G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Air bag light after racing seat install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air bag light after racing seat install

so i installed some new light weight racing seats in my 04 coupe. swapped over the factory seat heaters into the new seats. those are the only wires i am currently using. I've got 4 point cam lock harnesses, so no seat belts. (not sure if the light comes on when they are unplugged because my seat belt light is currently covered my a small piece of electrical tape.) as you may infer, I'm not avid on wearing the factory belts. I have got the seat rails fabricated for the new seats, and locked into place. so no wires for motors are needed. and after tracing back the pigtails, i decided that would not need the seat modules (small box under the seats.) so i removed them and most of the wiring. the only lines still intact under the seats are the seatbelt, airbag, and 3-wire seat heater lines. the seat belts are still undetermined if i need to work with them, (will find out when i remove tape... the seat heaters work 100x better in these seats than the factory ones. but the airbag light has been flashing rapidly since i removed the first seat. i do not recall if the seat module had the pressure sensor wires running into it or if it came straight from the floor. i do not know if i am not performing the reset procedure correctly, or if there is a reason why that is tripping it immediately after the reset. here is what i know.

2.2k ohm resistors (1/2w) for each airbags wiring. (are these polar? i assumed not bc no one ever specifies in their write ups...)

being that the seats will be static, all sensors are disconnected. do certain ones need to be for this to work?

procedure: turn ign on for 7 sec. (as long as the airbag light stays solidly illuminated.)
turn ign off within 1 sec after airbag light solid illumination is d/c.
wait for more than 3 sec. (I have been waiting 4.)
repeat 2 more times. (3 in total.)
after this is i turn the sign on, the airbag light stays illuminated for 7 sec. then begin to flash slowly instead of rapidly. (i consider this to mean it is in diagnostic mode?)

i perform the procedure again but not to get the light out... it just returns to flashing rapidly instead of slowly....

anybody see my flaw here?

Old 01-31-2017, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
I thought the reset was 5 times repeated, not 3. Try that?

Old 01-31-2017, 10:40 PM
doesn't the fact that it changed the speed at which the light flashes after the initial 7 seconds confirm that it has been put into diagnostic mode, then back to the faster flashing after a repeat of the process, confirm back into user mode? by watching the lights it would appear i am doing the procedures correctly, but the system immediately recognizes an issue and puts the car back into fault and shuts down the existing air bags.

i suspect that a needed component of the system has been removed. however, i don't know which components are needed to complete the circuit? does the passenger seat in 04 coupes have a pressure sensor? not sure that i have ever seen or noticed a light indicating the passenger airbag is inactive due to less weight on the seat needed to activate the passenger air bag. this was my first suspicion. secondly, the modules under the seats are a giant ? to me. i had thought that they were for only the motors controlling seat adjustment, not so sure now.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:37 AM
okay, i have attempted to decipher the codes being read while in diagnostic mode. from what i can gather my issues are:
Front LH side air bag module
Front LH seat belt pre-tensioner

i have removed all the factory seat belts because i have cam lock harnesses now... why is it only tripping for the driver? and as i understand isn't the side air bag module the reason why i put the 2.2k ohm resistors in the air bag harnesses? why is driver now working? i switched leads, and same result after clearing the codes. so to answer my own question... resistors don't appear to be polar.

does anyone know what the resistance on a correctly operating pretensioner is for our cars? (2004 g35 coupe) the sensors electrical resistance anyway. found an 05 infiniti SUV schematic claiming exactly 2k ohm. so i thought putting a resistor in the leads for the pretensioner sensor would trick it into working as well. but no such luck.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:44 AM
ohh! and when trying to read the codes, the easiest way for me to break it down is in a two part. first, you will see a 3 sec illumination, or a 1.5 sec followed by a 1/2 sec break, followed by another 1.5 sec illumination. part two, you will see a series of quick flashes that should be evenly spaced in duration, and break.count them that is your part two.

link to visualize what i am trying to describe...
http://www.6mt.net/forum/g35-coupe/3...stic-code.html

but when my light is displaying codes, its like there is an extra flash on each code, ( it displays 2, on repeat.) after the part one before the series of quick flashes, there is an off time, unevenly spaced, slightly longer flash, i determined this flash to be void on each account. because it originally gave my a 3 sec. hold. then 4 quick flashes, and there is no reference code for that combo. but there is for a 3 sec. hold with 3 quick flashes.

sure hope i got this right, or I'm not even opening up the correct can of worms.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:10 PM
I have my airbag light on as well, computer reads B1134, shows the LH side airbag module, (side-impact module), i am going to order from ebay to see if it works, anybody here know how to do that? and where is that moduel located?

Thanks

Old 02-02-2017, 06:49 PM
okay, i can't get the light to go out for the airbag, or the pretensioner. on the pretensioner, one side is throwing a code the other is not. both are disconnected. i am going to try twisting the wires together to see if it will go out. i removed the air bags out of the seats, and reconnected the harnesses. without the case and bag of corse. hopefully that will get the light out. will keep posted. for anyone wanting racing seats, or planning to remove the factory seat belts for different harnesses.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:45 AM
Originally Posted by Alex Zhou
I have my airbag light on as well, computer reads B1134, shows the LH side airbag module, (side-impact module), i am going to order from ebay to see if it works, anybody here know how to do that? and where is that moduel located?

Thanks
that should be the air bag in the factory seat. there is one on the outside upper shoulder. there is a connector under the seat that is yellow. on the side that runs into the floor, you are supposed to be able to insert a 2.2k ohm resistor into it and clear that code, i had no such luck. i removed the air bag from the seat and then stripped the bag and plastic shroud from it, so only the metal cylinder remained. then hooked it back up and did the reset procedure, and my code was gone. resistor are like $1 at radio shack. or do what i did and use the old airbag.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.