halfway engaged. Could shift gears but really hard if clutch pedal was not pressed half way to the floor board. So after work started the car up fine, went to engage the clutch pedal and I mean all the way to the floor board and could not change into any gear. Had it towed to an Infiniti dealer and the technician told me there was a break in the line for the clutch hydraulic system. Would there be any damage to the flywheel or pressure plate during driving when the clutch pedal engaged gears only half way The pedal has always had a firm pressure feel when engaging gears, this had a really soft feel. Just want to make sure no other damage was done while driving with a leak in the hydraulic system?

Old 11-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You can drive a MT without using the clutch. I just wouldn't recommend it.
There is a chance that the throwout bearing would cause a metal to metal contact and damage the pressure plate. And if you have a known leak in the hydraulic system you should fix it asap or more damage will potentially occur.