G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Wind noise throws me off Infiniti

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:40 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Wind noise throws me off Infiniti

The annoying wind noise comes out while I was driving 3 of my friends back home at only 50mph. It become louder while I was cruising on freeway at 70mph. My friends on the back asked me what is that noise. I told him, it's the wind noise. He said what and asked me again. My other friend said it loud "It is the wind noise." This time the guy shut up but I can feel they are laughing on the back about the wind noise in a 07 Infiniti. This makes me feel very bad. It totally turned me off. I don't have the pride of driving Infiniti G35 any more after that embarrassing moment. There is still no fix for this stupid wind noise yet.
I am looking to trade my 07 G35 with premium package and sport wheels for a Lexus IS350. If anyone knows someone who wants to trade their IS350 for a G35 and some money, please tell them to email me at m_phalanx@yahoo.com

Thanks

Old 09-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
There's a bulletin for wind noise in 07 sedans... is it from the sunroof or rear windows?

Last edited by dofu; 09-27-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
But beyond the moonroof TSB, there is a noise issue in the G.
When people first started talking about this, my G was very quiet on the highway.
Now, I also have severe wind noise on the highway, and it's clearly coming from the doors/side windows.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
were not the only one....the acura tl has similar wind noise even though the type-s is suppose to have special devices in the door to cancel it.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:13 AM
I came SUPER close to buying a Lexus IS.
I have spent many hours in that forum and those guys are complaining about the same thing as well.

The Type-S has noise cancelation. I don't own one but my day long loaners, I didn't notice it as much of anything special.
Hopefully, it works well enough to mask out the rattles and squeaks that plague many a TL.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:17 AM
you dont hear any rattles in the tl all, but you can hear the wind being channeled through the doors at about 60mph on the type-s..its a little annoying.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:07 AM
If you don't hear rattles in the TL, consider yourself lucky.

I'm not slamming the TL... it was on my short list and was the final contender before I decided on the G.... but the TL is plagued with rattles.
Some owners get lucky and don't experience them, but most do.

I have a friend that just got rid of his 07 TL for a 05 G35. Rattles were one reason.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:16 AM
I've got the wind noise in my 08, and think its coming from the air moving between the side mirror and window. No air leaks, its just fluttering wind sound.
I feel the same way as described in the first thread, and expressed my thoughts to the dealer. The service manager called me up and said he'd do anything he could to remedy the problem, however I see it as a design flaw rather than a problem that can be fixed. The sunroof is a desing flaw as-well, it is extremely loud when its open.
The rear deck seat belts springs rattle, and there is nothing that can be done about that either.

It pretty obvious to me that this car was designed with a low budget in mind, slap an infinity decal on it and charge a premium.
I might be trading in as-well.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
One happy owner here...

Old 09-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
One happy owner here...
/\ +1

Old 09-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting. We've owned an 08 G35X for about two weeks. We've only had it on the highway once for about two hours. There's always wind noise in any car but I didn't notice anything objectionable. Is this something that develops over time or truly a design problem that is there from day one? Is it something that Infiniti addressed in the 08's? But then again, my daily driver is an S2000 and I drive with the top down almost all the time. Talk about wind noise! I can tolerate top down motoring just fine. I guess my reference point may not be the best.

The noise that I noticed most came from the tires. We traveled over a section of asphalt that had been scored for repaving and the tire noise was transmitted into the cabin pretty harshly. More so than some other cars. But I attribute this to a relatively stiff structure and stiff suspension. Once we were back on unscored (normal) asphalt, the noise was very acceptable. I can live with a bit more road noise on occasion in exchange for a stiff structure and tight suspension tuning if that means better handling all the time. This is after all supposed to be a sports sedan with gadgets not a pure luxury car.

As for sun/moonroof noise, I think those things are the most useless contraptions ever designed to extract money from a buyers pocket. I never ever use them in our cars. A hole in the roof of a sedan does not equal top down motoring. All they do is make noise. If I want to be connected to the world around me, I put the top down on the S2K. A sunroof doesn't come close. Keep it buttoned up.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wind noise is primarily an issue in the triple digits.

If you can carry a conversation at 70, or even 80, without raising your voice at all, then wind noise is not an issue.

Lexus attempts to COMPLETELY isolate you from your outside environment, Infiniti does not.

@ spud: Ever try driving with earplugs in? That'll let you isolate the NVH source; 'sound' is blocked out, but vibrations will still be VERY apparent. Tire noise will be almost all vibration. It also lets you know if a road is truely well paved or not.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
@ spud: Ever try driving with earplugs in? That'll let you isolate the NVH source; 'sound' is blocked out, but vibrations will still be VERY apparent. Tire noise will be almost all vibration. It also lets you know if a road is truely well paved or not.
LOL, yes! Actually I have some shooter's plugs. They don't block all noise like industrial plugs. They are designed to prevent high amplitude noise peaks from damaging your ears. You can easily carry on a conversation with them in. But, ear plugs are technically illegal in CT. Even though they are a barely noticeable ear canal design, I don't use them often as I'm afraid if I get stopped I'll catch hell for it.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess I should mention I have a CR with some... noise unfriendly mods (not i/e... both stock)

Earplugs are a must for long drives if the windows are up

Old 09-27-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't know if the hard top on the CR is better or worse than the soft top for noise but with my soft top up, the noise is much more annoying in the S2K. That's one reason I drive every chance I get with the top down. Another is the fact that topless, you have great visibility. With the soft top up, left/right visibility is severely impaired and I can't see traffic lights as they always seem to be at or above the windshield header. With the top down, lights hanging at a high angle are no problem, I just look up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wind noise throws me off Infiniti