Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Stillen Engine Damper

Old 07-31-2007, 02:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
Stillen Engine Damper

I was able to get one of these things from a friend for very cheap. He bought it and never installed it before he sold his G. Honestly, I was just installing this for looks since my engine bay has the following: anodized red fluid caps, some red Samco hoses and I painted the plastic covers for the battery and brake fluid red to match hoses. I thought, what the hell, it will look nice. Much to my surprise when I started the car I noticed a difference right away, but not nearly as much as when I drove the car. I know this sounds crazy, but the car feels much more solid and the motor definitely feels like it is on solid mounts. I am not a mechanic, professional driver or wizard tuner. I drive my car every day and know how it feels. I like working on my car and making it work better on the street. The install was relatively easy and straight forward. The main thing is that I can really "FEEL" the difference. It is not about more power, but how the car feels. Especially under acceleration and changing gears. The car just feels more solid! I have noticed more vibration in the car while at idle, but a worth while addition to my car. And it does look good as well.

Last edited by DRG35R; 07-31-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Stillen Engine Damper

How is it going guys? Well I just spent about 45min installing the stillen engine damper and all I can say is WOW! The thing made a night and day difference in the performance of the car.

When I first started the car up you could tell that there was a little bit more vibration going through the car, but you really really had to pay attention to it to even notice. The first thing that really shocked me was the whole exhaust note of the car was different, even my mom was messing around in the garden and came over to ask why my car sounded different. The second thing I noticed when I started to drive the car was that the shifts from gear to gear were sooo much smoother, not really faster, just super smooth. The third thing was the throttle response - as soon as you touch the gas pedal the car had instant acceleration, no delay . The fourth thing that I noticed, that was a huge difference, was the bottom end power of the car. From a stand still there was no delay and the car just wanted to go - seem much quicker off the line...so bottom end of the car was substantially improved.

Hope this helps some of you guys who are looking to install this, but are hesitant due to lack of feedback on this part.

I will try to post up some pictures when i can get a camera that works.

-Sean

Old 08-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's funny; I noticed LESS vibration after I installed mine. Everything else you stated I noticed too. Great little mod.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Cool...thanks.
Been curious about that for over a year. Same with Stillens master cylinder brace too.
Wonder if the results are the same with a 6mt.
Post pics when you can.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Cool...thanks.
Been curious about that for over a year. Same with Stillens master cylinder brace too.
Wonder if the results are the same with a 6mt.
Post pics when you can.
ditto on the 6MT comment

Old 08-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
pics plz +3 on the 6MT

Old 08-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I had one for a while with my SC and noticed a little but not much. Had to take it off because one of the Greddy intakes had to go there.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:37 PM
there is only more vibration at low idle. I am really loving the feel of my car all over again.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
How is it going guys? Well I just spent about 45min installing the stillen engine damper and all I can say is WOW! The thing made a night and day difference in the performance of the car.

When I first started the car up you could tell that there was a little bit more vibration going through the car, but you really really had to pay attention to it to even notice. The first thing that really shocked me was the whole exhaust note of the car was different, even my mom was messing around in the garden and came over to ask why my car sounded different. The second thing I noticed when I started to drive the car was that the shifts from gear to gear were sooo much smoother, not really faster, just super smooth. The third thing was the throttle response - as soon as you touch the gas pedal the car had instant acceleration, no delay . The fourth thing that I noticed, that was a huge difference, was the bottom end power of the car. From a stand still there was no delay and the car just wanted to go - seem much quicker off the line...so bottom end of the car was substantially improved.

Hope this helps some of you guys who are looking to install this, but are hesitant due to lack of feedback on this part.

I will try to post up some pictures when i can get a camera that works.

-Sean
Funny, I just installed one this week and you descibed the feeling better than I did in my post. This is one great little mod. I'm loving it!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review...

Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Yes, it definitely improves the shifting feel. A little more vibration in the cabin because the damper is transferring the movement onto the chassis (ie. more pronounced rattling/vibrating at idle). But worth it!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Careful where you mount it to though. I had one and it actually broke the mount where it attaches to the frame. Someone suggested solid mounts but I have yet to find some and well I bought the car with it on so I don't know if those were solid mounts to begin with

Old 08-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had the stillen one installed this past weekend as well. Everything described by DRG35 is true!

Definitely noticed the feel being more solid, and the torque from the engine being transferred more directly to the wheels, for example chirping from first to second is effortless.. the torque is more instantaneous. This should help in drag racing.. we'll see..

Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely noticed the feel being more solid, and the torque from the engine being transferred more directly to the wheels, for example chirping from first to second is effortless.. the torque is more instantaneous. This should help in drag racing.. we'll see..

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen Engine Damper