Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

Need a New Engine... What to Do...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need a New Engine... What to Do...?

Hello everyone. I was the owner of a 2005 g35 coupe and at about 110k miles, the engine gave out. I was told by the dealership that I will have to replace it. My question here is, what is the best thing to do in my position?? I do NOT want to sell the car and get something else, as I don't have much money and have put so much into my car already. My friends are all saying I should scratch getting another vq and go with an rb25det, or something of the sort. I really like this idea, because that engine is half the price of a vq. Basically I want to know the most sensible, but still cost efficient thing to do in my situation. Replace the engine? Do a rb25 swap? Do the work myself or find a reputable place? I will respond with any needed information. Please help.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilt engines

Not sure what the dealer charges but I was looking to set a remanufactured engine and I heard good things about this place in Ca. that rebuilts engines for around 2 grand. I think they even install the engines also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291368918332?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 02-17-2015, 10:40 AM
So you'd suggest a rebuild? Not replacement?

Old 02-17-2015, 10:51 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Choices: On a budget you don't want to have the Stealership replace your motor! You could locate a Nissan wrecking yard and have them look for a low mileage VQ motor and have it installed. Rebuilt motor isn't a bad idea if they back their guarantee which would take some research...Gary

Old 02-17-2015, 12:28 PM
I am looking into places in my area that could rebuild the motor with a decent garuntee, and decent price. I have also heard about something called the lemon law. I live in Colorado, and I bought this car only a few months ago from a used car dealership. I read that they may he held responsible, because they DID tell me that nothing was wrong with the car, which really wasn't the case. There is no way that I destroyed the motor in 4000 MIles when all oil changes were done (even ahead of time) and all routine maintenance. I don't know if replacing the motor would be the best decision, as I'm strapped for cash. I am sure I could find a solid place to rebuild the motor, which is just as good as replacing it right? I am definitely NOT going to the stealership.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Rebuilding costs more than replacing with a used motor. You still have to remove and install a motor when you rebuild, only you'll be paying for more labor cuz they'll be rebuilding it.

Switching to another motor may be the most expensive choice you could come up with. Motors don't just swap between each other. There are mounts, computers, wiring harnesses, transmission mating issues and so on.

The absolute cheapest option is to do like Gary said and find a used motor and get em swapped. Save yourself some dough and do all the leg work yourself.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Rebuilt motors are only as good as the mechanic doing the job! If i's not something they do all the time and are good at (VQ motors) you could end up with a anchor you paid good $$ for!
Gary

Old 05-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought 2006 G35 from Carmax and engine blew the first month I bought the car. I didn't want to use junk yard engine so I bought a rebuilt engine from http://www.bestjapaneseengines.com/e...ti/infinitig35

My engine is running fine since the rebuilt engine was installed. I don't recommend anyone buying a used engine !