G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Chiming/Rattle Noise coming from engine bay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiming/Rattle Noise coming from engine bay

Anyone know what this ringing/chiming noise coming from my engine bay? It is most noticeable when I accelerate at any speed and most noticeable when the engine goes a little quiet when the transmission shifts.

2007 Infiniti G35x - 165,000 miles

I've tried to do some research but I can't find out exactly what it is :|

Any help is very much appreciated!

Old 11-01-2016, 12:29 PM
Anyone know? I'm worried that the noise could lead to something more severe in the future.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:08 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
165,000 miles? I'm guessing it's the timing chain, possibly has some slack on it. Tightens up on acceleration, loosens up as the RPM's start to drop. Check the condition of the timing chain tensioner, might need replaceent.

FYI it's very hard to hear, had to put my headphones on and crank up to 10

Old 11-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by willdogs
165,000 miles? I'm guessing it's the timing chain, possibly has some slack on it. Tightens up on acceleration, loosens up as the RPM's start to drop. Check the condition of the timing chain tensioner, might need replaceent.

FYI it's very hard to hear, had to put my headphones on and crank up to 10
Thank you tons for the reply!
I've been starting to think it's the timing chain as well.
Would the issue also be the chain or just the tensioner? How do I check the health of the tensioner?

Old 11-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Duuude

Hey man it could be the catalytic converter. This is really common in nissans and infiniti vehicles. I just bought a 2008 g35x with the cat rattling I knew what it was had a few friends with me that are mechanics before purchase. I bought the cat brand new for $339 and the Labour was 200 . Not bad for how scary the noise is. It could be that or the timing belt stuff listed above . Good luck

Old 11-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Bmurphy380
Thank you tons for the reply!
I've been starting to think it's the timing chain as well.
Would the issue also be the chain or just the tensioner? How do I check the health of the tensioner?
Unfortunately its not a DYI type of thing unless you are very mechanically inclined.

You would most likely have to remove the timing chain cover to check/view the condition of the tensioner and timing chain guides as well as see how much slack there is in the chain, timing chains need replacement as well over time due to them stretching. With your high mileage, its a very good possibility.

Here are some videos of what is involved
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ing+chain+vq35

Old 11-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Monkeyfistss
Hey man it could be the catalytic converter. This is really common in nissans and infiniti vehicles. I just bought a 2008 g35x with the cat rattling I knew what it was had a few friends with me that are mechanics before purchase. I bought the cat brand new for $339 and the Labour was 200 . Not bad for how scary the noise is. It could be that or the timing belt stuff listed above . Good luck
Interesting! I really started to notice the sound after I put my mufflers back on the car after I took them off one weekend to have a "high school experience".

How can I pin point the noise between the timing chain or cats? Anyone know?

Old 11-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Monkeyfistss
Good Call

Best bet would be to have someone rev the engine as you walk around the car to pinpoint exactly where you hear the noise coming from. Start there and then troubleshoot that area.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:16 PM
I Knew before hand thanks to my friends but you can take it to a mechanic you trust and they should check it and tell you right away they shouldn't charge for something like that. But if you look into it it's super common.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.