G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

high flow cats in california

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high flow cats in california

Anyone have any suggestions? Im having a hard time finding one that's carb legal here in Cali. Thanks much

Old 02-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
i have not heard of any, maybe some one here knows of one.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Not sure if or how CA emissions laws are changing lately, but the last time I checked, it is illegal to mess with the cats, period. The only justification the law allows to change them out is if its broken and needs to be replaced, and even still, only specific pre-approved cats may be used. How do they know what you have? They try to look to see what you have down there. You need to study, learn, and get used to working with those types of laws since you live in the state that leads emissions regulations and testing.

With that said, any of this equipment is legal for any off-road vehicle.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
Not sure if or how CA emissions laws are changing lately, but the last time I checked, it is illegal to mess with the cats, period. The only justification the law allows to change them out is if its broken and needs to be replaced, and even still, only specific pre-approved cats may be used. How do they know what you have? They try to look to see what you have down there. You need to study, learn, and get used to working with those types of laws since you live in the state that leads emissions regulations and testing.

With that said, any of this equipment is legal for any off-road vehicle.
So they just eye it up and see if it looks aftermarket?
What if you heat wrap the HFC's....... heat wrap oem cats would look pretty similar to heat wrapped HFC's.

I'm in FL so no worries here, but just a thought/suggestion

Old 02-13-2017, 02:04 PM
SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
HFC are no good in California at all. However, everyone does it. Just have to be smart about doing it and I'm sure someone on the boards here can tell you where to get your inspection done. :-)

Old 02-13-2017, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Lol ^.

You could always swap to stock cats for a day of inspection also.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I've always swapped my hi flows out right before inspection time but I've left the originals in since my last smog. I'm sure there are places you can go and have it done with the hi flows on but it'll cost you more $$$ in the end than it may be worth.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
So they just eye it up and see if it looks aftermarket?
What if you heat wrap the HFC's....... heat wrap oem cats would look pretty similar to heat wrapped HFC's.

I'm in FL so no worries here, but just a thought/suggestion
Almost every time I got pulled for speeding, the cop ends up on his knees trying to catch me without a cat. One cop got so frustrated that he couldn't find any illegal mods, he started threatening that my stock intake manifold was illegally modified, and that my strut bar must be illegal too. Yea, I laughed so hard in his face right there.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Lol ^.

You could always swap to stock cats for a day of inspection also.
This is what they do in England as well, but the police will (99% of the time) never try to catch you out while you're on the road. Penalties for Bald tires/dark tints/extremely loud exhaust etc will be at their discretion though.

Originally Posted by dofu
Almost every time I got pulled for speeding, the cop ends up on his knees trying to catch me without a cat. One cop got so frustrated that he couldn't find any illegal mods, he started threatening that my stock intake manifold was illegally modified, and that my strut bar must be illegal too. Yea, I laughed so hard in his face right there.
What if you're so low that they can't check underneath? But then I guess, some states it is illegal to modify the suspension right?

But seriously with the heat wrap thing, they can't be peeling it off to check what you have. That's messing with your car surely? Or would they just say heat wrap an "illegal modification" too.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
This is what they do in England as well, but the police will (99% of the time) never try to catch you out while you're on the road. Penalties for Bald tires/dark tints/extremely loud exhaust etc will be at their discretion though.

What if you're so low that they can't check underneath? But then I guess, some states it is illegal to modify the suspension right?

But seriously with the heat wrap thing, they can't be peeling it off to check what you have. That's messing with your car surely? Or would they just say heat wrap an "illegal modification" too.
In Cali, when it comes to ride height, there are many things they can ticket you for such as height of the plates, headlights, etc... but the biggest thing you need to worry about is that the lowest point on your car must not be lower than the lowest point of the rims. So in other words, to avoid getting your car towed, the sidewalls and exhaust dictate how low you can technically lower your car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.