G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 12:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Starting Problems

Any help is appreciated.

So I'm having problems starting my car. I can turn on the ignition to acc and on. Everything looks fine and I can hear the fuel pump. As soon as I start to crank the engine nothing happens. No cranking or clicking, all the lights on the dashboard are turn off. All power is gone from the car. None of the interior lights work, even the power locks.

My battery was replaced about 4 months ago.

First thing I'm going to check when I get home is the fuses and take the battery to autozone to have looked at.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Rizzuh
Any help is appreciated.

So I'm having problems starting my car. I can turn on the ignition to acc and on. Everything looks fine and I can hear the fuel pump. As soon as I start to crank the engine nothing happens. No cranking or clicking, all the lights on the dashboard are turn off. All power is gone from the car. None of the interior lights work, even the power locks.

My battery was replaced about 4 months ago.

First thing I'm going to check when I get home is the fuses and take the battery to autozone to have looked at.
I had a similar problem where there was no power running to the car at all. My positive cable kept unconnecting it wasn't on tight enough every time I hit a bump it popped off.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical problems are always difficult to diagnose especially without knowing what you have checked.
Could be anything from fuses, relays, to ignition switch. generally speaking here,
the fuel pump primes... check fuses.
Maybe someone has had an issue like yours.
If there is no power going to the starter the engine wont crank obviously
so did this happen out of nowhere? did it start and no problems...
give us some more info,

Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Loose cables to the battery or dirty battery posts. Either that or your battery just needs to be charged, possibly due to a weak or dead alternator or some parasitic electronic device going rogue and draining power overnight.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:58 PM
I got my G running again. Somehow there was a loose connection with both battery terminals. Everything looked good but went to autozone anyways to get it checked out. Starter and alternator were fine but my battery came up as bad only after 4 months of use. Got it replaced under warranty.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:48 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Rizzuh
I got my G running again. Somehow there was a loose connection with both battery terminals. Everything looked good but went to autozone anyways to get it checked out. Starter and alternator were fine but my battery came up as bad only after 4 months of use. Got it replaced under warranty.
Make sure your battery mounting bracket is securely holding the battery in place so it can't rock or move around under hard braking or acceleration. I've noticed that our stock battery bracket tends to suck pretty badly. The pieces of the bracket at the far ends of it which go over the battery are too small to allow for much range of fitment for slightly larger or smaller than stock batteries. I have an Optima Redtop in my G and the bracket doesn't fit on it correctly so I just have to tighten it down so that the pressure of the bracket itself going across the top holds it in place rather than the L-Shaped guards on the end evenly touching the battery and securing it to where it needs to be. This is of course while using the Optima under-tray which raises the battery up so it's the proper height to fit in our car.

If you have a battery that is slightly smaller than stock dimensions, it may have slipped out from the initial tightening position due to those L-Brackets not lining up and the vibration and constant battery movement may have loosened the cables and also possibly even damaged the battery internals.